Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 03:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Vista - To cover or not?

We have a 2014 Vista 27N. The manual states that Winnebago does not recommend using a cover on the RV for storage. Having just read the article in Motorhome Magazine about RV covers, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake by not covering our RV. To be specific, covering protects the RV and saves me money. However, if the cover causes damage, then what? I'm not sure what damage could be caused by covering the RV.

Additional info: the RV is stored next to our house. It is shaded and receives about two hours of sunlight during the day.

As always, I look forward to your responses and suggestions.

Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

Tracus,

Covering the RV with a cloth or canvas cover can cause rubbing of the fiberglass or metal parts when the wind blows. The if the cover leaks it can cause mildew and all sorts of bad stuff.

I would have a RV shed installed so you can park under it and keep the Rv out of hail, rain, snow, blowing leaves, etc. For your Vista that shouldn't cost more than $1200 bucks.

I put a shed over my 40' MH and glad I did. It has saved my roof and all my roof vent covers from severe hail damage. It also keeps the sunlight off and that helps stop fadding and other things on the roof and fiberglass.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Pros and cons. My coach has partial shade, yet I have a cover. But, I think a consideration is also climate.

Here in eastern WA we have a pretty dry climate; something like 330 days of sunshine. I have part of my coach getting the morning sun. I can see the difference between that and areas that don't get sun except when traveling if I leave it uncovered all summer (thinking we're gonna just go and go; then life gets in the way of living.) I wash regularly, polish as needed, and wax a lot (relaxing).

I have partial body paint. I have no ill effects of the cover on my finish. On the other hand, my paint and decals look like new even 10+ years since bought.

I can also see adequate ventilation being a thing to be concerned about in an area with lots of rain and humidity.

They do make covers out there geared toward different types of conditions.

I intend to continue covering. Maybe chat with folks on your travels and be able to see coaches first hand in conjunction with owner discussion. I don't see the first year being that critical as you consider your options.

However - what is your roof material? Is your coach exposed to regular sun on the roof? More than a few AC covers and vent covers get replaced proactively because they can and will deteriorate regularly.

This pic last month, getting ready to pull out. No marring in the paint, and bold sharp graphics. (UV kills graphics)

This is the side that gets the sun, but like I said, it gets covered........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	108037  
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #4

I would also be concerned if parking on grass, dirt or gravel. The moisture that come from below can do a lot of damage. One other thing to consider.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

I believe that the biggest "negative" would be the possible build up of moisture causing MOLD growth, both inside and between the paint and the fabric covering. Mold can do far more damage than fabric rubbing on the painted surfaces and mold will do it far quicker.

Mold can be very malicious. There are molds that can even eat (etch) glass.

You can put a dehumidifier inside to keep moisture down but you have little power over the moisture caught between the covering and the outside of the coach.

If you live in arid places like New Mexico or Arizona - cover it with confidence.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
We have a 2014 Vista 27N. The manual states that Winnebago does not recommend using a cover on the RV for storage. Having just read the article in Motorhome Magazine about RV covers, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake by not covering our RV. To be specific, covering protects the RV and saves me money. However, if the cover causes damage, then what? I'm not sure what damage could be caused by covering the RV.

Additional info: the RV is stored next to our house. It is shaded and receives about two hours of sunlight during the day.

As always, I look forward to your responses and suggestions.

Chris

FYI, Motorhome Magazine is put out by Camping World who also sells motorhome covers.....

I would not use a cover for the reasons cited above, however a roof above the motorhome is very much reccomended.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Winnebago selling Winnebago branded covers now

Winnebago is now selling branded covers, they announced it at the 2015 WIT conference this summer. So I suspect they have changed their mind about not recommending covers for their products, since they now make money on some that are made specifically for their products that have their brand logo on them.

Keeping sun off your RV in some way when long term parked will help keep it looking new longer, unless it has full body paint then I don't know that it would make much difference.

Another thought is to move it while in long term storage so that you switch the side facing the sun every so often. This will also be good for the chassis and tires.

Also if no cover then tire covers to prevent long term UV exposure damage to the tires.

Regards,

Randy
2015 Vista 27N

Tags
winnebago