Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #29

What size magnets are you, who've bought them, using? When I watched his videos it looked like their using 1"X 3/8". When I priced that size online to do windshield, driver, door and pass. windows it was $400 from K&J and $200 from Magnet4less.

We're thinking we want a custom printed one, so we sent off for a quote from Magne Shade. Haven't heard back yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
What size magnets are you, who've bought them, using? When I watched his videos it looked like their using 1"X 3/8". When I priced that size online to do windshield, driver, door and pass. windows it was $400 from K&J and $200 from Magnet4less.

We're thinking we want a custom printed one, so we sent off for a quote from Magne Shade. Haven't heard back yet.
Grade N52, 1"x1"x3/8" 53-1/2 lb. pull force. KJ stk.#BX0X06.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #31

Thanks, I figured for all that I want done I'll need 50 total.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Thanks, I figured for all that I want done I'll need 50 total.
Read post #27, you may be able to cut that number in half.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the MAGNA Shades and I am happy that I purchased them. Roger and Claire at MAGNA Shade are great to talk to and they will work with you for your specific coach.

You can do a search for the reasons, but the black uv protection screen affords better reflectivity then the lighter. Go figure, but the salesman's statement in the previous post is correct on black being better.

On occasion we have been "hot" and I went to a hardware store and purchased a roll of "Astro Foil." Then I cut it to the exact shape of each of the big sliding windows. One for each half of the window. They just push up into place on the couch and dinning table windows and are a tight fit. DW doesn't like not being able to look out but understands how well they work. I'm going to ask Roger some day about making screens for those windows.

One could also use the Astro Foil for the front windshield but there definitely be no visibility.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Read post #27, you may be able to cut that number in half.

Missed that, good thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have the MAGNA Shades and I am happy that I purchased them. Roger and Claire at MAGNA Shade are great to talk to and they will work with you for your specific coach.

You can do a search for the reasons, but the black uv protection screen affords better reflectivity then the lighter. Go figure, but the salesman's statement in the previous post is correct on black being better.

On occasion we have been "hot" and I went to a hardware store and purchased a roll of "Astro Foil." Then I cut it to the exact shape of each of the big sliding windows. One for each half of the window. They just push up into place on the couch and dinning table windows and are a tight fit. DW doesn't like not being able to look out but understands how well they work. I'm going to ask Roger some day about making screens for those windows.

One could also use the Astro Foil for the front windshield but there definitely be no visibility.

Happy trails.

The main reason for ordering (other then a custom photo) rather than making ourselves: Is we feel very blessed in our small business so we try pass that along to other small businesses. He came up with the plan, I feel he has earned the reward that comes with it.

It just the tight wad in me that says "I can do that".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #35

And to finish off the spelling, click the link. It is Magne Shade.

Magne Shade - Home
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #36

We were having the same issue with our MH and we found a 4 ft wide role of aluminum furnace duct thin insulation at Menards hardware store. We cut it to the size we needed for the windshield, put it inside pulled the curtains to keep it in place. It made a world of difference on the temperature. This stuff is kinda like the dash protection you can get for your car or truck windshield works very well.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
... I'm going to ask Roger some day about making screens for those windows...

Happy trails.
Last spring I had him make one big screen to cover two side windows, sent pictures and dimensions. Works fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I ordered the Prompt RV Sunscreen for my Sportscoach. It attaches from the ground with a suction cup on the right and a hook on the left drivers window. It takes 2-3 minutes to install. I also ordered the black because I was told that the black will absorb the suns heat before it enters the coach. It does a GREAT job at keeping the temperatures down and still allows you to see outside. During the day, you CANNOT see inside the motorhome from the outside and even at night with a few lights on it's difficult.
X2

RV Sunscreen | Our Sunscreens, Shades and Covers

This picture was my first time putting them up. Since I've learned put them up without a wave

The only issue I have had is my suction cups I had to alcohol clean and the side of the coach, they were falling off due to me not cleaning the suction cups.

I love being able to install them without snaps or ladders, so easy, about 5 minutes, and they work fantastic...very happy with my Prompt RVSunscreens!! Highly recommend them....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-21_11-21-19_839.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	24451  
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #39

CT Camper:

Like you I was trying to find a way to block the sun as my RV is parked facing west and takes the full brunt of the summer sun. Living in a rural area i don't have many places I can go to to get things done. Anyway I bought a 6' X 8' heavy duty tarp and put it over the front window. Then i lowered the shades and I swear it dropped the temperature by 20 to 30 degrees. This is not something i want to do permanently, but will do until I get back down to Arizona. Also believe it or not, it realy doesn't look that terrible. I make sure it is mounted and attached tight with no sags.

Gary801
05 Alfa SeeYa DP
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tarp did work really good. Covered the area over the window which is a big heat sink also, as well as the window. Sat dish reciever is in a cabinet behind the area above the windshield and some of the Tiffin owners have burnt out the reciever boxes because of the amount of heat in that area. Some have had to add fans or put hardware cloth in place of the glass in the cabinet door.
When I put the tarp up I tied the rope in one corner on the top then behind the passenger side antenna, grommet, grommet, behind drivers side cb antenna, and then through last grommet and tied it off on the door grab handle on the side. The lower half I tied off on the mirrors.
Taking it down was a mater of 20 seconds max. Untie the top rope side from the grab handle and gently tug the tarp and the rope came out of the grommets. untie the mirrors fold and store.
I did have to climb on the roof every time to put it up. I am thinking of trying to make a simular set up with the sun screen fabric with grommets. I have loads of grommets here from past projects. Then I could cover that top area also. I guess the tarp doesn't look all that bad...sort of a trailer park chic look lol
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
CT: Read your post a couple of times and went to Lowes and got the 8 by 10 silver/brown tarp. Tied it to the twin air horns on each side of the of our '04 CC Inspire and then tied them to the mirror heads.

We're in Az now in a RV park just outside of Phoenix with the windshield facing almost due West and this set up really works great. I agree it does not have much style but tomorrow is supposed to be 117 degrees and we sure don't have the front end oven after your suggestion. Thanks for sharing what you did, it works just fine.

Tom

Tags
solar