Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

Windshield wiper problem

Windshield wiper on the drivers side blows off to side when driving
sdrtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrtile View Post
We had this on a 2014 Thor this year, except it was both wipers. Thor sent us a new wiper assembly as goodwill. I paid a mechanic to install it. Good as new. If you are handy it could probably be a DIY job. But I don't know any immediate fix. Sorry. Try RainX to limp the rest of the way on your trip.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:33 AM   #3

Obvious question, but what RV?

We have a 2008 Damon Daybreak and our problem was the passenger 'overcentering' and falling down, jammed mechanism and no wipers.

What I found was two parts of the mechanism bent. One, which could affect either side is the crank or actuator on the motor, small bent plate. The piece that bolts to the motor and the part that connects to the two rods should be parallel, ours was seriously bent causing a longer stroke, wiper throws further than it should, off screen in essence. To make matters worse the pivot and shaft on the passenger side was also bent, pivot should be 90 degrees to shaft, ours ended up somewhere around 120 degrees, again this increases the stroke so wiper can get off screen. Both parts easily removed and straightened and after much reading, mainly irv2, I changed out the 32" blades to 28". System now working just fine, which is fortunate as a few recent trips have been in rain.
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you try adjusting the rods on the back side? I had the opposite problem, not enough sweep. Had to shorten them.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had the same problem. It turns out that by tightening the bolt holding the wiper to the post, that fixed the problem. I pulled it all apart and found the mating areas of the post are racheted....you tighten it down tight enough, it can't come loose and move. The "gears" let you loosen and re-tighten the blade at the correct horizontal location when the blades are in their "park" position. I was originally worried about tightening it too tight (I have been know to strip a bolt)....however these seem robust enough to take all the arm strength I can give it. Once I did that, it hasn't come loose since.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

Rarely use them. I use RainX which will shed a thunderstorm.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Rain X on windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrtile View Post
A few windshield replacement places told us never to use Rain X as it may be extremely difficult to fill those chips and small cracks with their resins..

I don't know if it's true or not, but I stopped using it as I get chips in my windshields quite a bit on the open road, especially on two lane country roads.
byoslandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Best bet is to replace the arm. I got mine here
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote