Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #1

Winter (anti-gel) additives for summer diesel

Time to worry about diesel during winter storage. I live in Minneapolis, and recently a few nights have been starting to push 32 degrees. I have about a half-tank of diesel (50 gal out of 100) left over from warmer weather that is going to need to carry through during storage. I do know that once the pumps carry the winter mix I will top up the tank with that ... but in the meantime, I have two questions:

First: at what temperatures should I start worrying about gelling, and thus when should I add anti-gelling additive to the existing fuel in the tank??

Second: what additive (for summer fuel) do you recommend as the best for protection against gelling??

Thanks, as always, for sharing your experience!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When we purchased our 2004 Newmar DSDP I had the same question in mind due to the widely fluctuating temperatures from October to March, sometimes as low a 0 F. & even lower.
I went to a local truck repair centre & they recommended a additive, only to be used if temperatures fall below 15 F. that they sell & is also sold at Flying J's.
Sorry, I can't remember the name but it comes in a big yellow jug. One jug treats a whole tank of fuel which I add it to a full tank in the fall & the unit usually sits from early December to the end of February.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Summer blend diesel will not start to gel until the temps are -10F. That is actual temperature not wind chill. The only thing that is affected by wind chill factors is living tissue
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Summer blend diesel will not start to gel until the temps are -10F. That is actual temperature not wind chill. The only thing that is affected by wind chill factors is living tissue
Wind will cool a non living object off sooner though, but only living tissue is subject to the wind chill factor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wind will cool a non living object off sooner though, but only living tissue is subject to the wind chill factor.
The time it takes an object to cool off is a moot point. The fact is that when a wind chill factor is reported, it does not affect the gel point of diesel. If the temp is reported as 0 degrees and the wind chill is -20 or -30, it doesn't make any difference. The temp of the fuel is still 0 degrees.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The time it takes an object to cool off is a moot point. The fact is that when a wind chill factor is reported, it does not affect the gel point of diesel. If the temp is reported as 0 degrees and the wind chill is -20 or -30, it doesn't make any difference. The temp of the fuel is still 0 degrees.
Please reread my post. I never said it made a difference in the fuel temp, just that it will cool off quicker
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

Please folks - from where I sit I think we are in violent agreement with each other

Thanks for the input: looks like I have a little while to go before I need to worry about gelling
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My thinking is that gelling is not a problem during the winter if the engine is not going to be started. If it gels, won't it "ungel" when it warms up in the spring? I've had a diesel gel and pulled into a warm shop and after some time it started and ran fine. Is there anything wrong with my thinking?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Slapfoot .. Nothing wrong with your thinking ...I used to do the same, that is let it sit with 'summer' fuel all winter. When spring came and I was ready to use the RV , the fuel would be ready too.. That having been said , when I plan on using the RV in the winter I take a belt and suspender approach .. I buy fuel as late in year as is practical..Add enough undyed kerosene to make a 25% blend. Add 2 Qts of antigel. and go south..
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

Howe's lubricater is all you need. Howe's will keep fuel from gelling and also will prevent algea formation in the fuel as wel as the lines and filters
Old 10-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #11

Is the same bottle of antigel good for 2 seasons or do you need to purchase every year?
bill2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #12

A couple questions as follow-up:

1) is the Howes additive available at standard auto supply stores (like AutoZone) or do I need to trek to my nearest friendly truck stop??

2) just what is the **downside** of using additives like this (expense? potential damage to the engine fuel system components?, long term degredation?? etc?). I guess another way of asking this is why isn't diesel #2 just available year-round (expense perhaps??).
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Diesel #2 is available year round ..Up in the colder climes #2 is mixed with kerosene to make a 'winter blend' . The colder it gets the more kero is added. This help to prevent gelling. This is done at the fuel depot not the truck stop. Kerosene is equivalent to #1 diesel fuel. You may find truckstops in northern areas of cold states that sell #1 diesel.
most truckstops rely on a winter blend which is adjusted as temperatures dictate. You may find a name brand anti gel at your local auto parts store or you may have to trek to a truck parts place or truckstop. In my opinion there is no downside to using a anti gel when needed other than cost . there may be a big upside if it can prevent fuel gelling.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #14

Sorry - I guess I got confused between which is #1 vs. #2. If I understand you correctly, #2 is "standard" diesel, and #1 is kerosene, used for extreme cold conditions???? (somehow I thought it was the other way around. :-(.

Tags
diesel