Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceeb View Post
I have an opportunity to trade my truck/fifth wheel for a 2008 Winnebago Destination 37g. Kinda like my first trip down a ski hill; anxious, concerned, perplexed. I HAVE NO INTENTIONS ON CONSIDERING THE COST TO PURCHASE OR MAINTAIN A DP. I HAVE MANY FRIENDS WHO OWN THEM, AND I SAY GOOD FOR THEM. NOT FOR ME. I JUST HOPE THE GAS PUSHER WILL GIVE ME THE POWER I NEED TO TOW MY GMNC TERRAIN UP STEEP MOUNTAIN GRADES.
Bruce, sounds like you have a good plan and know exactly what you want. I will concur with your thinking that maintaining a DP is certainly more expensive than a gas MH. And with the age of the coach you're considering, you could be entering a phase where some of the original components need to be replaced. I recently purchased the 39' version of the Destination with a Cummins/Freightliner instead of UFO, and I just (yesterday) had to replace one of the air bags and an air exhauster valve. You would not have either of those problems with the gas coach. We went primarily from gas to DP b/c we were tired of the heat and noise from our gas MH. But I would have strongly considered the Destination UFO model if I would have seen one. We were looking for a non-traditional floor plan, and the Destination certainly fits that requirement. We really like it.

Re: power, my guess is the 7.4 L will provide all the power you need for your Terrain.

Good luck. Let us know if you get the Destination. There are some very helpful Destination owners on this forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Love the class A. Have had gas and DP. Definitely prefer the Diesel for several reasons, but chief may be that during day while driving up front, the engine is in back...QUIET. At night when sleeping in the back (dry camping) the generator is up front.....QUIET. Did I say I love it? YEP!
Irene

Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
Bruce, sounds like you have a good plan and know exactly what you want....... I recently purchased the 39' version of the Destination with a Cummins/Freightliner instead of UFO, ....... We went primarily from gas to DP b/c we were tired of the heat and noise from our gas MH. But I would have strongly considered the Destination UFO model if I would have seen one.....

Re: power, my guess is the 7.4 L will provide all the power you need for your Terrain.

Good luck. Let us know if you get the Destination. There are some very helpful Destination owners on this forum.
BRYAN H : Point of order here.... The UFO is powered by an 8.1L GM gas motor rated at 340 HP. IMO, it will perform "ok" even in mountains, but the driver will need to get the RPMs up around 3,200 BEFORE starting up a serious incline, and try to keep the RPMs there by downshifting as needed. The Allison can handle it, and the Grade Brake can be very helpful when descending the other side.
Ed
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #18

Winnebago Destination 37g

Thank you all for your input. The coach I am looking at has had the fan clutch/water pump shaft replaced quite some time ago, and it has been running smoothly ever since. It's in beautiful shape, and the owner is a perfectionist. It shows in the coach. I'm leaning very heavily in that direction. One thing that he has done is replace the entire exhaust system with a flow-through system. He says the gas mileage is now in the 10 - 12 MPG, even towing his Saturn. Works for me.
I have yet to drive a motorhome, but tomorrow it will happen. My wife and I sat in the driver and passenger seat of a 28 foot Winnebago Journey yesterday.
Very intimidating. My wife said "Oh my God, this thing is HUGE!"
Test drive tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

Ed, thanks for the correction.

Bruce, I wouldn't count on 10-12 mpg. I believe that's optimistic. 8-9 mpg is probably more realistic.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
Ed, thanks for the correction.

Bruce, I wouldn't count on 10-12 mpg. I believe that's optimistic. 8-9 mpg is probably more realistic.
I agree. Free flowing mufflers also muffle less noise, but at least with a rear engine chassis you won't hear it as much.

Please let us know how your test drive went.
Ed
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #21

Thanks for the info, Lori. Looks like we are about to become the proud owners of a 2008 Winnebago Destination 37G gas pusher. Can hardly wait. Traded a Truck and fiver for it.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #22

Driver test in about a week. The coach is a couple hundred miles away, so will be making reservations at an RV park for my truck and fifth wheel near the coach owner's home.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bruce, as the very happy and satisfied original owner of a 39W, I'd like to learn about the after market exhaust system components on this coach you're considering. Hope you can share!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #24

I'll get the info from the owner and let you know.
Bruce
Old 07-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 39W UFO gets a consistent average 7 MPG. I don't believe there is anything I can do the 8.1 to get an average of 10 plus MPG. As Ed said above, you need to get a run at the big hills if you can. I have never heard of an "overheating problem". I did have the FCA failure but have since put about 35000 miles on the MH without a problem.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #26

Smile Exhaust info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
Hey Bruce, as the very happy and satisfied original owner of a 39W, I'd like to learn about the after market exhaust system components on this coach you're considering. Hope you can share!
Here is the reply I got from him this morning;

Replaced factory mufflers with 70 Series Flowmaster mufflers, lower restriction--better flow, increased mileage by 20%.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceeb View Post
Here is the reply I got from him this morning;

Replaced factory mufflers with 70 Series Flowmaster mufflers, lower restriction--better flow, increased mileage by 20%.
7.0MPG (normal) times 1.2 (20%increase) = 8.4MPG

Now THAT seems reasonable....10-12 MPG is a fanciful dream.
Ed
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I asked Redlands Truck about replacing the mufflers on my UFO to improve mileage. They told me the exhaust is already short and not very restrictive. They thought MPG gain would probably be 1/2 MPG or so.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago