Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #1

Winnebago, Tiffin, or Newmar

i am looking for a 40 ft diesel in the 2005-2007 vintage. I see floor plans I like in all thee models, Winnebago, tiffin(allegro) and newmar. Any thoughts from the group. Seems newmars are more expensive but I don't see much difference for the extra money. Winnebago tells you they service and inventory every part, not sure if this is unique of not. I now have an older Winnebago cause someone told me the cabs were made of steel and safer, is that still the case. I'm sure a lot of this comes down to personal preference but would love to hear some of your opinions. I have also heard of a side radiator being an advantage and I want a cummins engine, do any of these have that and is that a big deal or not? Thank you for your thoughts
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We toured the Winnebago Factory last Summer and their chassis are extruded steel and welded. As far as parts we have had no problem at all with parts for our 02 Journey.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2008 Winnebago Tour 40WD that we bought new and are happy with it. It has a Cummins 400HP engine with a rear radiator. The radiator has not been an issue for me. We like the floor plan. We have not had any major issues with the coach. If I were to buy another coach, I would look at Winnebago again.

The other coaches you mentioned are also good coaches but I do not have any first hand experience with them.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of my rigs have been Winnebago. Had rear and side radiator. No difference for me. The side radiator requires a hydraulic fan which takes HP from the motor I've been told. Rear radiator needs cleaning once a year unless the slobber tube has been relocated.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #5

When I was shopping, I crossed Winnebago off the list when I found out about the windshield frame issue. Dealer admitted it was an issue as well and they have never corrected it even with the new ones. I do like the construction of the Newmar and the R value of the ceiling, walls and floor. I also like the Tiffin Alegro Bus as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Most of my rigs have been Winnebago. Had rear and side radiator. No difference for me. The side radiator requires a hydraulic fan which takes HP from the motor I've been told. Rear radiator needs cleaning once a year unless the slobber tube has been relocated.
Driving the fan directly off the engine takes more HP than the hyd fan takes, plus the fan is running full speed all the time whereas the hyd one can be variable speed.

We've had two Dutch Stars, both bought new, a 2000 and 2002. We traded the '02 off last year and should have bought another one rather than the CC we now have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't want to muddy the waters, but check out the American Coaches for those years.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #8

Whatever I have is the best and everything else is junk!,😎🙈 now that I've got that out of the way. Buy the floor plan that you like best. At any given price point there is not a lot of difference from one brand to the other. You can get a good one or a bad one from any manufacturer. The livability of a coach is more important than the name on the front cap. When you find a floor plan then research that particular model and see if it had any particular issues and if they were resolved.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
My opinion - which is what you are seeking I think. Newmar, Spartan chassis, Cummins engine, try to get an Oasis heating system if you can. Everything else is personal preference, and monetary means. Good luck, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #10

Quincybear, are you planning on having work done on the engine, either by you or a mechanic? If so, seriously consider a side radiator. In addition, make sure that there is full engine access from above. A few newer coaches have a bathroom or closet at the very rear and only a small access hatch. Better is a bed that raises up to expose the entire engine.

I believe that all three brands you are considering use drop-down jacks for leveling. You might want to check out Foretravels and Newells, as they use the air bags for leveling. There are several advantages to that system. I believe there are some other brands, but those were the only two we really looked at.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #11

I think you are looking at three good manufacturers. I have a Newmar and I like the way it is made and how well insulated it is. However, I cannot compare since this is the only coach I have had. I would take factory tours if you can and do a lot of research on the three brands.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Whatever I have is the best and everything else is junk!,😎🙈 now that I've got that out of the way. Buy the floor plan that you like best. At any given price point there is not a lot of difference from one brand to the other. You can get a good one or a bad one from any manufacturer. The livability of a coach is more important than the name on the front cap. When you find a floor plan then research that particular model and see if it had any particular issues and if they were resolved.
I agree with Roger. Buying used will always depend upon how the unit was treated by the previous owner(s). New you have some assurance because of warranty.

Buy what suits you. All have good engines, the appliances are similar from third parties and the construction is done by hourly staff.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #13

The Newmar product line is a good value due to the quality construction and interior workmanship. I am high on the Dutch Star on the value side. I am also a fan of the Spartan chassis and Cummins diesel engines (pre DEF). Since I do my own maintenance a side mounted radiator is a must.

Look for a used coach and buy it from the owner. He/she is the only person that really knows the past maintenance practice.

We bought our 2004 Newmar DSDP 10yrs old w/30K miles. It drives and performs like a new one for around $200 grand less than a new one.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They're all good rigs. I've owned 2 Winnebagos but do love my KStar with the side radiator and Spartan chassis.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, tiffin, newmar