Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Winter Adco (type) cover

Wel it's getting to be that time again: winter storage. Earlier this year we upgraded to a 2008 Dutchstar. I currently don't have a cover for it. It has full body paint. I would really like to cover it for the winter, but it's not in the budget to put an actual roof over the motorhome. So I'm considering an Adco type cover. But my concern is it will chafe the paint off on the corners or elsewhere. Has anyone else with full body paint used a canvas cover successfully? I really want to protect the roof etc.

Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
CnG

Winter Covers

I do not have a Newmar, but do have full body paint. I have never had a problem with scratching the paint. The biggest problem with the covers is tearing. I found that after a couple of years the corners, the awning or other areas that have sharp edges catch the material and start holes. I did have one replaced that had an extended warranty so get the longest guarantee that you can find, or you will replace the cover every 2 to 3 years.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would think canvas would be a much rougher fabric than what ADCO uses. We covered ours for 3 winters before we built the RV port. Photos of it after the 1st year can be found in my albums. A cover is better than nothing, but no matter how well you try to account for sharp/pointy projections underneath, something will poke a hole in it.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Deucenut".....Luckily, we don't have to winterize or worry about snow. I've always thought that if I did live in a snow area and couldn't get my coach under a hard cover, a motor home canvas cover would be the next best thing.

I've used a very high end cover on my previous coach and fond no issues with scratching or wear, as long as they are tied down. I liked the cover, but we used our coach too much to take it on and off every few weeks (not your issue).

In your situation, I would get an Adco cover and cover it, making sure it's tied down well. Maybe some others who have covered their coaches in the snow will add info on dehumidifiers and leaving vents open for breathing. If you do get a cover, get several tennis balls and cut slits in them. They're good for sharp corners and antennas.

Even of the cover only lasts one season, I think $350-$400 for a cover is cheap insurance and saves wear and tear on the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I agree Don, it is cheap insurance. I wasn't too concerned with a hole being poked as it is only for this year(I hope). You mentioned a high end cover. Which one did you use?.

But my main concern is chafing the paint. Anyone had that happen?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My neighbor uses the standard Adco cover and doesn't cause any issues, but is only good for about 2-3 years in California. Years ago, I bought the Adco high end cover, they were actually sewing them about 15 miles from my house. It was over $1000.00 and used the heavy duck cloth that some boat covers are made from. It's weight was part of the issue with not using it.

I think you'll be fine with the standard Adco cover. If I recall, Camping World usually puts them on sale in October or November.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #7

I have an ADCO cover for my Full Body Paint motorhome. Used it on the last motorhome (not full body paint) with no issues. This one is 1ft taller and I had a 2 spots at the bottom of the baggage doors where the zippers caused some scratches. Will be looking at this in detail before covering it this fall. I use a roof cover in the Summer to keep the roof clean. Considering just keeping that on for the winter. Not sure the full body paint will fade like the decals on the last one did, so maybe the full cover will not buy me much.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Deucenut: I've sent you an email. Ed
Old 09-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Deucenut: I've sent you an email. Ed
Hi Ed,

I've had trouble with emails lately. The site keeps telling me they've disabled emails. Can you PM me instead? Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
PM sent. Ef

Tags
cover, winter