Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Windshield Wipers on all the time

Hello Forum. I have a 2000 National RV Sea View 8340. It is on the Ford F53 Chassis with the Triton V10. I got in it today to move it so I could put on a roof treatment. As soon as I turned the key, the wipers came on. Thinking the switch was on, I reached to turn them off only to discover the switch was off. They run in full-time slow mode until I switch to high. Then they move into high speed. If I switch back to slow or intermittent or off, they continue in slow mode. The only thing that stops them is turning the ignition off. The washer mechanism works fine. Any suggestions to the mechanically challenged??? Thanks
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a new one on me. But I can't think of anything that would cause this, except the switch itself.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I had a multi-function switch go bad on a Dodge once, but it affected the turn signals, high/low beam switching and wiper function. Everything else on the RV is working. The turn signals still work fine as do the headlight dimmer switch. All operate off of the turn signal stem.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Most/some wiper motors have an internal 'Park' switch. If this switch wears out or becomes out of adjustment, it can't 'make' when the wiper switch is turned off. Also a symptom is, if the windshield is dry and the wiper can't get to the end of it's travel, it can't make the internal park switch and will keep operating. Might try wetting down the windshield while the wiper switch is in the off position. At any rate, sounds like a wiper motor change to me. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I had that problem in a 2002 Dolphin LX. Only happened intermittently too. Then one day a I found a headlamp light bulb that had fallen out of its socket and broken. It was shorting against the front cap frame at times and would make the windshield wiper motor run when it did. Never did figure out if it was making the wiper switch go crazy are driving the motor directly, but I fixed the headlamp and never had another problem.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

You might try running a ground wire to the motor itself, or if the existing ground is obvious, check both ends for a good connection.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a discussion before about windshield wipers continuously running but they were on the Workhorse Chassis.

I had the same problem with our coach and had it in the shop 3 or more times. Each time they thought they had fixed the problem but after a rain or heavy dew they would start working continuously again. I finally bypassed the fuse under the dash with an on/off switch so that I could turn them off without having to unplug the wires under the hood. The original controller on the column still controls the speed.

Some members said that they pulled the windshield wiper motor and resealed it to keep the moisture out to fix the problem.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

I don't know if yours has a wiper relay but it's worth checking. if it does it could be bad and cause it not to turn off. Look in your chassis manual for the location. Jim
Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've fix this same problem on a workhorse chassis by disconnecting the plug to the wiper motor drying it out and then relocating the plug away from direct water flow and taping it tightly. This fixed 2 MH with the same problem.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
I've fix this same problem on a workhorse chassis by disconnecting the plug to the wiper motor drying it out and then relocating the plug away from direct water flow and taping it tightly. This fixed 2 MH with the same problem.
X2 but added di-electric grease
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
You might try running a ground wire to the motor itself, or if the existing ground is obvious, check both ends for a good connection.
ahicks is right on the money. The cap is fiberglas and has no ground. The manuf. has to run a seperate ground for the wiper motor. It has to have a good ground to stop. Check the ground wire for loseness at both ends.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Okay, finally had time to go check it out again. Pulled plug to wiper motor. Dry as a bone, but I cleaned it and plugged it back in. The ground wire was a little loose so I pulled the wire from the frame, scraped the contact good and put it back tight. Got in coach, turned key, they came right back on full time with no stopping. Again, the fast and slow work, but not intermittent and stop. Also, all the other functions on the turn signal stem work just fine. No wiper relay either. I'm lost!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlugrasTrail View Post
Okay, finally had time to go check it out again. Pulled plug to wiper motor. Dry as a bone, but I cleaned it and plugged it back in. The ground wire was a little loose so I pulled the wire from the frame, scraped the contact good and put it back tight. Got in coach, turned key, they came right back on full time with no stopping. Again, the fast and slow work, but not intermittent and stop. Also, all the other functions on the turn signal stem work just fine. No wiper relay either. I'm lost!!!
For the sake of those with similar problems. I finally took it to a dealer. They checked all systems. Found it was a faulty module in the dash. Replaced it at $275.00
Now everything is good with the wipers.
However, now my speedo needle is crazy. Jumps to 50mph upon starting engine. Stays there even after engine is shut down. Dealer at first said need new cluster at $650 plus labor. Called me back later and said he didn't think I needed the cluster because all else works. The odometer still racks up the miles, the cruise control still works. The speedo even works above about 55mph. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlugrasTrail View Post
For the sake of those with similar problems. I finally took it to a dealer. They checked all systems. Found it was a faulty module in the dash. Replaced it at $275.00
Now everything is good with the wipers.
However, now my speedo needle is crazy. Jumps to 50mph upon starting engine. Stays there even after engine is shut down. Dealer at first said need new cluster at $650 plus labor. Called me back later and said he didn't think I needed the cluster because all else works. The odometer still racks up the miles, the cruise control still works. The speedo even works above about 55mph. Any thoughts?
Use the GPS in town to keep from getting a ticket and use the regular speedometer on the road.