Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Tour entry steps

Steps won't come out when the door is opened. Tech guy says it could be a control board or it could be the motor. Since we're in mid-trip, anyone know how to check what the issue might be?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

Providing you have steps properly lubricated, power to the steps, and cleaned up the ground, you can jumper 12 volts to the motor to see if it works. If it does, check magnetic door switch for proper making/breaking of circuit. If the switch works, that leaves the controller that is faulty.

A search of this forum, or Google will help with how to do this testing. All the best.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelDice View Post
Steps won't come out when the door is opened. Tech guy says it could be a control board or it could be the motor. Since we're in mid-trip, anyone know how to check what the issue might be?

Tech guy should have went to kwikee web site to diagnose problem properly.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelDice View Post

Same thing happened to me. Our issue was a faulty relay. Open the door and 6"-12" from the bottom there is a plug that needs to be removed. Then pull out the wires and splice them together.

It was a permanent fix and Winnebago approved this fix as I called them prior to help me trouble-shoot the issue. They said there are a couple of those sensors and they are not sure why.

It's been a little over a year and all is still good.

Good luck
Old 09-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

There are several recent threads about the Kwikee steps and related problems, I started one myself a few months ago.
To start, download the Kwikee steps installation and troubleshooting document. Easy to read and follow.
Check the ground wires, should be 2, by removing, cleaning connections, and reinstalling.
Remove and clean the electrical connections underneath, they are exposed to all kinds of weather and dirt, and apply a small amount of dialectic grease.
Clean by scuffing up the door contacts to make sure there is a good electrical connection.
With a trouble light or multimeter, follow the troubleshooting guides to isolate what does and doesn't work.

My problem turned out to be the motor which cost around $50 and about an hour's time to replace. No special tools required.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2012 journey does this occasionally, steps stuck in.
all electrical trouble shooting passes. The motor or steps just jam.

I remove the 3 screws holding the motor in place, then cycle the step motor by opening and closing the door, then re-install the motor. It happens about every other year.

Tags
steps, winnebago