Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Windshields popping out

My wife and I had bought 1997 Vision Pace Arrow about a year ago. Didn't notice the sealant in the top left corner right a way. Went to get fuel about 2 weeks ago and notice the windshield had about a 1 to 1 1/2 inch gap at the left corner. Took it to a RV Dealer close by and they keep on trying to raise my bill state the windsheild popped out cause it was to big. Then they told us that the clamps that hold the v upper roof cap on r broken and that's what made it pop out. What's true and what is not need advise windshield is reset back in that's all we had done.
nascar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So your rig came with the optional self remiving windshiled too.

I took mine (Which I bought new) back to the factory, They recut the opening which had been cut wrong, replaced the windshield, and six years later..... it's doing it again.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #3

This is a problem I have seen on older rigs (10 yr or more) On mine, I was able to get them back into position myself. My friend took his to a shop he knew, where they took them out, cleaned the area, replaced the gasket and set windshields back in place. Cost him $1500.00 and they told him not to bring it back if it happens again. It may be from the twisting of the rig when leveling or just from bouncing down the road.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nascar nut: I was a service mgr. for fifteen yrs. This is a common problem. The factories dry fit windshields. I don't know if you are close to atlanta, Ga. or not, but we used a glass co. that will put it back in and it will stay. they will use eurathane to hold it in place. The factories don't usually use eurathane, because the home must sit for 24 hours after inst. The name is City Wide Glass in Jonesboro, Ga. (atlanta surburb) They used to charge $150.00
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there was sealant in the top left corner, This means they knew of the issue. If they did not properly either 1: Fix it or 2: Inform you..... You may need to talk to Dewy Cheatum & Howe, attornies at law.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If there was sealant in the top left corner, This means they knew of the issue. If they did not properly either 1: Fix it or 2: Inform you..... You may need to talk to Dewy Cheatum & Howe, attornies at law.
Its a 14 yr old coach, I am pretty sure it was bought "as is" how would an attorney help?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

I still haven't found anything on bracing the cap like the told me. So the windshield is in for now but was waiting on the insurance co on the claim. the denied further work on it. So told the RV repair place to finish putting it back togetherand ill pick it up..As its get worse they told me my motor home has to be put back together with the braces which will cost $4000 more. I think this is B.S. still fitting on this. after it is all said and done I'll let you know who not to let work on your MH.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Nascar nut: I was a service mgr. for fifteen yrs. This is a common problem. The factories dry fit windshields. I don't know if you are close to atlanta, Ga. or not, but we used a glass co. that will put it back in and it will stay. they will use eurathane to hold it in place. The factories don't usually use eurathane, because the home must sit for 24 hours after inst. The name is City Wide Glass in Jonesboro, Ga. (atlanta surburb) They used to charge $150.00
That is what I did on an 08 Monaco Camelot. Cost me $75 labor plus 4 tubes.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I did the same thing with a glass company. They removed both windshields and eurathaned the rubber gasket to the body. They let that set for 24 hrs then eurathaned the glass into the rubber gasket. Let it set another 24 hrs and it was good to go. $150.00 total for everything
97windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

Well we got the MH back home and the mgr told me that the metal structure frame in the upper left hand corners what is out of alignment. Stating that the windshield frame squareness is off. The reason it would cost $4000 is because all the cabinetry would have to come out and reinstall after everything is aligned. The windshield is back in and looks better than it did before. What should I do? Is it really that hard to do and where can I get the tools to remove and reinstall the windshield Shell I fix it or sell it.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
In 15 yrs. as a ser. mgr. for a fleetwood dealer, I never ran into a windshield problem that City Wide Glass couldn't handle. If you are anywhere close to jonesboro, Ga. I would advise you to have them look at it. I don't know who your dealer is, but I would caution you that motorhome sales are in the tank and many of them are keeping the doors open by doing service jobs that are overpriced and not neccessary.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had our front cap smashed and replaced when our rig was 6 mos old.

Then the windshield problems began; it seperated. They continued until, as a few have suggested here, an installer used urathane or "glue" to hold it in. Much discussion with the manufacturer who warned against it but it has been in there four years since without problems. I'm sure as others have suggested a glass company can do this---Texas is a far cry from Georgia----but call around and get some bids in Royse City.

I used some permatex to seal up a minor seperation---so far everything is fine. I just rue the day I break another windshield----but for now I am fine.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar nut View Post
My wife and I had bought 1997 Vision Pace Arrow about a year ago. Didn't notice the sealant in the top left corner right a way. Went to get fuel about 2 weeks ago and notice the windshield had about a 1 to 1 1/2 inch gap at the left corner. Took it to a RV Dealer close by and they keep on trying to raise my bill state the windshield popped out cause it was to big. Then they told us that the clamps that hold the v upper roof cap on r broken and that's what made it pop out. What's true and what is not need advise windshield is reset back in that's all we had done.
I had a similar problem on my 2008 motorhome which had no warranty because the manufacture went out of business. As stated by several other posts this is not an unusual problem with motorhomes. I had my problem fixed in Oregon at Guarantee RV, but I live in Texas. They had to do some fiberglass rework of the top right corner because the manufacture had misaligned the cap during manufacturing of the unit. It cost me around $2500 which included glass removal and reinstall with new seals, fiberglass work, and painting. This repair was a coordinated effort between the glass installer and the fiberglass person. They had to temporarily set the windshield in place to check to see if the fiberglass work had the correct curvature. I would look at going back to the original manufacture even though your unit is vintage and see what they suggest. The $4000 seems high. It also seems strange that your unit has gone all these years and now this problem is surfacing. These are just some thoughts and experiences which may help in determining your course of action. Good luck.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special

That is what I did on an 08 Monaco Camelot. Cost me $75 labor plus 4 tubes.
I have an 07 Safari, and this is the second time that my windshield has walked out of the hole. I used silicone to stop the leaking this last time, but it hasn't been moved since. The first time, it was removed and reinstalled by a "Professional" that obviously did not do a stellar job. Can you give me the name of the sealant you used to cure this problem. By the way, it doesn't look like the windshield and the opening are the same shape. Thx
lASHTFLASH is offline   Reply With Quote