Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Winnebago slide lock leak

We have a 2007 Tour 40FD and have had a leak in the sofa side slide cabinet that I thought was solved by clearing the drain hole with a pipe cleaner. It started leaking again and I think I need to get to the lock on the outside under the cover to repair. As best as I can see the awning cover was holding water and there was water standing on top of the slide. Not sure if it is leaking onto the top of the slide and I am not sure if I should tackle removing the awning cover on my own or not. We have been full time since June and are loving it. Any suggestions??

JBradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradC View Post
We have a 2007 Tour 40FD and have had a leak in the sofa side slide cabinet that I thought was solved by clearing the drain hole with a pipe cleaner. It started leaking again and I think I need to get to the lock on the outside under the cover to repair. As best as I can see the awning cover was holding water and there was water standing on top of the slide. Not sure if it is leaking onto the top of the slide and I am not sure if I should tackle removing the awning cover on my own or not. We have been full time since June and are loving it. Any suggestions??
Have you looked in the cabinets for the slide lock? You may have access from inside the coach. We have a 2012 Itasca and the slide lock mechanism is in a black box enclosure in the overhead cabinet.

NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

yes I have the box off so I can see the problem, also it seems now that the roof vinyl insulation has soaked up water so problem is getting bigger.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
You also may want to check the slide seal at the top of the slide. Water may go under the 2 seals (coach and slide ) and wick via the foam headliner backing. Fix is to caulk the seals.
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

Winnebago slide leak into cabinets

2012 Tour full wall slide - water standing on slide roof resulted in mildew smell in living room & kitchen cabinets - moisture meter readings as high as 35% on ceiling of cabinets. Winnebago did not fix the problem & we are now at Lazy Days for a fix. Winnebago will not honor structure warranty. Can anybody help?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Resolution?

JBradC...

Did you get a resolution to your leak? Where it was coming from?

Thanks, Scott
Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #7

Slide lock leak repaired

After spending a lot of time I finally decided to cut through the slide awning cover to get to the slide lock. After experimenting with water poured on the lock I was able to find the problems. Winnebago cut the hole in the top of the slide a little to big. The rubber gasket under the flange on the top was not completely covering the opening. Very slight thin area but any water that got on top of the slide would run into the area next to the lock. After sealing this up with silicone I found that water also leaked around the shaft of the lock when it could not drain out the tiny drain hole. In my opinion the design is poor and the installation was poor also. You can not do anything but make sure the drain hole is open and make sure your slide awning does not leak. I replaced the slide awning after this and have been through some very heavy sustained rains with no leaks at all in the last several months.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradC View Post
After spending a lot of time I finally decided to cut through the slide awning cover to get to the slide lock. After experimenting with water poured on the lock I was able to find the problems. Winnebago cut the hole in the top of the slide a little to big. The rubber gasket under the flange on the top was not completely covering the opening. Very slight thin area but any water that got on top of the slide would run into the area next to the lock. After sealing this up with silicone I found that water also leaked around the shaft of the lock when it could not drain out the tiny drain hole. In my opinion the design is poor and the installation was poor also. You can not do anything but make sure the drain hole is open and make sure your slide awning does not leak. I replaced the slide awning after this and have been through some very heavy sustained rains with no leaks at all in the last several months.
Thanks for posting your resolution to the problems. Now I've got 3 more things to check, as I've got 3 of these locks.

Since I sure don't want to cut thru the toppers, do you think I might SEE light from above if I remove the black cover inside the cabinets and look up from under the lock? I want to be sure my "openings" are properly sealed.

FWIW, "generally" I don't get rain blowing up under my slide toppers, so the lock recesses have stayed pretty dry, but I'm going to double check those tiny drains, too. THANKS AGAIN!
Ed
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I cant see cutting thru the slide topper, go to Carefree's web site they have detailed instructions on mounting their slide topper, it's not hard to remove the slide topper lay it over on the roof and then extend the slide and have the slide lock out in the open.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

I was planning to replace the awning anyway so that was why I chose to cut it. The other reason is that the Tour has covers over the awning that are very difficult to remove and replace so I did not want to do that if I did not have to until I knew for sure the leak was fixed. Good luck on your repair effort it is to bad this was designed so poorly. I also had problems with the slide locks not operating at all and was able to solve that problem as they get in a bind when engaging and disengaging them.

Tags
leak, slide, winnebago