Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Question Winnebago - should I?

Last summer we looked at a 2007 36 ft Winnebago Suncruiser Workhorse chassis with 7,007 miles on it. Drove great, looked clean. Asking $69K. Just found the rig again at the same dealer $20k cheaper. Too good to be true? What should I be paying attention to? Which way to run. Toward or away?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Google the make and model to see what the rest of the world is asking. $20K is a big price swing.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

I would verify online to see what current values are. It may be a motorhome that just didn't sell for no real reason. However thoroughly inspect it. Look for water damage, soft walls, make sure everything works including black tank flushing lines, etc. Even have someone go over it. I would drive it at least 20 miles to make sure you are happy with the powertrain. The motorhome my wife and purchased this spring sat for a while also. The dealer dropped the price considerably. I had to do some minor things to it but it was expected. Overall we are very happy with it and the price we paid.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
This is the tough part of trying to buy....is it too good of a deal? If this is a consignment maybe the owner needs cash. $20K drop is big if the unit was priced right in the first place.You never know how well the dealer did on the trade-in or purchasing it at wholesale. I would expect a dealer might wholesale it instead of dropping the price $20K unless they put a lot of money into fixing problems.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought my allegro bus it had been priced 20 thousand above what the listed price was before I looked at it. The unit had been on their lot for a while and they wanted to sell it. When I bought it they came down another 8 thousand off of that. So I received a 28000 dollar drop from the price it was posted at the week before. Sometimes dealers just want to make room for other models or maybe to get inventory off of lots for tax reasons etc.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #6

This is the slow time of year when dealers are aggressively dumping anything they can get rid of, to avoid having to store it over the winter duldrums.

Also a good time of year to come in with stink bid; leave your name, address and phone, and let it sit with them for a few days. See what kind of counter-offer they come back with.

Since it's a Winnebago, check the sides for delamination, with extreme care.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #7

I have purchased 2 used MHs over the last 10 years. My first step is always consulting the RV Consumer Group guide for rating info. If it rates poorly there I do not even pursue it. The guide is the best 78 bucks I spent (compared to the cost of the coach.)

rv.org

The online blue book price guides can then be another benchmark to work from. Note........ if the dealer's lot is covered in snow it can be a very slooow time for them.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Assume with such low miles that it will need a full fluid service; coolant, engine oil, transmission, rear end, brake fluid plus all filters. Put back about $1500-$2000 to have it serviced.

Also, you may be looking at new tires. Chances are the tires are going on 8 years old. Bank $3K on tires, and you should have some change left over.

Otherwise, if the coach is in good condition, and the price is within the range of NADA retail, then go for it. Winnebago is a good brand.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

I kinda keep my eye on the prices for a 2008 Winnebago 38T. I can buy a 38T for about 75k. Maybe 72k.

That means your deal is not bad at all. I would run toward it. If it checks out clean go for it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #10

Thumbs up I'll take another look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Assume with such low miles that it will need a full fluid service; coolant, engine oil, transmission, rear end, brake fluid plus all filters. Put back about $1500-$2000 to have it serviced.

Also, you may be looking at new tires. Chances are the tires are going on 8 years old. Bank $3K on tires, and you should have some change left over.

Otherwise, if the coach is in good condition, and the price is within the range of NADA retail, then go for it. Winnebago is a good brand.

All sounds reasonable. Can't really find anything on the .www that compares. Below N.A.D.A. Maybe new belts too. I am thinking it deserves another look. thanks to all for the input!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue book list for $69k to $84K for that model. As someone said it will need all fluids changed if there is no record of it getting done lately. Make sure you check the date code on the tires this will be the most costly thing you will need right off the bat. If you decide to deal on this, then see if you can get new tires included I the price or at least Dealer cost installed.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Pusherman and SuperGewl. While you might not get any consideration for tires you might get the dealerships to perform a good portion of the necessary maintenance items that can be done in-house. Don't worry why they are selling it or dropping the price if you think the price is right and you don't find any serious deficiencies. You might try to get an extended warranty if you are really concerned.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago