Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Windshield Wiper Alignment 1998 Flair

The wipers on our '98 Fleetwood Flair seem to have a mind of their own.

With the wiper motor in its "rest" position, I've loosened the wiper arms and moved them into a position just above the rubber molding at the bottom of the windshields (has split windshields).

The driver's side seems to return before it gets all the way to the left side of the windshield (from the driver's perspective), and the passenger wiper runs up and over the center molding before making its return swipe.

If the center molding wasn't there, the passenger side is actually making a pretty good wipe of the area the driver would want to be able to see, but I really don't think it should be jumping over the center molding.

I don't see any evidence that anything has been replaced but I can't imagine this has been going on forever, either.

Any ideas?

We're currently on the road, otherwise I would just disassemble the whole thing and try to figure it out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
My drivers side wasn't lining up and wasn't consistent on the sweep. After looking carefully, I found the mount bracket was broken.. I welded the bracket back together and everything lines up now..

Windshield wiper has to much sweep broken mount plate – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
My drivers side wasn't lining up and wasn't consistent on the sweep. After looking carefully, I found the mount bracket was broken.. I welded the bracket back together and everything lines up now..

Windshield wiper has to much sweep broken mount plate – 1999 Southwind 35S

Thanks for the info, Waiter21, I found one bolt missing from the wiper motor bracket. Also several pieces of duct tape helping to hold --possibly-- the wiper shafts in place. I'm reluctant to start removing duct tape on the road; no telling what I might find.

And the link to the various wiper assemblies will be priceless when I get home.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
....Also several pieces of duct tape helping to hold....
Mine also. I think the tape on mine was to hold stuff together when they assembled it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I may have found my problem, Waiter21. After taking the duct tape off one of the wiper arm pivots under the hood, I found that neither of the pivots are bolted down. They just sit inside the angle iron. That led me to the 20mm nut on the outside that obviously holds the pivot in place. It was loose enough that it must have been letting the wipers do their own thing. After tightening both of those nuts as much as I dared, and resetting the wiper arms, they seem to work like they were intended. Running at full speed with a water hose aimed at the windshield, they performed flawlessly--at least until those nuts loosen up again. Next time, I will probably try some thread lock. Thanks, again for the info you provided. It helped me track everything down. Lots easier at home than on the road.

Tags
air