Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #1

Windshield replacement

Just had my windshield replaced and the tint at the top is about 6" shorter then the other side.Anyone add window tint to even it out? Ideas

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing the tint is right in the glass? Sounds like the shop did not get the proper replacement.

I see no reason you could not apply standard window tint film to make it look better (more even).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Haven't had to replace windshield but tinted the top 17" and no longer need to use the sun visors, worked out great.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I would not have accepted the installation
Old 02-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

I agree. They ordered the wrong replacement window. Code on bottom corner of the window tells the style of the window and the tint. You need to have them replace with the correct windshield. Do you have the old original window to match up the code numbers? Good luck!
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicknBambi View Post
I agree. They ordered the wrong replacement window. Code on bottom corner of the window tells the style of the window and the tint. You need to have them replace with the correct windshield. Do you have the old original window to match up the code numbers? Good luck!
the left and right codes should be the same except for L or R. I recently had mine replace and they replace both at the same time because the tint would have been different and that was unacceptable.
HINT - If it is insurance then make sure that both windows are broken to get both replaced. Just ad a little New Jersey Justice to the other window.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

I had the proper documentation numbers off the windshield. Insurance replaced the glass at no cost. Glass company made three 45 miles trips so I could repair the rust in my shop that caused the problem to start with. So I can live with adding tint to the top. They also put windshield urethane to the top of the glass so water will not be trapped.

I was told by Duncan that this is the right glass replacement, however, in some of the older units the tint will not match. I am thinking about the dark limo tint about 17 or 18 inches down.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #8

I had mine done last year, I was so disappointed. I took it over and had them both tinted to try to match, close, but now the drivers tint comes down low and I lose visibility. If I had to do over again, I'd replace both windshields because they'll both be broken and the tint will be more to factory spec or I'd refuse the glass.
The resolution of the case was Duncan paid me $90.00 reimbursement for the window tint. Progressive was less than supportive, had a matter of fact, read the fine print snooty-tude. I realize a perfect match was not possible but as you can see in the pic I was left with a clown car and to be honest, a safety issue trying to adjust vision from one side to the other.
I sent numbers off the glass and year of the coach as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	117952  
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #9

Just be careful of the dark limo tint you still need to see the traffic light when you are the first in line at a stop light. I went one shade lighter than dark limo and it has worked out great.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
the left and right codes should be the same except for L or R. I recently had mine replace and they replace both at the same time because the tint would have been different and that was unacceptable.
HINT - If it is insurance then make sure that both windows are broken to get both replaced. Just ad a little New Jersey Justice to the other window.
Be careful, this can backfire. A long time ago I owned a house with aluminum siding. A big storm come through and tore up the neighborhood. I wanted some of that new fangled vinyl siding so bad ,I told my wife lets commit insurance fraud. I took a ball pein hammer and played the xylophone all over the house. The adjuster came out and said it wasn't hail damage. I called them back and throwed a big fit! They sent another adjuster out, my wife dealt with them and they paid the claim. As he was leaving he said to tell your husband that hail doesn't remove the paint in the dent. Next time not to use a hammer on the house. I yelled and chased him down the driveway and asked him if that was true for cars too. [you know for future reference]. My wife was so embarrassed I always had to drop off the payment.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Just be careful of the dark limo tint you still need to see the traffic light when you are the first in line at a stop light. I went one shade lighter than dark limo and it has worked out great.
Thanks---- did not think about looking up!!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

windshield tint

this is what its looks like !!!
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #13

That looks nice. Great idea, does it obstruct your view at redlights and such?
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
That looks nice. Great idea, does it obstruct your view at redlights and such?
Just got back from a 400 mile weekend trip and I like it !!! Might be harder to see the light a little when you are sitting under it ,but not a problem---- I went 20" from top of windshield but next time I will try 18" where the original tint was--- Biggest thing it took a little time to get use to at night

Tags
replacement, replace, ace