RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Windshield Sun Shade

Good Day All,

My bride and I are in the process of transitioning from a Jayco C Class to our new Bounder 35P. We are very excited about the move and looking forward to stepping up to our new A Class.

We travel South a lot. We have been to Myrtle Beach, Orlando and several areas of Tennessee. Every time we travelled in our C Class we were happy to have an external windshield cover to help control the heat pouring through the glass. Our C was 30 amp and only had one air conditioner which could never quite keep up.

We have often noticed the A class units down South have an external sun shade, I assume for the same reasons that we did on the C Class. We asked our dealer about having a similar product installed and they advised they do not carry a similar product and wont do the job because they feel drilling extra holes in the coach is unwise.

The Bounder has good quality internal shades but I am still concerned about how much heat transfer there will be through all that glass. What are others experience. Do the dual A/C units in the Bounder effectively cool the unit in hot temps or do I need to search out a third party to install external shades?

Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Don't have a Bounder, but have had 2 Southwinds, now a DP. Here are my thoughts from experience. The interior shades are helpful, but the heat is already inside the coach. The exterior shades block the heat before it gets in. Our Southwinds did an adequate job of cooling with the AC, but ran less and did a better job with the exterior shade. I do not like drilling holes either, which is why with our new unit we decided to go with the Magne-shade. Costs a little more, but no drilling, no snaps, and after the initial install, no ladder needed.
Mike

Old 10-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 & use magnets to hold them in place.

You can get the magnets on Amazon that have 3M adhesive stickers with them. The magnets are fragile & strong as heck, just one slamming into another will sometimes break them.

They're strongest when used in multiples. I use 2 on the coach side windows & 2 on outside. Windshield I do 2 on the coach & 3 to hold the shade. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much much cheaper than magnashade.

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
Don't have a Bounder, but have had 2 Southwinds, now a DP. Here are my thoughts from experience. The interior shades are helpful, but the heat is already inside the coach. The exterior shades block the heat before it gets in. Our Southwinds did an adequate job of cooling with the AC, but ran less and did a better job with the exterior shade. I do not like drilling holes either, which is why with our new unit we decided to go with the Magne-shade. Costs a little more, but no drilling, no snaps, and after the initial install, no ladder needed.
Mike
I do like the concept of these... Price tag is surprisingly high though and I am not sure there is a Canadian supplier.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

We love our Magneshade external windshield screen. They also make side window shades and wheel covers.

We have no affiliation with the company.
tmcgowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgowan View Post
We love our Magneshade external windshield screen. They also make side window shades and wheel covers.

We have no affiliation with the company.
Do you know if they are still in business. There website does not cover RV models past 2018
Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Do you know if they are still in business. There website does not cover RV models past 2018
Yes, they are still in business. We have a '19. Ordered our windshield cover in '18. Liked it so much we ordered the side shades this year in April. Also bought the tire covers used on here from another member after they couldn't use them on their new rig. They definitely make a difference with heat.

Really we bought ours to be able to leave the shades open during the day to look out but block people outside from seeing in. They work great for this. Just don't forget to close your blinds at night as it is the exact opposite when dark.

We love ours. Takes me less than 5 minutes to put them all up.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #8

Magne Shade is hands down the best money I have ever spent on an aftermarket accessory for the RV. Got my Magne Shade wheel covers in today.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #9

Any upholsterer can make one for you out of sun resistant canvas. You can install pegs that rotate after installation to secure them.
Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #10

Magnet Shade, worth every penny. I have the windshield cover and tire covers. Takes about 5-10 mins to put all 4 tire covers and the windshield shade with no ladder. Not to mention the difference in heat is about 15 degrees Fahrenheit on a hot day. Only problem is it took about a month to get them once I ordered. I think they make them as the orders come in.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #11

Thanks All

Thanks all! I have sent a request to Magneshade to get a quote... waiting a month wont be a big deal, since the rig is coming home and then going into winter storage
Old 10-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #12

You can save a bunch of money making it your self!

Here is the material...This is an exact match to magne-shade!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy a hot knife for precise cutting...
https://www.amazon.com/RoMech-Fabric...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

buy magnets on amazon too! Be done in a couple of days and enough Sun-Tex to do the entire rig!
nomoreosama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Thanks all! I have sent a request to Magneshade to get a quote... waiting a month wont be a big deal, since the rig is coming home and then going into winter storage
It's going to be right around $1000.

If you go to their website and use the info for your rig for an '18, it most likely is the same windshield. That's what I did and then measured our windshield to compare to the numbers they had. It was the same.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had our windows tinted, a bit pricey but it blocks much of the heat and also protects the interior from UV. I also use Magnashade flip shades on the side windows and they work great in the flipped up position to keep the sun off passangers. We are in SoCal and travel east to west and west to east so one of us is always in the sun. Call Magnashade they have really great customer service. They aren't cheap but they are quality products.

Tags
wind, windshield