Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How important to you is a comfortable recliner facing a nice big TV
Vital: I'm proud to be a Couch Potato! 6 25.00%
Important: When I watch TV, I want to be comfortable (and be able to SEE the darned thing) 18 75.00%
Bleh: Sometimes I'll find an hour to sit down and watch something. 0 0%
Blah: I got this RV to travel and see nature; TV's only for when it's raining. 0 0%
Nix: TV will suck the brain right out of your head; keep your TV and give me the window! 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Rest-Easy Recliners & TVs

The good: We are about to get back into RV living. We love the 2013 Adventurer 37F floor-plan, particularly the dinette with the big 40" TV that rises up out of it and the seating DIRECTLY across from it.

Ok, I'll admit it; when I'm not working, I'm often a Couch Potato and my back appreciates a comfortable recliner. Our single most important must-have for our new MH purchase will be a congenial, reclining option for watching a big screen TV (directly on, not one of those crane your neck to look off to the side deals; and not looking at a TV which is at an oblique angle).

Area for Improvement: We've only been able to sit in a Rest-Easy double-reclining sofa/bed one time, but it was pretty difficult to settle in and get comfortable. One problem: the low-rise back cushion means your head is not supported when you recline. We tried moving all sorts of cushions around from the RV to prop up our heads but couldn't get it quite right (I'm sure the sales people loved seeing us leave!).

Also, we're not very sure about the lumbar support over the long haul.

We actually thought of having the factory (or someone) just haul away the factory seating and bolt down a couple of consumer recliners; but I know this wouldn't be so good for resale (and, heck, we MIGHT just convince the kids and grand kids to come visit and don't want to make them sleep on the floor! -- Also, what about seatbelts??)

Suggestion to Winnebago: I know that it's tricky to engineer a double-recliner that is comfortable as a recliner first and foremost (think La-z-Boy) but also provides emergency sleeping for guests; but I KNOW Winnebago can do it if they apply their best minds to it. Maybe a lot of potential customers will be embarrassed to confess this, but I bet a lot of folks secretly share this priority. Find yourselves an ergonomics consultant with a specialization in seating (if you don't already have one on staff) and delight us -- please!

Otherwise, any Winnebago customers have any tips/solutions?

P.S. When I say "big" TV, I base my ideal requirement on the widely cited SMPTE recommendation for optimum HDTV viewing: a 30-degree viewing angle, which translates to a distance from the TV of 1.6 times the diagonal size of the TV. So, for the 37F's 40" tv, that would be optimal at 5.3 feet away.

I'm guessing the actual viewing distance with sliders out is a little more than 8 feet. Thus, an ideal TV size for the 37F, according to the SMPTE standard, would be 60". Unlikely, I know, but just sayin...

P.P.S. Another widely-cited industry standard is for 20-degree viewing angle or 2.5 times the diagonal TV size. A 40" TV at 20 degrees is just about 8 feet; If I can get a comfortable reclining experience with a direct-on view of the TV, I'm sure I'll be happy with the nice 40" TV!

JeffAndMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
When the dealer showed us the used 42' Dynasty we bought it had the 2nd couch sitting on its back not installed from the 2008 they traded for.

My comment was Great get that thing out of here I want no part of it and the leather euro chairs in our rig will fit right there. No problem they are not for riding in while driving so they are not fastened and do not have belts and have never moved in the slide out.

I had a cabinet shop make me a computer desk for the front corner and now we have two euro chairs J lounge and freestanding drop leaf table and four real chairs plus the front chairs swivel for guests. We can have 11 in the front on a cold or rainy day for coffee if we need to.

Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
With the layout of our Winnebago Journey 40U You have 3 different seating option to watch TV all of which are very comfortable, 1) Couch directly across from TV, 2) Euro recliner to the left of the TV, 3) Passengers seat.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
We have an 01 37g. Winnebago makes some great furniture and the older mohos had a recliner you can move around. Opposing couches were pretty easy to fix by taking out one for recliners but on the new ones kicking a sectional sofa out would take several people. Are we going backward?
Sounds pretty trashy but a peice of PVC plastic shoved in the right places behind the frame will give you lumbar support.
Good luck
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, We have a 2005 Vectra 40AD and love it, but we don't love the leather Rest-Easy couch. We would like to sell it so we can put in a couple of Lazy Boy recliners. Any ideas of how to find a buyer?
Jaderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Jaderus View Post
Hi, We have a 2005 Vectra 40AD and love it, but we don't love the leather Rest-Easy couch. We would like to sell it so we can put in a couple of Lazy Boy recliners. Any ideas of how to find a buyer?
You can list it in the iRV2 site classifieds, try Craigslist, want ads, etc. http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote