Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I'll answer,
based on several studies I've read the best at distance reception is the batwing with a wingman add On but it is hightl directional , needs to be pointed at the station antenna .. Good if all the stations in a area are in the same direction. The razar and Jack will both mount easily on your existing wingman crank up posts. They are also good but not as directional and as a sacrifice give up some distance ability for being able to receive in more directions without moving.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I'll answer,
based on several studies I've read the best at distance reception is the batwing with a wingman add On but it is hightl directional , needs to be pointed at the station antenna .. Good if all the stations in a area are in the same direction. The razar and Jack will both mount easily on your existing wingman crank up posts. They are also good but not as directional and as a sacrifice give up some distance ability for being able to receive in more directions without moving.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the mounting being the same for both of these types of antennas, because the Jack will not mount on the existing crank up post like the Rayzer does.

My question was in his opinion (he sells both) witch is the better upgrade.....I understand the reading of lots of studies that can be read on the internet.....

Thanks for your reply....

Mike

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #17

Mike, regarding the better upgrade, there is a question regarding the reception area it will be most frequently used in, right?

My opinion, it's the fringe area reception capabilities where most antenna's true practical value is going to be judged. Again in my opinion, under those conditions, you're going to have a difficult time beating the every day performance of a plain 'ol amplified batwing...
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Wingard VHF/UHF Rooftop Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the mounting being the same for both of these types of antennas, because the Jack will not mount on the existing crank up post like the Rayzer does.

My question was in his opinion (he sells both) witch is the better upgrade.....I understand the reading of lots of studies that can be read on the internet.....

Thanks for your reply....

Mike
Really ?
Sorry Mike you're wrong . There is a jack head unit that Is made to mount on the Winegard wingman bars Do the amazon search , good luck sorry to have given you irrelevant info
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Oh my. The classic Ford or Chevy question.

Honestly, as in most best debates, there are pros and cons to each. As stated before, the maximum range is the Sensar IV with a wingman attached. As was mentioned, it is highly directional and in some locations, you may have to rotate the antenna to watch other stations.

The Jack gives up a small amount in range, to give a wider beam. You may not pick up the one station 70 miles away, but you can watch most of the channels 30 miles away possibly without turning the antenna. As with the Sensar, the Jack has a front side and a back side, and will pick up better from the front than from the back. So again it is "directional", but not as narrow as the Sensar.

The RAZAR would better be described as "bi-directional" as the reception pattern is nearly identical from both the front and the back. It is also a rather wide reception pattern, so pointing is not as critical as with the Jack, and the Sensar.

It is quite possible to find situations where any one of the three can "out perform" the other two in a given location. Keep in mind how you define performance, pulling in the farthest station, or pulling in the most stations, are two very different metrics.

I currently have a Jack antenna installed in place of my old Sensar. ( The Sensar had a problem with a low hanging obstruction about 3 years ago.) I do have a RAZAR in a box waiting for me to try it out. I'll probably have it installed to go to the iRV2 Rally in Myrtle Beach. I really don't use the off air antenna very much, only for local weather when we are on the move and don't have the correct DTV locals set up, or for quick rest stops too short to deploy the Travler.

In reality I can't say which is best. It is really going to depend on where you camp in relation to the TV towers. If I have to make a choice, I believe that I'd give the nod to the RAZAR, because of the bi-directional capabilities and the reduced need to rotate the antenna to provide peak signal.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #20

The MH is a 1992 Coachmen Class A, so I assume it was probably the original antenna, but do not know that for sure.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can do what I did you can call Winegard tech support and have them send over the specs. Antenna gain is measured in Decibels. The gain for the sensar with the batwing is almost the same as the Razar. They should have about the exact same reception abilities. The only difference as I stated before is the sensar has a dead spot since the antenna can not turn a full 360 degrees. The razar does not have a dead spot since the antenna gain is the same from the front or the back of the antenna. I see no reason to go with the sensar and batwing for a replacement antenna
Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Really ?
Sorry Mike you're wrong . There is a jack head unit that Is made to mount on the Winegard wingman bars Do the amazon search , good luck sorry to have given you irrelevant info
Yes I guess I am wrong. Sorry about that, I guess I did not dig far enough down in Amazon... I did find a Jack that will attach to the existing poles...I stand corrected and now that I got the Ford or Chev description I think I will go with the Rayzer and not make many changes to the HR roof.....

Again I will do a better job of exploring before I make those kind of statements, crow does not go down well........

Mike

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roof