Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Windshield shifted - what do I do?

We took the RV out this weekend. When we arrived at our destination I cleaned all the bugs off the windshield. When we arrived back home today and parked the RV. I ran some errands and my wife relaxed. Later I performed the same winshield cleaning I had performed a few days earlier and this is what I found.

See the shift between the two window panes?
See how the windshield sticks out from the RV up top?

The windshield did not look like this when we parked the RV.

Is this a Good Sam Extended warranty call, or a call to my Progressive insurance agent?

Rob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Without evidence of an accident I don't think Progressive will cover it. The Good Sam Service Policy (not a warranty under Federal Law) may or may not cover it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

I would find a good body shop and have them look at it to give you an expert opinion of what caused it. Go from there.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #4

The comprehensive in your insurance policy should cover that. An extended service contract will not, because nothing is broken. This is coverage from an XtraRide ESC, note on page 3 glass is specifically excluded.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
if the unit is around 2076 check the 1in tubing that is supporting the front fiberglass as on mine it had broken from the frame that allowed the front end to shift as it hits the bumps. I took some 1 1/2 in angle pieces and had them welded
to replace the broken off area. JUST A PLACE TO START LOOKING my windshield shifted up
Old 09-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safelite will reset it for you for about $75. I've had it done twice in 10 years. I now do it myself with this tool.

This is how the window seal is made. The locking bead must be taken out, and replaced with the tool. Once the bead is out, the window can be nudged back into place. A little sudsy water will help it move in the seal.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #7

I had the same thing happen to me last week; the upper corner on the drivers side popped loose on my 96 Gulfstream. The gap was big enough to stick your hand through. I took it to our local Speedy Glass, it took them less than an hour to reset the glass in the rubber gasket and wound up costing me $88. Apparently this is a very common problem on mid to late 90's Class A MH. I was told that around 2002 manufacturers went to a one piece windshield that was glued in to eliminate the problem. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

It will also happen on single piece windshields, what happened is you leveled your chassis, and it racked, that's why it didn't show right away. I started leveling my monaco manually starting with the front and dumping chassis bags to 40 lbs and then levelin, vs dumping all air and leveling. You can actually watch the windshield flex during leveling.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

What year make and model did that happen on
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #10

OK, I called the local RV repair facility for a recommendation on a glass repair company. The quote I received was $250 to reset the glass. They "might" be able to get to it this week. The local Safelite shop doesn't work on RVs, neither does the one in Birmingham. I live in Huntsville, Alabama, moved here from Houston this spring and can't seem to find anyone who is reasonably priced, based on what I'm reading here. Any suggestions?

Rob
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Call manufacturer of unit and ask about factory authorized service centers is plan a.

Plan b is look for truck and buss shops to ask about it as they have similar windows and may be able to fix it.

Check with your insurance provider as no it is not broken but it could have...

If you have glass coverage they could have been on the hook for bigger expense but just need to reset it.

Ask them for a list of providers authorized to provide service to their policy holders so you can select an "in network" provider and if not covered still insist they repair and provide proof of repair so if it explodes next time insurance cannot or should not be able to claim improper repair.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Safelite will reset it for you for about $75. I've had it done twice in 10 years. I now do it myself with this tool.

This is how the window seal is made. The locking bead must be taken out, and replaced with the tool. Once the bead is out, the window can be nudged back into place. A little sudsy water will help it move in the seal.

Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement gasket for the windshield? I have a 98 National, not sure if they all use the same/similar gasket. Mine is looking cracked from age and sunlight.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #13

FYI, just getting it to go back in will only be a temporary fix. My windshield was a two piece and the passenger side popped out a couple times. After the third time, I had a glass shop completely remove and reset & reseal the glass. That did the trick. If I remember correctly it cost me $200. It was worth it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
FYI, just getting it to go back in will only be a temporary fix. My windshield was a two piece and the passenger side popped out a couple times. After the third time, I had a glass shop completely remove and reset & reseal the glass. That did the trick. If I remember correctly it cost me $200. It was worth it.
You are correct, but I would rather have the windshield shift, and pop out a little, than to have it sealed and crack because it couldn't shift. JMHO.

The reason for that type of a gasket is so it can shift and flex a tiny bit without breaking under stress..

I have sealed the gasket to the fiberglass with urethane, but will not seal the glass to the gasket. This has worked fine since doing that.