Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check these out: www.magnashade.com

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

I made my shades like the magna shade brand. I measured the inside temp of the windshield in direct sun at 90 degrees. The windshield measured 175 degrees in the top corner. After installing my homemade shade I measured it again on a identical day and the temp dropped to 130. I fit the entire cab for around 275$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2044908660.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	24386  

Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I can't help with material or attachment methods but will testify that a good set of solar shades make a huge difference. Several years ago we had a set custom made for our coach's windshield and two side windows. Use them all the time if we're setting up for more than an overnight stay.

rick
How is it secured? We just went thought a big wind and rain storm 30 min ago and I was wondering if I had a solar shade installed would it of been there after the storm?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #18

I've got some really strong magnets....magnets that I couldn't pry apart once they were together. However through a window they separate fine. Epoxy one to the inside of the window and sew one into the fabric
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane nutty View Post
I've got some really strong magnets....magnets that I couldn't pry apart once they were together. However through a window they separate fine. Epoxy one to the inside of the window and sew one into the fabric
Good work!! We did exactly the same thing and saved several hundred dollars compared to the Magna Shade Quote of $760. for windshield, driver and passenger. $340. to do 6 windows.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
How is it secured? We just went thought a big wind and rain storm 30 min ago and I was wondering if I had a solar shade installed would it of been there after the storm?
Ours are snap on so I have to get up on the ladder to put them up and take them down. But they have been up during some pretty serious weather all across the country and they probably hold even more tightly when wet so I wouldn't be concerned about them coming loose.

I really like the magnetic attachments but have wondered how well they'll hang on but I'll bet the same "hang tighter when wet" thing applies and they do fine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
I'm a firm believer in reflectix or similar bubble wrap mylar coated plastic. I made a whole set for all the windows of my RV and the drop in interior temps in full sunlight is dramatic! Nice side benefit no UV fading of the interior!

I wrote all about it in an article for the RV newsletter....much more detail there.

It's at:

WanderMan: More Cool Tips - Thermal Insulation for Your Windows...It Works!

BTW: Love the CARS outside windshield screen. I wish I was that artistic!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the snap on solar screens from RV Toy Store. I believe the brand is Sun Guard.

They were a lot less than the Magna Shade and work great.

To do the most good, the solar shade needs to be on the outside....stop the sun before if gets in the RV.

For winter use, the Refleftix bubble insulation works great.

Ken
Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where do you get the magnets? I know I saw some somewhere but forgot where. Might have been harbor freight.

Are they the rare earth magnets?

@ Manuel B that is very neat looking, good job

I really wonder if the black sun screens are as effective as light colors. When I had that fabric on the Class C window in the sun it got really really hot as well as the window. Did not work that well in that application.I think it needed space inbetween the window and the fabric.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got them at www.kjmagnetics.com Grade N52. The fabric is available in different percentages of blockage. Ours are 95% and work quite well.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #25

I thought black would be hottest but after talking to the sales rep at arizonasunsupply.com I decided to go with the black. His description was counterintuitive but made sense. Although I can't debate black vs a lighter color I do remember him saying that since the fabric was outside of the window it has the opposite affect as a black car. I thought it was a weird statement but went with it.....couldn't be more pleased with their performance. I bought my magnets at magnet4less.com. If you need specific magnets hat I ordered pm me. I originally ordered magnets that I felt we too weak for the windshield so I ordered some Mac-daddy ones instead.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #26

I ordered the Prompt RV Sunscreen for my Sportscoach. It attaches from the ground with a suction cup on the right and a hook on the left drivers window. It takes 2-3 minutes to install. I also ordered the black because I was told that the black will absorb the suns heat before it enters the coach. It does a GREAT job at keeping the temperatures down and still allows you to see outside. During the day, you CANNOT see inside the motorhome from the outside and even at night with a few lights on it's difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	24397  
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I chose not to use magnets on the inside. I cut 1/4" steel the size of the magnets and adhered it to the inside with rear view mirror adhesive.
For the side windows I attached the steel to the frame with exterior grade double backed tape, which allows us to have the windows open for ventilation. The fabric covers the window frames blocking the heat transfer thru the aluminum . Saved a considerable amount of money on magnets.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #28

If you don't have Reflectix option close to you, we just purchased Jumbo size windshield shade from Walmart which looks identical, easy to shape, for $9 and cut it to fit different windows, works great.

Tags
solar