Originally Posted by goazugo
I would like to know if this problem exists on all brands and what other fixes may be availiable besides x-bracing as this is done at Precision Paint in Indiana and I live in Utah.
I've learned not to give advice to folks smarter than me, so I'll just relay our experience
I had the ol' bulging brow
problem at a resort in our Patriot Thunder
, immediately apparent when a light rain results in a steady shower onto the dashboard.
Since we'd had rain earlier in the week, it was obvious that the problem occurred when sealant slopped along the upper edge of the windshield earlier in its life had simply given up the ghost.
I compounded the bad craftsmanship with my fix: using a ratchet strap and suction handle from ACE RV Supply, jammed the tip of a RTV Sealant tube between the upholstery and windshield seal, and let 'er rip. After emptying two tubes into the void, I let it cure 24 hours and then drove 400 miles back home.
Along the way, we checked at every stop: it remained tightly glued in place.
But, the day after our arrival, it was popped again.
So, I removed the interior around the windshield. Things suddenly got simple. The Monaco seal is basically a big "H" cross-sectioned piece of rubber.
The outboard part of the H clasps the (relatively flimsy) fiberglass of the coach and the inboard clasps the glass.
At first, I bought off on entries that suggested replacing this seal; but, mine was still moist, pliable, new.
Looking closer, the fiberglass was a mess of various types of adhesive, blindly squirted in response to various leaks, I assume.
Using modern chemistry, I carefully softened and removed the caulking from both fiberglass and the windshield itself, from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Pulling out this much seal appears to be safe: the windshield won't tumble out with the other two-thirds of its seal still seated.
A Purdy 6 in 1 tool is very helpful, but USE EXTREME CARE not to cut the seal as you pry.
After all the extraneous pooky was taken off, I wet everything down and slathered the area with dish soap, got a stout piece of cotton cord and set to work. With a section of seal firmly seated on the fiberglass, I "led" the 6 in 1 with drenched cord, which was anchored to the chair with a bungee. Every foot or so, I'd dash back into the rig to make sure the seal was firmly seated onto the newly-cleaned fiberglass. Using the suction handle, I gently pushed and jiggled the glass; the objective being that as the windshield moved closer to the coach it in essence "grows" into the seal. Sure enough, by the time I snapped into place the last 3" of seal, the installation was suddenly tight and secure, with a "gumline" of about 5/8" (a redneck term of my own invention measuring the amount of rubber overlapping the exterior glass).
My inept predecessors had squirted caulk in such a way to push the windshield away from the coach. Following the cue of YouTube experts, I'm electing to "lock" the seal into a distended position by injecting the proper Urethane caulking under that portion of the seal clasping the glass.
Hopefully, I'm on the right track. It looks good, feels secure.
At the same time, a friend who is brand new to this business has a Holiday Rambler Ambassador
with the same problem, lower driver's side corner.
I figure if I make it to his house without my windshield popping out, we're good to attempt the same remedy on his rig.