Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Winter cover or not?

I want to cover my class A through the snowy winter months from November to March but some people tell me I have to start up and move the rig at least once a month or it will seize up. With the snow I won't be able to remove the cover. Is this true? Any advise?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3398 View Post
I want to cover my class A through the snowy winter months from November to March but some people tell me I have to start up and move the rig at least once a month or it will seize up. With the snow I won't be able to remove the cover. Is this true? Any advise?
Never heard of that just make sure you put in fuel stabilizer run motor for a while so it get in the line's maybe take out battery's so they don't freeze squirt mistery oil in cylinder cycle motor so it loobs cylinder walls and cover it. that's what I do to my boat.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Prior to building our RV port, we covered & never moved our coach from Nov-Apr. So long as you have gas stabilizer in the engines (coach & generator) you will have no problems.

I know many members here start & exercise their coach/generator monthly during winter storage, but we've never done it. I prefer not to introduce any possibility of condensation in the system by leaving it alone (except for checking the batteries as we do keep it plugged in) for the entire storage period.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Haven't been doing this a long time, but got a cover, used fuel stabilizer, have had no issues. I don't start it during the winter, but do have it plugged in. I'm in Maryland so we do get plenty of below freezing weeks. Tiffin says a fully charged battery won't freeze, and that's certainly been my experience.

My cover, an Adco brand, has zippers that let me enter the coach fairly easily. I do go in and check things periodically and check the battery charge and i do check the battery water levels before covering for the winter.

I have a gas coach. My friend has a diesel which he would start every few weeks and run for a 15 - 30 min. When he took it out to start his trip to Arizona, he had an issue with volumes of white smoke and no power for a while. I think it was condensation from warming the engine up a lot but never reaching sustained operating temps. It cleared and he had no more problems, but I don't run my motor for that reason until I'm ready to drive
Old 09-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Gibby, ok. Where are you at, Nome, AK. Gas and diesel engines go years without seizing up over winters. Things you have to worry about are the water/waste lines in the RV. Look up winterizing the RV on the net. Lots of tips on here, very good advice,but the search function sucks. Easier to look up on the internet. Opinion, most reviews on RV covers are that they don't last more than one year. ADCO etc are a rip off. Better to get a large, serious multi ply tarp and tie it down once you winterize your RV
Old 09-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My adco has been through three rainy winters in Oregon. going to use it again this year. The old timers say a tarp will trap in moisture and cause problems.
My opinion is worth what you paid for it, maybe less.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #7

I use a ADCO cover for rainy winters in Oregon. It works great.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
No cover for me - the winter wind whips the material and can cause chaffing/rubbing on the finish. I cover the air conditioners with covers and leave the rest of the unit uncovered. Winterize, remove batteries if not plugged in, and wash in the spring with dawn liquid detergent on roof, and a good car wash soap on sides.

I do not start or move the rig in the winter months, nor add stabilizer to fuel. Cold weather does not weather gasoline.

My thoughts,
Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never used one on any rig I've ever owned since I started RV'ing in 1968 on my own. Neither did my parents before that (1958). Every one has been stored outside too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

Don, I sit corrected. Life of the Adco covers does reflect the UV exposure as well as other environmental factors. Anyone buying them should read Amazon reviews and reports, since they are a fairly large body of data. I have maybe a biased feeling about Camping World reviews. That said we have received good service with the Adco tire covers we have, and I know of houses with tyvec covers that will last two or three years more before the rot is apparent in the fiberboard.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Good advise. Thank you all

Tags
winter