Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Winnebago Adventurer VS. Newmar Mountain Aire

Good Morning all, this is my first post in this outstanding forum with hopes of getting some valuable information from folks who have experience with Class A coaches.

I'm have found two Class A Gas MH's that I'm torn between and I'm looking for suggestions. The MH's are a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35B or a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 3766; both coaches have similiar prices, the Winnebago has 23K miles and the Newmar has 51K miles. The Newmar does not need anything and the Winnebago will need tires.

Any suggestions, insight or experience would be beneficial and greatly appreciated.

Edwin
__________________

__________________
edwincatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939
I have no experience with either one but
__________________

__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincatano View Post
Good Morning all, this is my first post in this outstanding forum with hopes of getting some valuable information from folks who have experience with Class A coaches.

I'm have found two Class A Gas MH's that I'm torn between and I'm looking for suggestions. The MH's are a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35B or a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 3766; both coaches have similiar prices, the Winnebago has 23K miles and the Newmar has 51K miles. The Newmar does not need anything and the Winnebago will need tires.

Any suggestions, insight or experience would be beneficial and greatly appreciated.

Edwin
If they are both on the same chassis, I'd take the Newmar Mountain Aire. It has always been their Top-of-the-Line gasser, and will be "nicer" than the WBGO coach, IMO. The cost of new tires will more than make up for the additional miles on the MACA.

OBTW- Buy the one your WIFE likes best.
Ed
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,444
IMHO, the fit and Finnish on the Newmar will be far above anything coming out of Winnebago. IMHO, but I am bias
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
AgnewCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
We have a 2006 Adventure 37B. Love it and have put over 10000 miles on it since the purchase in
May of 2011 and it had a whopping 950 miles. It had been setting in a field for five years not started or used at all. We have had a few little items to fix but has been a great vehicle for our family of 8. The workhorse chassis is awesome with a 8.1 gm. Mileage is getting better but mountains of wv are rolling. Always has travel trailers and this is our first coach. Good luck and happy rving.
__________________
A Family That Camps Together, Stays Together.
AgnewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
I agree that the Newmar has a higher quality look and feel, which my wife really appreciates. What I can't put my finger on, and for the life of me can't find any data to support is: why is the resale value of the Winny so much higher than the Newmar? Winny NADA = 39k vs 25k for the Newmar.

Thanks for having me on this forum and I'm really looking forward to living the dream...
__________________
edwincatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnewCrew View Post
We have a 2006 Adventure 37B. Love it and have put over 10000 miles on it since the purchase in
May of 2011 and it had a whopping 950 miles. It had been setting in a field for five years not started or used at all. We have had a few little items to fix but has been a great vehicle for our family of 8. The workhorse chassis is awesome with a 8.1 gm. Mileage is getting better but mountains of wv are rolling. Always has travel trailers and this is our first coach. Good luck and happy rving.
Thanks for sharing, It's a really tough decision, but like an earlier post mentioned, the wife will probably end up making the decision making process easy.
__________________
edwincatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Kazoo Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 1,182
I think if you do some checking you will find that both Newmar and Winnebago both make good quality motorhomes. We are on our second Winnebago and love it. You are correct in noting that Winnebago seems to have a slightly higher resale value. You simply don't see too many Winnegago's on the used market, the owners tend to keep them. We also like the customer service offered by Winnebago, especially the wiring, plumbing and parts diagrams available on their web site.

I think you'd be happy with either one, pick the floorplan that suits you best.
__________________
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincatano View Post
I agree that the Newmar has a higher quality look and feel, which my wife really appreciates. What I can't put my finger on, and for the life of me can't find any data to support is: why is the resale value of the Winny so much higher than the Newmar? Winny NADA = 39k vs 25k for the Newmar.

Thanks for having me on this forum and I'm really looking forward to living the dream...
I thought you posted they were priced "similar". I don't consider a $14,000 difference "similar". If they ARE selling for "similar", then that just shows that the NADA is not really "true market".

The higher NADA valuation on the WBGO is most likely based on the lower mileage. Do you know if the chassis are the same?
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I thought you posted they were priced "similar". I don't consider a $14,000 difference "similar". If they ARE selling for "similar", then that just shows that the NADA is not really "true market".

The higher NADA valuation on the WBGO is most likely based on the lower mileage. Do you know if the chassis are the same?
Ed-- Both coaches I'm considering buying are priced equally but the NADA valuation are $14K apart. I get what you are saying about the mileage difference, but $14K difference sounds excessive. When I called my bank that is doing the financing they gave me the following explination: "NADA sometimes doesn't show true value and there is no rhyme or reason"...sound familiar?
__________________
edwincatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,726
Welcome to irv2.
Can not help with the Winne but can for Newmar.
Here is a Brochure & Owners Guide.
Says its on a Ford chassis not Workhorse which was starting to come on market at that time.
Found they were on Workhorse this is NADA price without added options the coach would have. Just change the mileage if higher the Workhorse chassis was more expensive chassis.
If you can get the Vin# or coach build number I can pull up the stuff that was installed in that Newmar.
Good luck in your quest.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincatano View Post
The MH's are a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35B or a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 3766;
Edwin
Coincidentally I have looked at both the Mountain Aire and Adventurer in my search for a new motor home. I liked both but must admit that although the Mountain Aire left me with a sense of higher quality construction I found the interior slightly over done with an abundance of mirrors everywhere.
The Adventurer was much more plain however it seemed more "cozy" if that makes any sense. The Adventurer I looked at had the basement air that left me concerned with outside storage. They've all got their pluses and minuses!
The big deterrent for me on the Mountain Aires built prior to 2005 is that they are a heavy coach on a 22,000 lb chassis. I've seen them with carrying capacity of less than 300 pounds. Newmar eventually recognized the issue and in 2005 they came standard with a W24 chassis.
I suspect the 35' Mountain Aire might be a whole different story.
__________________
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 507
Forget the Winabagel.....Newmar hands down....
__________________
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Hello all, I just wanted to let all of you know that I decided on the Winnebago. Thank you all for your valuable input. I pick up the rig on Tuesday and will prep it for an October trip from San Diego to Vancouver.
__________________

__________________
edwincatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newmar, vent, winnebago



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.