Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Windshield Wiper Malfunction

I have a Winnebago Sightseer 26P Model Year 2007. Last October I experienced a problem with the wipers going the minute I started the RV. I could not control the speed of the wipers or turn them off while the engine was running. After taking it in to a Workhorse Service Center it was determined) that a new wiper module was needed. This wipers worked fine in our travels to winter in Texas (granted we only had to use them a few hours on the way down). The next time we hit rain, less than a month after the initial repair, I started the RV and once again the wipers would not respond to the wiper control. I took the RV into another Workhorse Service Center and they fixed the problem?????? Well the wipers worked fine for the only day it rained. Started the RV the other day and you guessed it the wipers started working all by themselves. I finally just unplugged the pigtail connection so the wipers don't go when I start the RV but I don't have any wipers.
I am wondering if anyone else has experience this problem and what their solution was.
I am told (by technicians at two separate service centers) that this is a problem GM has had for awhile.
Kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

James,

On another forum there was a discussion about this problem on the Workhorse chassis. I wouldn't say it was a GM problem but I would say it is a Chevrolet problem. I have a 98 Yukon and an 04 Yukon and haven't had any problems with the wipers.

I did have the same problem with the wipers on my 88 Silverado and on my 06 Allegro Open Road on a Workhorse chassis. After taking them in to the dealer and having the same results you seem to be having I made my own modification.

I pulled the fuse under the dash and replaced it with with 2 wires with plugs plugged into where the fuse normally plugged in. Make sure the wires do not and can not make contact with each other. I then put an inline fuse in one of the wires and hooked them to an on/off switch which I mounted on the dash. This way when the wipers won't turn off I can flip the switch without having to get out and disconnect the plug. I can still use the normal switch to control them and the washer.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the ground. several years ago we had a problem like this and it seems like the fiberglass front provides no ground, so a seperate ground wire must be run to the wiper motor. If the ground wire loses contact the wipers won't shut off.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Many Workhorse owners have had this problem. Check the Workhorse forum for more details. http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2144184
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote