Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
elp

Winter Camping

I have a 2004 Thor Hurricane Class A. We usually go South for the Winter. This year I will spend Thanksgiving in Kansas. I am from Kansas so I know the chances are fairly high that we could have some clod weather. I have never camped in cold weather before. I need to know if I should winterize my motor home and use a jug of water, or is it safe to just have the furnace on while it is cold. Will the furnace keep the pipes from freezing? I can leave antifreeze in the black water and gray water tanks and they should be OK. Right? Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #2

Depends. How much below freezing and how long. If it is a few nights an auxiliary heater in the basement and using the furnace so it also heats the basement. All you have to do is keep the basement above freezing. If you are dancing around freezing nights and warmer days that is not too hard. If you are looking at single digit nights it's a different issue. I'd close everything up and dry camp with some judicious tape and some board foam to add cut air leaks and increase insulation in the bottom around the water areas. I'd also use vent pillows and some reflectix in the windows. Might even figure out how to hang a fleece blanket behind the windshield all the way to the floor.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

For one Holiday period I would not go to much trouble.
Parking the rig well South of the November frost line, driving the toad to Kansas and getting a motel of staying relatives would be less risk and hassle, for sure.
Take it easy and have a happy, worry-free Holiday!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Dave has provided some really sage advice.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
elp

We had originally talked about doing what you said Dave. Then we started thinking about just taking the RV. I think you are right. We may just go back to plan A. Park in TX and drive the toad to KS.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Dave has provided some really sage advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp View Post
We had originally talked about doing what you said Dave. Then we started thinking about just taking the RV. I think you are right. We may just go back to plan A. Park in TX and drive the toad to KS.

You are welcome! BTDT, ya know?
May the Journey be Your Destination.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter