Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement

I'm about to replace the windshield wiper arms along with the pivots shafts on my 08 Allegro Bay. I have two new TriVision wiper arms and a driver's and passenger's side pivot shaft assemblies.

Searching high and low for installation requirements, I found this in a previous post, from 2009, by RV Dude, "First, regarding that mounting bolt. The torque on that bolt is critical as is the procedure. On the EX, and I suspect you have the same wiper config, that bolt gets a 35ftlb torque. Re-torque it every half hour or so. Do this for the better of a day. No kidding. The knurling "sets" into the base metal and re-torquing keeps driving it further into the base metal."

I was told that the wiper arm opening is designed to split open along the vertical line in the photo to maybe about 1/8" as the mounting bolt is tightened and the splined shaft seats into the opening.

This made sense until I tried to fit the new parts together and found the diameter of the splined shaft is 5/8" diameter and the opening on the wiper arm is 1/2" diameter. The splined shaft doesn't even begin to fit into the wiper arm opening. I just don't envision the splined shaft being able to penetrate into the wiper arm opening.

My question is if anyone has been down this road and is familiar with this type of installation, I'd sure appreciate information as to how this is going to (or not) work!

Wayne
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #2

Update!

When I originally ordered the parts, I ordered both a driver's and passenger's side pivot arm as I was told they were different part numbers. When the package arrived, only the driver's side was included and even though I was charged for the passenger's side, it wasn't in the shipment.

A call to Tiffin and they shipped out the passenger's side pivot arm which I received today. When I looked at the part, part of my confusion lifted while yet another cloud descended. Here's a photo of the two parts side by side, passenger's side pivot arm is on the left, driver's side on the right:

The passenger's side pivot arm I received today looks just like what's currently on the MH. The driver's side on the right, in addition to being a totally different configuration with different dimensions, also appears to be missing some parts.

Even I can now see how the new pivot arm will mate and seat with the new wiper arm. What I don't know is what's the deal with the driver's side pivot arm I was sent.

I'm going to send an e-mail to Tiffin with the photos and hopefully get this squared away first thing Monday morning. And here I thought I was leaving myself plenty of time to make this repair before my next trip ... !

Tags
ace, replace, replacement