Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Winter in park

How do you camp in the winter ? how do you keep water and sewer line from freezing

jcbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
You fill your on board water tank and then put away the hose. You dump your holding tanks and then put away the hose

dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
In addition, you can put a remote thermometer in the wet bay to monitor temps. A light bulb or two can also help keep tanks above freezing. If you use electric heaters to add to heat in RV, remember the furnace usually has a duct into the wet bay to keep things warm. If you use too much electric heat you could have freezing problems. Big issue is build up of moisture inside RV. Keep a window or roof vent cracked open to allow moisture out. Big damage can happen from condensation to wall panels, ceiling, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
We don't keep the water or sewer hoses connected, but then again, I don't keep the sewer hose connected even in the summer. Just me I guess, I don't like the looks of it running out from under the coach.

Fill up with water then disconnect your water hose and use your pump/fresh water holding tank for water supply. Keep some heat in the storage/water tank bay or you will have issues.

We used all of our coaches for snowmobiling up until two years ago when we sold our sleds and got out of snowmobiling. On our first motorhome we didn't run water in the domestic system and only used it for weekend snowmobile outings. On our last coach we ran full fresh water system and we only froze up once in the seven years we had it.

Our current coach has Aqua-Hot and have had it in temps well down into the single digits without freezing up.

These trips also were not generally in campgrounds, most were boondocking on the side of the mountain. We did an annual trip or two to West Yellowstone/Island Park area where we had the luxury of being plugged in but it was not the norm for our winter camping.

Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by jcbinky View Post
How do you camp in the winter ? how do you keep water and sewer line from freezing
Start the engine and go south. LOL (Sorry, I was thinking someone else would have already said that.)

I am a weather watcher and anticipate when I plan to unhook water hoses when freezing temps might arrive. I'm not so concerned about the sewer hose and concentrate on the fresh water hose.

As mentioned, use of the furnace helps keep the basement warm and in my case I have a duct with a powered fan that directs some of the furnace output directly into the water bay. Even with that I think I may run a 40W bulb in the bay 24/7 when it starts to get really cold. We also have heating pads for the tanks themselves so that should be fine.

We ran a test a few weeks ago and did a total water and sewer disconnect. With our normal use that includes a stacked washer/dryer we found we could easily fill the grey tank in 4-5 days and sometimes in only 3 days. I really depended on how often we did laundry and what cycles we used. Without the W/D I think we could have easily gone 10 days on the grey tank. The black tank always goes 10 days easily but we are working (When not on furlough. LOL) and have access to work "facilities" to reduce black tank usage.

In preparation for cold weather I did set up quick connects at all points of my water hose system. I don't think it would be fun screwing and unscrewing hose connections in the cold.

2 things we will need to do (or at least consider) are:

1. Remove the extra whole house filter we have outside the coach. We are looking at replacing the coach mounted single filter with a dual filter in the protected water bay.

2. In extremely cold temps shut off and drain the ice maker hose. It is exposed to cold temps with little protection.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are camping for a few months in Northern Oklahoma. The MH next to me has been here for a year and a half on a job assignment. He has heat tape and insulation running around his water hose. For people that are doing a lot of winter camping you can get a water hose with a heat tape built into it. My neighbor took a piece of 6 inches flexible HVAC duct and ran his drain hose through that. he then taped that tight around the septic connection. I was chatting with him after I moved in and he has not had any problems with freezing. When I have gone camping in the winter time I have done what others have suggested and just filled up the fresh water tank and disconnected the hose. Because I am going to be here without moving for a while I am going to do something similar to my neighbor. I also am going to get a small electric heater and put it in the wet bay area. I can get an extension cord with a ground fault interrupter built into it that will take care of the safety aspect. I am going to plug that into the pedestal outside of my coach. I am on a montly pay rate and have a meter so I can pay my own electric usage.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
We haven't considered this while winter camping at Key West. Should I be worried?
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7, Cat C7 and Allison 6 spd
Honda VTX and Crusier Lift on the back
Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy, 2014 Chevy Equinox toad
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unhook the water hose and stinky slinky and point the nose south to where it is not freezing.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
We were just out in Wyoming and Montana and the campgrounds required that water hoses be disconnected every night by 8 pm to prevent freezing of their hydrants. The lever operated water hydrants usually drain water from the pipe exposed above the ground so they can't freeze --- unless you leave them on with a hose attached. In one campground it clearly said if you were caught still hooked up, you would be asked to leave immediately!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote