Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #1

Winnebago..Tiffin...??

We've been looking for a Winnebago/Itasca 32H since January without much luck. The upside is that with all the research I think I'm much higher up on the food chain with knowledge...the downside being that we still don't have one.

As we live on an island there aren't a lot of dealers and product around. I thought I'd expand our search for other similar quality units within our budget and that brought me to a Tiffin Gas A (32CA or 34TGA).

I'm not seeing a lot of our choices out there in around 2008-2010....

While we do have a preference in floor plan I'd appreciate some input for other manufacturers that are similar to the Winnebago and Tiffin we can look at.

Gas, 34'ish, 22.5 wheels etc

Thanks in advance....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
We've been looking for a Winnebago/Itasca 32H since January without much luck. The upside is that with all the research I think I'm much higher up on the food chain with knowledge...the downside being that we still don't have one.

As we live on an island there aren't a lot of dealers and product around. I thought I'd expand our search for other similar quality units within our budget and that brought me to a Tiffin Gas A (32CA or 34TGA).

I'm not seeing a lot of our choices out there in around 2008-2010....

While we do have a preference in floor plan I'd appreciate some input for other manufacturers that are similar to the Winnebago and Tiffin we can look at.

Gas, 34'ish, 22.5 wheels etc

Thanks in advance....

Hello..
Welcome to the forum..
We have bought 2 class "A"'s in the past 5 years.. We live in the Denver area but have not found our coaches close to home.. First one was in Florida and the most current was in North Carolina in April.
The wider your search area the more choice you will have.. Maybe even the coach you originally wanted.. There are plenty of sites that Dealers and individuals can advertise their coaches.. Shop a lot on line call and talk to the folks and you will find a coach that will fit your needs.. At worst you will take a plane or car ride and look at a coach!
Just my opinion.. But I have scored 2 great coaches this way..
Ron Husak

04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't get hung up on one brand or one floor plan. There are lots of both out there, be patient, you'll find the one for you.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

Understood....sort of trying to figure out what other manufacturers are similar in quality to that of the Winnebago/Itasca Adventurer-Suncruiser and Tiffin Allegro Gas.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
Understood....sort of trying to figure out what other manufacturers are similar in quality to that of the Winnebago/Itasca Adventurer-Suncruiser and Tiffin Allegro Gas.
The only ones I know of that are of similar "quality" level would be the Newmar Canyon Star (NOT the Bay Star) and possibly the Fleetwood "top of their gasser line" Southwind.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

We have a Tiffin Open Road 34TGA and have not had any major problems with it until a 18 wheeler's tire tread hit us on an expressway. After that we had to be towed 2 times and $10-11K but after all of that it seems okay. On the way from MI we had an issue with the lever on passenger side but I had an issue pulling out of a service station and hit dirt and sand in a construction area. After it was cleaned it should be ok. We have had issues with our 2nd insurance on their covering some of the repairs that are in the contract...it is only then and not any other major issues except repairs from traveling basically full time. We have a home but prefer to travel and it is a major issue getting shops to respond in a timely manner.

Tiffin stand behind their products. We went to speak to Mr. Bob Tiffin to just let him know how many good reviews we have had shared. Ask about the gas unit swaying on road from large vehicles passing and he told he would put new shocks and another sway bar on it. After the 18 wheeler incident we had an engine light that no one seemed to know how to solve including Ford. He told us to charge him for an alternator and that would solve the issue and it did!
Great man that has a great reputation...has had to return once after sons took over but sooner or later they will have control and we can just hope for the best as father's reputation.

We are going to upgrade to another Tiffin or Entegra Coach and are shopping now. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The only ones I know of that are of similar "quality" level would be the Newmar Canyon Star (NOT the Bay Star) and possibly the Fleetwood "top of their gasser line" Southwind.
I'd think there would be lots more than those two. 2008 puts you into Pace Arrows and National Dolphins. Triple E Commanders would be at the very top of my list but not likely to find many of those stateside.
I wouldn't sneeze at some of the Holiday Ramblers either.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry, I missed the fact that the OP is looking at used, too. My comments were about today's current models. Ed
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Finding the right coach takes much time and research. We looked at Tiffin, Winnebago, Newmar, Entegra. All great class A's. For us it came down to floor plan and room. Make a list of must have's and nice to have. It is all give and take. We all have different needs and expectations. Only look at coaches within the $ that you want/can spend. After two years, we found our Zephyr that fits our needs. Take your time and keep informed as you are now on this forum. You will find what you are looking for. Then, most of all enjoy!
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Having had both 32' and 35' Adventurers, both on Ford chassis, I would definitely go for the 35'... you gain about 20" in wheelbase which greatly increases the handling and stability and reduces the 'tail wagging the dog' when towing a car. I did not find the slight increase in weight noticeable.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, winnebago