Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Windshields slipping moving in gasket

I have a 2005 Kountry Star with a split windshield. The driver side is moving in the gasket and now there is actually an open space where water can free flow in the cab from the top right hand corner. The left side is also moving and there is a space developing in the lower corner of the gasket. That windshield is new last fall when I purchased the rig.
I had a auto glass guy take a look at this issue and he said there would be no way to remove the windshields without breaking them therefor I would need new gaskets and locks along with new windshields.
Has anyone experienced this problem? These windshields are not to be glued in place as they ride in place in the gasket which is to allow for the twisting and movement of the MH. Not covered on extended warranty or comprehensive auto insurance. Will be expensive to fix.
My question is "does it seem right the windshields can not be removed and saved for reuse"? Or doesn't t seem like they could be moved back in place and reworked into place? Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Golfer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I noticed my one piece had moved last fall. The dealer had a glass company come in and reseat it. I know they used the original windshield and gasket.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by denlock View Post
I noticed my one piece had moved last fall. The dealer had a glass company come in and reseat it. I know they used the original windshield and gasket.
I had my passenger side windshield reset, same story shop reused the windshield and gasket
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

shops around here ....will reset the windshield but have a disclaimer that if they break it....so sorry
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

I just picked up my MH from precision paint this morning and I had a new gasket installed, Pauls guys refastened the centre bar which was loose and I had one half changed due to a small crack but they removed and reinstalled the existing window ,they did a good job but only time will tell
RossB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
I have a 2005 Kountry Star with a split windshield. The driver side is moving in the gasket and now there is actually an open space where water can free flow in the cab from the top right hand corner. The left side is also moving and there is a space developing in the lower corner of the gasket. That windshield is new last fall when I purchased the rig.
I had a auto glass guy take a look at this issue and he said there would be no way to remove the windshields without breaking them therefor I would need new gaskets and locks along with new windshields.
Has anyone experienced this problem? These windshields are not to be glued in place as they ride in place in the gasket which is to allow for the twisting and movement of the MH. Not covered on extended warranty or comprehensive auto insurance. Will be expensive to fix.
My question is "does it seem right the windshields can not be removed and saved for reuse"? Or doesn't t seem like they could be moved back in place and reworked into place? Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
I have the same problem... Gap is on top of passenger side. Not quite understanding the reseating solution. Does the glass shop remove and the reinstall the same windshield and gasket ? What would cause this issue, and if the windshield is simply reinstalled, I'd be inclined to think it would just shift again. Do the gaskets wear out ?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
That doesn't sound right to me. I'd get another glass guy to look at it and see what he says.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hax the same issue on my southwind every two yearss had it reset due to the cutout 3/4 " too big on one side. After 10 years, the glss guy said just glue it in and the glass won't move, the gasket next to the cap will move a little, told him do it, next 6 years no issue ever, and glueing is very commom in that business...
johnboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #9

I also have a 2005 Kountry Star. The previous owner had the passenger side crack on a rough section of highway. That was several years ago. Not sure how the new one was installed but am wondering if the installer of the new section messed up. Have you called Newmar tech support, they are very helpful even with older coaches. I wouldn't hesitate to call them and get their input.

Good luck with it and please post the resolution as I would be interested in why this happened to your coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #10

I've had the same problem 4 times on my 2000 DSDP. Once in MD., then in ND., and again in ME, and finally AL. Each time I had a glass guy come and reseat the glass. It was always the passenger side upper corner that would pop out. Then this past Nov. while in Foley AL., I had a glass co. come out and remove both windshields. They found the gasket was torn by the earlier attempts to pop the glass back in. So had the windshields put back in with a new gasket. So far, so good. They also said they wouldn't be liable if the glass cracked, but everything worked out fine.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

I have a 2000 Mountain Aire that the glass had shifted last fall. I had our local glass shop reset it in the old gasket temporarily. Last week, they removed both sides and replaced the gasket and lock. They also glued it in place.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #12

Not sure if this will help or if you have already seen this, but might be worth a quick look. It is from the RVGeeks web site.

Windshield Replacement
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. I had my driver side window removed and the other side reset in the correct position. Then the driver side replaced same piece and all realigned in the old gasket. (the gaskets are 25yr gaskets). Perfect.
I think the problem was when the dealer I bought the rig from (Sunset RV) replaced the passenger side window their installer never used any caulking to seal it. That allowed that side to move and push the driver side piece up and out of the gasket. Especially on any tight right hand turn. It is a common problem with some coaches it seems.
Golfer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #14

I had a holiday rambler 2004 with split windshield one shifted, I had a glass guy strong I might add come out remove and seal with a new gasket.

Tags
gas