Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Adventure

Hi, we are looking at Winnebago Adventure Rv's. Our budget will restrict us to a 1999 thur 2004 low to highest amount. Are there any particular years to avoid? Or any advantage to one particular model? Also a question about a Winnebago Brave, is it a higher trim level than the adventure. Thanks Love this forum. Entertaining as well as informative. Doug
Smsudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an 03 Adventurer which I bought used. I've had no major issues with it yet and have driven to Yellowstone and back. The Adventurer is the High Line of Gas MH for this year of Winnies. The biggest thing I can offer is have the basement air thoroughly checked out in both cooling and heating mode.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a 2002 Brave, Ford Chassis and sometimes wish I had it back. Drove all over the us and never had a problem. Any questions, just ask and I will answer if I can.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

We are now on our second Winnebago gas product, both purchased used. In 2001 we bought a '98 Brave with no slides. Great coach, on a GM chassis. Ran it with absolutely no problems until we traded it in the spring of '12. We now have our current rig, on a workhorse platform and love it. Winnebago makes a good solid coach in most all of it's lines. If reasonably cared for should last a good long time.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

We have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38G and are very happy with our unit. We went to this years RV show in Pomona with the intent of perhaps getting newer but we found what we have does everything we need and does it well.
Previous responder is correct is suggesting you check the basement air as it is no longer supported by Winnebago or Coleman. However my tech assures me that repair will not be a problem should it ever be required. Ours is on the Workhorse chassie, and there was a recall on the brakes, and everyone knows about the recall on the Norcold. There was also a recall on a fuel connection. None of these were a problem to us however you should make sure the previous owner followed through on all.
It's a good motorhome and we are looking forward to a trip to the FMCA Rally in Indio this week.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Hi Doug,
The Adventurer is a higher trim line than the Brave. While your looking you may find it useful to be able to view the original brochures to compare models and changes from year to year. Here is a link:

Previous Model Year Product Information

Winnebago has all sorts of information available for older models.

Good luck with your search!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

You asked if there are any years to avoid. Not specific years, but be aware that the late 90's Chevy chassis and early Workhorse used what is called an "autopark" brake system. Those have been know to cause problems for some. Our Brave had that system and we never had a problem. I regularly checked for leaks and made sure the fluid was full (regular maintenance). Like any brand, if you are buying used ask for any service records. If it has been regularly maintained and the owner took the time to save the records you'll be a step ahead.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winnie Adventurer

Hi Doug, I have a 2005 Adventurer 38j. It has an 8.1 engine with Allison Trans. and the Workhorse chassis. A great combination. It is the higher end model campared to the Brave. I think it replaced the Winnie Chiefton model. We love traveling in it and has all the conforts of home as we spend about 7 month a year in it. The floor plan in the 38j is different from most of the plans in that it has an entertainment center w/tv on the floor opposite the seating so you don't end up with a kink in your neck watching tv. The only con on the Adventurer is the basement air. It's under the master bed and mine is noisy. Also runs much better on 50 amps vs. 30amps. Look for the things that make you comfortable because you will enjoy traveling much more.
jrchep is offline   Reply With Quote