Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago or Itasca 26P

We currently have a Coachmen Class C 21QB and are thinking of getting a class A - we don't want anything too big because we are going to park in our driveway. Does anyone have any experience with this type of unit and if so, good or bad. In looking at the floor plan - I would prefer to take the bed out of the bedroom and put in a sleep sofa - don't know if that is possible. Anyone have any comments about that. I think the floor space is better utilized without using up all that space for a bed! Any suggestions etc. would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thumbs up Almost 26P

Hi....
We almost bought a Winn/Itsca 26P...
Did alot of research...good units for short trips, and 2 people, maybe 2 little ones...
NOT good on CCC capacity; @ 800-900 lbs max due to the SHORT chassis-wheelbse...
Also, not best highway handling due to short wheelbase, again, and Class A height, center of gravity...
For short trips, low mileage on highways, it's agreat floorplan, size, manageable....
We ended up with a Fleetwood SWind 32V with Longer Wheelbase, extra LR couch, and almost 2300lb CCC after Fuel-Propane only...We are planning on extended FT travel this year...Need the better handling-ride-CCC.
The 26P was our 'first love' though....
Geno and Heidi in FL

geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if the 2013 26HE has better CCC since it has only one slide? May be worth checking into.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2 things to think about CCC and GCWR, ie how much it can tow. Now as far as the Winniebago/Itasca MH's it depends on if yo are going new or old. The new ones have the roof air and removing the rear bed might not be to hard but the older models have basement air on some and the bed covers the AC/Heater which could cause it to be quite difficult to remove the rear bed.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

My father picked up an Itasca 26HE yesterday. If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Putting in a sofa would be difficult, as the area under the upper half of the bed is "outside" storage.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just checked today on the 26HE model, and it has 2,749 of cargo and passenger capacity...that's more than I thought it would be!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for your responses. The problem with the HE is it only comes with a dinette and I don't like just a dinette. I would prefer a couch or 2 recliners. I haven't looked close enough to them regarding CCC and taking the bed out. We need to start looking around, but there aren't that many places to go within a reasonable distance from where we live. I do a lot of shopping online prior to going out to a dealer. That way, I can narrow the selection down to something manageable.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #8

Have the 2011 Vista 26P. We pulled out the dinnette and put some lazy boys in it. Also replaced the flat screen and located behind the pass seat so we did not hurt our necks as well as removing that little worthless chair.

As far as removing the bed it could be done, however the spare tire is located underneath the bed so you would need to get rid of it or come up with a new creative location for it.

Tags
itasca, winnebago