Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DW and I made our own using the Magna shade idea. Purchased the magnets online and the sunscreen fabric from a tent and awning company. It took us about 8hrs to complete the project. Magna Shade wanted almost $700 and we made them for less than $200 including the magnets. That was for the windshield, driver side, pass. side and wiper blade covers.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #16

For you Magne Shade folks...how big are the magnets? No problems with the wind and the screen coming loose? From the web site they look pretty big, and might even block some of your vision on the smaller side windows.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Magna-Shade like Finhawks looks like the sun shield I had on the back window of my 1974 Toyota truck, horses and cactus scene.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sun screens

I just had custom screens made in Tucson AZ by "Big Daddy Cool Shades". Came highly recommended by several RVers. Windshield plus both side curtains, $330.00. Look him up on Internet. Faantastic smoothe fit, no wrinkles. Fastens with snaps. Won't come off in wind. Good heavyweight fabric. Good luck,
Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
For you Magne Shade folks...how big are the magnets? No problems with the wind and the screen coming loose? From the web site they look pretty big, and might even block some of your vision on the smaller side windows.
The magnets that we used are 1" square and 1/4" thich. They are installed in the corners of the side windows. Five across the top of the windshield and one each in the bottom corners. Had one blown off in extreme winds 40+ mph.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The Magna Shade magnets are about 1" in diameter. On the windshield you won't notice them much. The upper ones are up so high they are hidden behind the cabinets. The lower ones may or may not be visable, depending on your dash design, but are not intrusive. You will be able to see the one on either side, or any on the side windows, however, Roger now has black magnets available (they had all previously been silver in color) that make them much less visable (some windshields have a black border, they'd totally 'disappear' on those).

The quality and workmanship can't be beat. The magnet / installation pockets, as example, are made from a separate sheet of material, but if you look at ours, which has a palm tree print, they matched the print from one piece of material to the other so perfectly, it appears it all could have been made from one piece of material.

Oh, and they are extremely wind resistant. Those magnets are very strong, and the cover lays flat against the glass so the wind can't get under it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #21

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our rig had the magna shades in it when we bought her. DW wanted the same thing to hang from awning for more shade, we made our own for under $100.00 with a lot of extra material for use on the stick house patio. Sun shade .com will sell you any length you want in any color with different levels of shading.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Magna-Shade magnets are a little less than an inch in diameter. Talk about strong, wow! When first installing the side shade I had DW help. I put one magnet in each of her hands and told her to keep them separated. I went outside. She was to place a magnet in a temporary position when I placed the screen up. Leaning over she decided to use one hand as a balance and brought both hands together to transfer one of the magnets. I heard her @#($*& shouting through the window. She had not listened to me, again, and the magnet put a blood blister on her finger when it clicked together.

In once instance with 45+ mph winds coming from the side I had the windshield screen come off. I have extra magnets that I put half way down the shade and I have not had any other problems.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Wayne, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that got yelled at. Gloria did the same thing and ended up with a blood blister. That concept of women having a high tolerance for pain is a myth as far as I'm concerned. Maybe during childbirth but anything else----------!
I had my port side cover blow off too but the slide was in and we were having 50 mph gusts right down the side of the rig . The cover for the windshield didn't budge
Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It sounds like Goria and Earlene could share finger waving stories!

At 45+ mph there are two things I need to do; pull in the slides and take down any outside screens. (My awnings are automatic.)

By the way, Magne-Shade is coming out with a new side widow design. Stay in touch with there web site for full details.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #25

We had custom shades made for our coach by Red Hot Interiors in Bend, Oregon. They attach to the outside of the motorhome and are held in place with snaps. You need either a ladder or climb up on the roof to attach them but they fit tight with no wrinkles and look great. I can put them on in a few minutes but they need to be warm so they'll stretch easier. You can see out just fine but need to look hard to see inside. He charged us about $500 bucks for the windshield, two front side windows, wiper blade covers and a bag to store them in.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Snowman,
The Magne Shade will smooth right out once the sun hits it. Maybe just a little tug on a corner, but it's simple, and no climbing.

What ever works, works, it's just the simple things I look for.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
We use Prompt Sunscreen and like it.
RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing
No mods necessary and don't need a ladder.

We got ours from this company also....they even mailed it to us at our campsite while on vacation in Yellowstone...now that's service!
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #28

After much research, we ordered the screens for the windshield and driver's passenger's and front door windows from Magne Shade. Called up to gather some information, and Roger, the owner answered the phone.

Appreciate everyone's input.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote