Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From the Magne Shade Web Site:
"
Q: What color Sun Control Screen is more effective for heat reduction?
A: Dark colors are more effective than light colors on exterior screens.

Q: How much ultraviolet light do Sun Control Screens block?
A: UV blockage depends on the fabric’s weave and openness. In general, the UV blockage percentage will be the reciprocal of the openness factor."

For more FAQ's vist the FAQ Page

Edited: More information:
"
Darker color fabrics provide greater protection from UV rays than do lighter color fabrics." Taken from Health Topics

I take that to mean that the UV Rays are blocked better with the dark color screen. Since I have only the dark color screen I cannot do a comparison, but I can tell you that the dark gray(black) color does a wonderful job.

And for kickers, when the temperature was 100+ degrees I went to a hardware store and bought a roll of NASA Aluminim Foil something or other, and cut it to fit in the drivers side windows. That is where all of our big windows are. Talk about making a big, big difference, wow! Those foils are now nicely placed between the couch arm and the back of the bench seat of the dinning area.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
We must have gone to different schools. No, really, I think you've got it back wards. Light colors (white being the best), reflect more light(think heat) and darker colors (black) absorb the most light/heat. And that right there is why, when I camp out and bask in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart, I'm able to get a tan much faster than normal! Bob
I always thought the same thing, if in Phoenix, buy a white car...but the shade makers say black is best for shades.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
From the Magne Shade Web Site:
"
Q: What color Sun Control Screen is more effective for heat reduction?
A: Dark colors are more effective than light colors on exterior screens.

Q: How much ultraviolet light do Sun Control Screens block?
A: UV blockage depends on the fabric’s weave and openness. In general, the UV blockage percentage will be the reciprocal of the openness factor."

Who'd a thunk it... It does go against what I thought. Maybe, and it's understandable, a dark color does absorb more UV and provides better protection. Heat was what I was asking about...does the heat absorbed into the dark color transfer into the glass making it hotter? Last I checked, a black car is hotter to the touch than a white one. Maybe I need to go back to school?? Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Retired SKP
If we can be of any assistance when you start your project please feel free to PM us or post here. Let us know how things go.

The difficult we will complete today. The impossible may take a little longer.
Az Bound,

I found a local Tarp & Awning company and visited with them. They said they would sew up anything I wanted. The fellow I talked to showed me some material that was 80% but it was too stiff for my taste. I intend to visit them again to see if they would work with material that I furnished. I think I am going to try some "Suntex 90 Solar Screen". I found a source for buying by the linear foot.

I bought some magnets from Radio Shack just to check them out. The package said "DE 28". The are very weak. I then ordered some from K&J Megnetics. I ordered the DX04, 1 inch in diameter, 1/4 inch thick. They are listed as "N42". This may have no correlation whatsoever. Just curious on my part.

I will let you know when there is further progress.

RetiredSKP
Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
Home Page
you need your shades on the exterior to keep the heat out. With the inside shades, the heat has already made it inside. Exterior shades will give your air conditioners a break.
Why are “Inside Mounted Shades” better than “Outside Mounted Shades”?

Outside shades are nice; they do the job, however they must be used. Our experience and that of our customers tell us that RV Quick Shades are so easy and so quick they are used each time you stop.
Rainy? Heavy dew? What do you do with WET outside shades upon your departure?
RV Quick Shades come off the window clean and dry ready to go back up again when you arrive at your destination.

Tests have shown that when a heat indicator was used to compare our RV Quick Shades mounted on the inside to a shade mounted on the outside( made with the same density), the temperature measured 18" back from the windshield proved nearly identical, with the inside shade actually being one degree cooler.

Both shades inside or out, are designed to give you daytime privacy and reduce the UV and heat in your coach. Many die hard outside shade customers also have purchased the inside shades, they know the benefits and they also know that they do not use the outside shades each time they travel.
RV Quick Shades are the shade you will consistently use. They are up and down in a minute - stay clean and dry.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #48

Looks like my little question has rambled on and on. My shades arrived and I have tried them out. Very very precise and fit perfectly. Got the black because, for some strange reason, the black reflects more heat than other colors...like other posters, I thought black absorbed heat. They are high dollar, but it seems to be a case of "you get what you pay for." Although not specified, it appears the guarantee is for as long as you own them.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Considering inside versus outside, I would expect that temperature measurements taken on the inside shade would be slightly cooler since there is a vapor barrier between the widow and the shade. I have seen some of the inside shades that pull down from the overhead and there is a gap of 6 to 12 inches between the shade and the window. My question for this is, where does all the heat in between the shade and window go?

Does anyone have a scientific study on inside versus outside?

But hey! I have what I have and I'm not spending a fortune for 1 degree of cool.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSKP View Post
Az Bound,

I found a local Tarp & Awning company and visited with them. They said they would sew up anything I wanted. The fellow I talked to showed me some material that was 80% but it was too stiff for my taste. I intend to visit them again to see if they would work with material that I furnished. I think I am going to try some "Suntex 90 Solar Screen". I found a source for buying by the linear foot.

I bought some magnets from Radio Shack just to check them out. The package said "DE 28". The are very weak. I then ordered some from K&J Megnetics. I ordered the DX04, 1 inch in diameter, 1/4 inch thick. They are listed as "N42". This may have no correlation whatsoever. Just curious on my part.

I will let you know when there is further progress.

RetiredSKP
The N is the material they are made of. in this case it is Neodymium. The grade number refers to the strength of the magnet. with 52 being the highest. A grade N42 would have a direct pull release strength of 25 lbs.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
But hey! I have what I have and I'm not spending a fortune for 1 degree of cool.
If you have outside ones now. Wait until they need replaced.

The RV Quick Shades are within less then 1" from the Windshield.
And the great thing is they don't cost a fortune and will save you about 1/2 the price of the outside covers.
For the inside windshield they are $80-100.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are looking to keep the heat out and avoid having your air conditioner running all the time, you want shades that install on the outside. Inside shades will not block the heat. The outside shades blocks the heat before if enters your coach.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
If you are looking to keep the heat out and avoid having your air conditioner running all the time, you want shades that install on the outside. Inside shades will not block the heat. The outside shades blocks the heat before if enters your coach.
They sure seem to on mine. I have the MCD shades (black for the day shades) on the inside and if a shade with the sun shining on it is raised you can immediately feel the heat. They are about an inch from the glass.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Considering inside versus outside, I would expect that temperature measurements taken on the inside shade would be slightly cooler since there is a vapor barrier between the widow and the shade. I have seen some of the inside shades that pull down from the overhead and there is a gap of 6 to 12 inches between the shade and the window. My question for this is, where does all the heat in between the shade and window go?

Does anyone have a scientific study on inside versus outside?

The test can be performed without the need for any scientists.
Pick any window that is in direct sunlite.
Hang shading material on the outside of the window and wait about 1/2 hr. Put your hand on it and feel the temperature of the glass.
Hang any type of shade over the inside of the window.
Wait about 1/2 hr. and slide your hand under the shade. the glass is still hot.
You have now done your own test and proven that inside shades do not stop the heat transfer through the glass.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #55

If you happen to be in the Tampa area, stop in at Lazydays. There is a company, Wade RV, on the property (I don't think he is connected with Lazydays other than renting space), who made a three piece set for my coach in 1/2 day while I was off doing something else. About $450 for the set, exterior mount, mine are with snaps as the previous owner had snaps already on the front. Great fit, good service, I think a reasonable price.

We got grey as it went well with the coach color which is more important to the wife than where the heat goes.
Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #56

I use the Prompt Screen on the front, drivers window, door and passenger window. It uses basically one hook and suction cups. I have had it for 5 years and rarely have had any issues with it coming loose. I like it because I did not ahve to do anything to the coach to use it. I install it from the ground with no step stool or ladder. I am pleased with it.
Whitofok is offline   Reply With Quote