Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Cool Winnebago Adventurer

Being a prospective RV owner I have narrowed down my choices to maybe a Winnebago. I probably would go used 2007 or newer and am wondering if I can get any pointers from other RV owners as to my choice. I am open to anything right now. It was easier buying a boat some years ago as the choices were limited compared to an rv.
Thanks, Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our first RV was a new 2005 Adventurer, with 3 slides, model 35A. Really enjoyed it, no problems except the few nits and nats with anything purchased new these days. Little bouncy/stiff on rough roads. Towed a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Okay on the level, but hills made the gasser really work to reach the top of the hill. Switched over to a diesel in 2008, mainly for better rideability and towing capacity. Can't go wrong with a Winn!

dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had 2 Winnebagos and they are a great manufacturer that will stand behind their product.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Being a prospective RV owner I have narrowed down my choices to maybe a Winnebago. I probably would go used 2007 or newer and am wondering if I can get any pointers from other RV owners as to my choice. I am open to anything right now. It was easier buying a boat some years ago as the choices were limited compared to an rv.
Thanks, Ed
Welcome to the forum ED.

I had a 2001 winn. chieftain 35u and went to 49 states and put on 52,000 miles on it.

It was a good mh .I now have a 2008 fleetwood bounder and like it as well. The fleetwood product is 20-25% lower for some reason and IMHO they are equal in quality.

Food for thought.

Enjoy your travels in what ever you decide on.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ed,

Welcome to iRV2.

Winnebago is a very good choice. I've owned 5 over the years (have an HR now) and was always pleased with them, my dealers and the the company. Of course any company can have its problems or even lemons so just carefully check it before buying.

A good source for info are current and prior owners. Check out the various owner forums here on iRV2. You'll find plenty of folks willing to answer any questions you may have.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

Buying a motorhome involves a lot of thought as they are not cheap. I think I would first see what I can handle driving by that I mean from a Class C unit or a Class A unit. Some people are afraid of the larger units. You must also consider what are you going to use it for? Are you going out just on weekends or a few weeks or Summer vacations or will you be out for 3 or 4 months?

You have the right idea about buying used but you might want to start out with say a 24' Class C to get your feet wet then if all goes well move up to a larger Class C or a smaller Class A.

I have been RVing since 1989 and started out with a used 87 Minnie Winnie 24 footer and no tow vehicle. Then I went to a 96 Minnie Winnie 31 footer both of which are Winnebagos Class C. From there I went to my present coach which is an 04 Adventurer Class A 33 footer and I tow a vehicle on a tow dolly. Now the latter is really nice to stay out for extended periods of time as it has 2 slide outs and plenty of room and is quite comfortable for the 2 of us.

So you see there is a lot to consider, however you have one thing in your favor you came to the right place as IRV2 people are knowledgeable and will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Good luck and hope to see you diown the road.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Hi,
I'd probably argue with the recommendation to start with a C. There are small used Class A's that provide much more room for the same length/weight. As far a driving, there is very little, if any difference between C's and A's. We started with a 22' Flair class A and within a year moved up to a 32' class A Pursuit. Neither was a problem to drive or tow with. The floor plan wasn't much different (king bed, larger shower); just 10 years newer, and 10 feet longer.
Ideally, I'd think its best to start with a unit that appears to provide everything you want. You'll probably start to lust after a diesel pusher anyway, but may take longer to get to that point.
Ernie
Its Floor Plan! Floor Plan!, etc.

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Ernie ans Tara,

Appreciate your reponse to my post, however since you have never driven a Class C then how can you compare both. You have to realize that not everyone can hop in a Class A and drive it everywhere. Since a Class C is on a cutaway chassis it gives the feeling of a van, a big van and a lot of people prefer to start that way. What you are saying is that a newbie can hop in a Prevost or any Class A like a DP and drive it, I doubt it.
I used to drive charter buses and have quite a few miles under my belt. That said when I went from a Class C to Class A I had to adjust my driving even though I had driven big buses. It especially makes a difference when it's yours and you paid for it.
Yes the floor plan does make a difference, however today the Class C's even have slide outs and their floor plans are pretty good especially if you check out the Winnebago line.
Again what a person prefers to drive is their personal opinion, however I was just giving my expertise since I have been driving motorhomes since 1989 and started driving charter buses in '84.
Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

When I test drove a class C, I noticed right away that when a semi passed, the C would want to move to the right. After the semi passed, the C wanted to move to the left. My first class A did almost the same plus a crosswind would rock the A.
I now have a class A DP, and it is much heavier, so I noticed no pushing to right or left when a semi passes, and the DP is much more stabil in the crosswinds.
Driving the DP has been a much, much better experience for me.

Test drive the class C's, A's (gas & diesel) and see what you think. After all, it's your money.

Choose wisely and buy your last motorhome first.

Sincerely,
Alex
Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the Adventurer is on a Workhorse chassis you might want to check the thread relative to the brake issues.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #11

Ed, I'd agree buying used is a good choice. We bought used and I'm very satisfied with the purchase. This is our first RV, so we did jump into it with both feet. It is a Class A but we just were not comfortable with a DP. We did buy as big as we thought we could handle both physically and financially to travel extensively out West...well, that's the plan.

I would not recommend buying as we did...E-Bay, GAD! There were excellent pics however and the unit only had 17K miles and it showed very little use. As it turns out, according to NADA, we saved a TON, super pleased but swore that we would NEVER do that again ...too stressful!

It would have been nice to start out smaller, but that wasn't an option for us. We had only ONE shot at this dream and just couldn't afford to upgrade as the RVing experience got to a higher level. Although we haven't traveled as yet (mostly done small upgrades and preventive maintenance so far) I'm getting more comfortable with driving and towing the Jeep. The learning curve IS a little STEEP but that's the way it has to be...not as white knuckled or have the stomach churning concern trying to keep the outside mirrors attached as at first!

All said, I'd go with the unit, whether it be class 'B', 'C' or 'A', that suits the 'floor plan' level of comfort you think best for your intended use and duration of travel. Just keep to driving off peak traffic hours at first and stay with familiar wide streets and roads. Also using very local CGs help with that learning curve...that's in our plan as well. Hopefully, our bag of luck won't run out before we fill our bag of experience! Have fun with your search...and have patience, there are some mighty good deals out there on some very low time units! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #12

Tom,
Apparently I inadvertently offended you. If so, I sincerely apologize. I certainly did not intend to.
I did not say I'd never driven a C, but in my admittedly limited experience, I find no notable difference between driving a 30' class C (or truck for that matter) and my current 32' Class A. In all cases, the principal requirement is to THINK about what you are doing, particularly where the tail end is going and how tight you turn. Interestingly, I found that a 22' Class A with a large overhang (short wheelbase relative to length) was more difficult to handle than the longer 32' unit.
In any event, the MH should suit your needs and preferences; not mine. I was just trying to help and offer a different opinion.
Have a great day.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #13

We took a little different route in deciding which unit to buy. Before we purchased anything we rented both class C units and class A units. The main reasons for renting before buying were to be sure our dogs could handle several weeks at a time in a motorhome, making sure we would enjoy the lifestle, and of course to determine which motorhome fit us best.

We and the dogs all liked the lifestyle so the only remaining decision was what to buy. My wife and I both liked the room, ammenities and floor plan of the Winnebago Adventurer. We purchased and still have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the 208" wheelbase Ford chassis. It has taken us nearly 80,000 miles over the last 10 years without any major problems.

The thing I like most about Winnebago is that they stand behind their products. As with anything new there is always a break in period where you find a few minor problems that need to be corrected. Everything was handled promptly without discussion during the warranty period. I have repaired 99% of the minor things that have needed attention since the warranty ran out. The few things I didn't want to address were taken care of at the Winnebago factory service center in Forest City IA.
We will definately buy another Winnebago product. At times we wish we had something smaller so we could be (as my wife says) a bit more "nimble" and pull of to any roadside stand at a moments notice. Other times my wife would like the luxury of an onboard washer and dryer and a couple more lounge chairs for the times when company comes over. Since our current coach is still running fine we can put off that decision for a while. When the time does come we're probably going to have some long and serious discussions.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #14

We are full-timing in an 07 Adventurer 38J on a Workhorse chassis and I have no problem at all recommending Winnebago and Workhorse in general and the Adventurer specifically. We have had no major issues at all, and I believe the brake problems did not affect the 2007 and newer models. The minor problems we have had that were covered under warranty were addressed quickly and the repairs or replacements have been 100% effective.

If we were to decide to buy another coach, it would almost certainly be a Winnebago product.