Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Winni or Fleetwood

Hello all... may not be the place but, I have an opportunity for a Fleetwood Discovery with 4 slides and a 350 Cat and 15,000 miles stored inside vs the Winni Vectra at 25,000 mi but 400HP Cummins, both 40'. I will be towing a race trailer @ close to 10K Lbs. Both are '05 and very well optioned on Freightliner chassis... Thoughts, Comments?
Hoping your holidays were great..
Thanks,
Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Which one has the better floorplan for your purpose? Short of that, I would go for the larger engine, as it will tow a heavier trailer better.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are you in a hurry to get to the track? My Cummins 400 ISL gets my race car trailer up the hills real well.

Never been a fan of anything made by Fleetwood.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Again, your back at what floor plan that fits you the best. Listening to posts who aren't "fans" of this model or that unless they owned an 05' Discovery and an 05' HR which I doubt you'll find here is just junk talk. The difference between the CAT and and the Cummins in HP is relativley small and can't be compared until you compare the weight of the MH plus what their towing. Sounds like the Discovery was well taken care of and that has to be to taken to the plus side of the equation as well. I think you'll do well with either one....good luck!!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Floor plan? amenities? Price? Both are fine brands with faithful followers and good reputations.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Anxious moments to be sure... I think I am leaning to the Vectra (and wife likes the light green-ish) color with the IFS although the Fleetwood was in nice shape... both were really clean. Looking for best resale value as I intend to trade out in about 3 years once I get my feet wet. By then, the '05s will be old news it looks like so not sure where the market will be. I'd have to think that, with the economic bust of '07/08 there would have been a dry period in sales and resale units might be "less" available and therefore holding the '05s out there just a "little" longer... Wishful thinking maybe.

Greg
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fleetwood and Winne are both good rigs, my suggestion is go with the Cummings, cheaper to work on and, according to my mechanic, will last longer.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As others have said, both are good coaches. My suggestion is to go with what the wife likes...you'll be happier (& so will she).

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
As others have said, both are good coaches. My suggestion is to go with what the wife likes...you'll be happier (& so will she).

Lori-
Truer words have not been spoken. If your partner likes one more than the other go with her opinion. You will then use it more if your partner is happy. As far as CAT or Cummins, it's like splitting hairs. In either choice, I would still vote for the larger displacement engine. A 10K trailer is an awful lot of drag. I went from a 3K toad to a 5K toad, and boy do you feel the extra weight. I am not saying it's not doable, but you are gonna be up there. Additionally, Make sure you don't exceed the GVCWR.

Tags
fleetwood