Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winegard T4 Sat

I am considering getting the winegard T4 satellite but noticed that the outputs are RG6 coax. Now with everything advancing to the 4K and UHD technology using HDMI interconnectivity, I'm no engineer but isn't the A/V quality limited by the weakest link, which would be the RG6 coax? If that's true, does it make sense to interconnect components with HDMI?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

T4 sattelite

Your receiver will do the digital conversion and from the recever to your set should be HDMI local over air antenna connection will receive Hi-Definition signal too however it is up to the tuner (ATSC) to decode the signals again , if the Sat receiver has HDMI out then you will get the highest decodable signal possible. Most signals will be SD or 480P but some "HD listed channels would be up to 720 or 1080 and maybe "up converted" .

Hope this helps
VentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Check Amazon's site for compatible list of HD Satellite receivers
VentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
Your receiver will do the digital conversion and from the recever to your set should be HDMI local over air antenna connection will receive Hi-Definition signal too however it is up to the tuner (ATSC) to decode the signals again , if the Sat receiver has HDMI out then you will get the highest decodable signal possible. Most signals will be SD or 480P but some "HD listed channels would be up to 720 or 1080 and maybe "up converted" .

Hope this helps
Oh Ok, so the signal from the sat is raw unconverted digital and the receiver (directv, dish etc...) converts it to a viewable picture.
On this particular winegard sat, 2 RG6 outputs to whatever receiver and then HDMI to the TV's would make sense even if the TV's are are UHD or 4K.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
Check Amazon's site for compatible list of HD Satellite receivers
So if I understand this correctly, I would get an HD receiver compatable with the satelite dish I get or the paid provider I choose...directv, dish etc....
The nice thing with the winegard satellite is that it receives directv, dish or Bell, then its up to whatever provider we choose plus the FTA feature
Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionfe View Post
So if I understand this correctly, I would get an HD receiver compatable with the satelite dish I get or the paid provider I choose...directv, dish etc....
The nice thing with the winegard satellite is that it receives directv, dish or Bell, then its up to whatever provider we choose plus the FTA feature
Be aware that DirecTV will only be SD with this antenna, NO dome type antenna can receive DirecTV in HD.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Be aware that DirecTV will only be SD with this antenna, NO dome type antenna can receive DirecTV in HD.
I've heard that. But I haven't seen another ant that receives multiple providers all in HD. And furthermore I haven't seen an ant that receives in uhd or 4k.
I've heard that it has to do with the way directv beams their signal why its sd only
Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionfe View Post
I've heard that. But I haven't seen another ant that receives multiple providers all in HD. And furthermore I haven't seen an ant that receives in uhd or 4k.
I've heard that it has to do with the way directv beams their signal why its sd only
One other thing, this antenna will not receive DISH Eastern Arc satellites 61.5, 72.7, 77. If you travel much in the Mid Atlantic or Northeastern states or into eastern Canada reception could be interrupted. Also having the Eastern Arc satellites gives you options when parked and the Western Arc satellites are blocked by trees or buildings.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
No kidding, I did not know that. Is there any options to get all the sats and still meet my desires. Why wont it get the eastern arc sats?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #10

You are absolutely correct to consider the best possible connection from the antenna, no matter which one you use, to the receiver. All cable is not equal and some is definitely better than others. You need to use and rely on a technical source you can develop trust in. I was told by an industry engineer I trust to use solid copper core cable. I did and have been totally happy with the results.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
There aren't any FTA options for the RVer other than a manual dish you install on a tripod.
As mentioned before DirecTV will only be SD on ANY dome antenna small enough for RV use. (There are domes for DirecTV HD, but they are VERY expensive, VERY large and made for on a large yacht.... If you put one on an RV you would need a permit to travel due to your new height )
There are always choices and compromises in the RV world. Size and money are usually two of the common ones. You first probably want to zero in on which service fits your needs (Dish or Direct) and then choose hardware to accommodate that choice.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

There is nothing wrong with RG6, it's not a lower quality cable and doesn't have the length limitations of HDMI. It's about the money... HDMI device and accessory sales pays royalties to the companies with the patents and it transports media with HDCP copy protection. It's a proprietary walled garden. Why let customers use RG6 when you can charge then $20 for a 5 foot cord?

I think you're looking for something like this... expensive and doesn't have In-Motion...

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-SK-S.../dp/B00AXXEL5Y