Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #1

Windshield replacement

Chip spread to a large crack across the passenger side windshield before I could get it fixed. I didn't want to file a claim for the chip right after changing insurance companies.

Who is the recommended company for a new windshield in the Phx area? Any company to shy way from? I want it done right the first time. Any problems with getting a windshield for a MH company that has gone belly up?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Safelite is the best according to multiple friends. I would call them first. I also understand that there is a company called "Maverick" in the Phoenix area that has done a good job for one person I know.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We are using this guy to repair the wimdows with the creeping gaskete. His prices are reasonable Auto Glass Boss - Mesa - Apache Junction - Chandler - Gilbert Arizona Haven't used him for a windshield. We got our 99 Tradewinds Pass side windshield replaced last year, the glass had to be ordered out of Phoenix but no problem getting it. Here is a copy of the bid. I also had the gsaket replaced so there are charges to remove the drivers side glass and replace the figure eight gasket.

The quote for your windshield

1999 National Trade Winds Motorhome

Right Windshield and Gasket

Glass : 429.00

Gasket : 225.00

Crate Charge : 75.00

Freight Charge : 95.00

Installation of right windshield 175.00

Removal and installation of left windshield and gasket 175.00

Total 1174.00

Tax 80.41

Grand Total : 1254.41

The glass takes about a week for delivery.

I can not be held responsible if the drivers side gets broken during removal and installation but rest assured we have not broken one in several years.

We offer a life time guaranty against leaks or defects in workmanship.

I would need 1/2 down to order the glass = 627.20.

We accept Master Card, Visa, and Discover.

A-1 GLASS DEPOT

BRIAN KELLY 505-299-5533

CELL 505-401-0132

This guy was in Albuquerque so the cost will vary but it should give you some idea of the damage to expect.

Dick
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #4

Full glass coverage insurance. Safelite has some somewhat convincing TV adds for their chip repair. I'll have to see if Allstate has to have a certain glass company or it is my choice.

I've been using Harmon Auto Glass with good results for my trucks. CRS cause me to call another company and they brought out the wrong glass for one of my trucks. Told the dispatcher that if they can't get it right the first time, I didn't want to do business with them. If insurance lets me and they can get the glass, I'll probably go with them. Just wanted to see what irv2 had to say and if there was any companies to avoid.

Bookmarked the above link. Thx

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Check Nomad Glass for pricing also. They have a nationwide network of installers and offer a Good Sam discount.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

Coach Glass

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #7

Not worried about price. Insurance company might. Thx for the replies. Will post results.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #8

Because it's an RV, it took talking to 4-5 people to get it set up. Went with Clear Cut Auto Glass. Agent suggested doing both the cracked passenger side and the chipped driver side. New rubber too. Fine by me. Thx for the suggestions.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #9

Clear Cut quit returning my phone calls so I went with Auto Glass Boss. Took two guys 4 hours to replace both windshields and the gasket. They did a good job and it is guaranteed for life against leaks or any other problem.

Only took two days to get the glass from Coach Glass, who is only a glass supplier, not an installer.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Dunner

What day did Joe replace your Windshields. He came to our Park in Mesa on Dec. 1st and repaired six creeping gaskets in our 99 Tradewinds. A great job at what I concider a real good price.

Dick
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #11

Tuesday, Dec 6th. He says most of his work is RVs. I'm guessing it took so long because it was the coldest day of the year so far, and the gasket was less than cooperative.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Guys here in Albuquerque replaced my gasket and the passengers side windshield, which ment they had to remove the drivers side and replace it as well. It took two guys about four hours to do mine as well so that must be about the right time.

Dick
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #13

The problem is, the front cap sags when they remove the windshields. Not much, but enough to make it difficult to get the new glass in.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The problem is, the front cap sags when they remove the windshields. Not much, but enough to make it difficult to get the new glass in.
Yea Especially if the heavy glass TV hasn't been replaced with a Flat Screen.

Dick

Tags
replacement