Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Winegard TV antenna cable replacement.

Has anyone replaced the cable from their crank up tv antenna? The cable that goes from the antenna I through the roof seems to be bad. How hard is it to replace it with a new cable?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum

Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It might just be the connector. I replaced my connector at my crank up antenna. Works great now, I get 22 OTA channels here in the Kansas City area.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #3

I have no continuity from one end to the other.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Are you sure you are measuring the correct cable? It is real hard to break a coax cable. If it is bad, it depends how it is run, it might just be as easy as connecting a new coax using a barrel connection and pulling the new coax in. On the other hand it could be a nightmare to run a new coax.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #5

Yes, I'm sure I'm measuring the right one. Checked and double checked. No continuity.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Is that no continuity on both the core and braid? How did you verify you have the right cable?

Jeff
Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

No continuity on both. First time, I read the labels on the power injector. Tested the one labeled antenna. Second time, I verified continuity on the others, 2nd tv, and cable. They are good. Only one that won't check out is the one from the antenna.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

replacing that cable is almost impossible on mine. the cable is either bundled on to roof beams or immersed into the roof foam between the layers. i tried to pull it but to no avail.

in your case, you can connect the center and shield at one end (short the two), go measure the resistance at the other end. if you get 0 ohm, the coax is good. if you get an infinite, you would probsbly need to get a new cable floating on top of roof, or going through the cabinets inside...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

Done that. That is how I know it is bad. Before I got tired of the corporate world and became a medic, I was an electrical engineer. Very disappointing, I thought bring an electrical engineer meant I could drive an electrical train....

Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #10

Had mine go in a 2004 Phaeton. They run one piece of coax from the antenna to a connector at the base of the antenna, just under the goop and the antenna base itself. Then another piece goes from there into the coach. My problem was at that connector on the cable that goes up the mast. Easy to change after I found that connection. The one from there to the inside would be impossible w/o making a new hole as the coax is foame in
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #11

I replaced both the outside coax from the roof to the antenna top & also the coax cable in the roof down to the cabinet connection. On my 99 Itasca there was a connection buried just below the surface. I would only replace the antenna/external coax if doing it again. I had a time "fishing" a wire thru the foam
roof but eventually got it. Boy did it make a difference, I had lost almost all reception.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400842754.728409.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	767.9 KB
ID:	63648Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400842808.503161.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	869.8 KB
ID:	63649

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
On the Winegard, as you probably know, you should get 12v dc on the cable at the antenna. On two previous mhs I found the connection just below the mounting plate had corroded. I removed the mounting plate, replaced the connections just below the plate—they seem to get moisture and corrode after a time. I also replaced the cable from the connection through the lift to the head. The key is finding some uv resistant cable. It’s not a really big job and in my case it solved the problem. On my present 2001 Winnebago which I recently purchased, I updated the antenna and decided to go ahead and replace the cable. When I removed the mounting plate, the builders had looped the cable under the mounting plate and mashed the cable between the mounting plate and the roof. It wasn’t causing trouble, but surely would sooner rather than later.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally the cable "Through the roof" is in 3 parts

1:Cable TO the roof
2:Bulkhead connector THROUGH the roof
3:Cable to the antenna

The 3rd part often fails (Due to effects of sunlight) and needs replacement, In fact it is time for me to consider doing that

The Second part: I have heard of at least 2 failures (Seen one personally)

The first part: almost never fails since it is not exposed to sun or weather.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #14

This one is in two parts. One From the winegard power supply located in a cabinet near the door up through the roof. The second from that one up to the antenna head. They did not route it through the hole in the base plate.

I think if I can get all the roof putty off from where it comes up to where it connects to the one going up the antenna, I think I can pull the remainder of the old one done from inside. It looks to be a straight shot.

Tags
antenna, replace, replacement