RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #1

Winter, Montana bad idea?

After a few years w/o a RV I am finally (financially) ready to purchase one. I am going on a winter ski trip (February) to Big Sky, Montana. Last year we drove to Park City, UT and drove in my girlfriends SUV, this year we are debating on getting a RV. A used 2005-2009 DP

Any opinions be it good or bad about making such a trip in February? We would have 2-3 weeks to spend leaving Ohio. We would be spending time at BigSky & Jackson Hole then possibly head to Steamboat before turning home.

Any thoughts on if it’s to much of a risk, not just driving that time of year out west but also having issues with pipes freezing?

NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

Many folks do it. The secret is planning and preventing freeze damage. Our friends spent last winter ski resort hopping all winter.

Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

Terrible idea, you don't want to drive a coach on ice. Sliding off the road can easily total it. And the salt and rock damage is also very bad. I live there. You never see dp around after first snow. And if you do get a real cold snap of 30 below your not going to ski, and your not going to keep that thing unfroze. I want to add, when you look at Montana winter high temps for the day, that's for 6 minutes at 2:30 in the afternoon so to speak. It doesn't warm up at 10 and stay warm until late afternoon like down south. You will like the weather for skiing if it's a normal winter.
Lot's of sunshine but cold enough to keep the powder. Big sky is a little colder than Bozeman, I think Jackson hole is much colder. Big Sky is not a good deal on lift tickets and it's a 45 minute drive from Bozeman. West Yellowstone is about the same drive time from it. Belgrade is about 10 minutes closer and more of a working mans town. Hotels should be much cheaper there.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Very doable, but most in NW winterize units from Nov-March as the cold weather, crap on the roads make things difficult. Good luck with your decision. 🕶
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #5

No way !! Why would you risk a potentially really bad experience—on your first trip— with your new coach. New coach to you is code for “I’ll need to work some issues out” and why do that on a winter trip. Jackson Hole is very cold, Steamboat you will need to go over Rabbit Ears Pass then depending how you go East you’ll encounter Berthoud Pass or Eisenhower Tunnel. If it were me I’d be planning on a Spring/Summer trip with the bus. Congrats on getting back in to it. Got back from Alaska two summers ago a loved it. Can’t wait to go back- (not in the winter ha ha) have fun
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your opinions...!!! a lot of what’s stated has been going through my mind, a cold spell, caught in a bad storm, other people do it etc have been going through my mind. Our days at BigSky we wouldn’t even be staying in the coach, meeting people and staying somewhere which is yet to be determined, hopefully ski in/out.

The few times I have gone to Colorado skiing it seems like there are always a bunch at TigerRunResort, however possibly their weather is quite a bit warmer vs Montana. Being from Ohio.... only a unedumakated guess

Yes we are talking about going west over the summer and also Alaska, just not sure when yet.

First trip will not be a big trip, I also do not want to be in a rush getting a coach, been looking for a while.... not taking a RV west this winter will give me a bit more time to find the right coach
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #7

I've lived there through 19 entire winters, I can count the class a's I've seen on the road after 1st snow on 2 fingers. Wise decision.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The average temperature for Big Sky in February 2019 was 9 degrees with a low of -20 according to Weather Underground.

I wouldn't do it.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:19 AM   #9

Maybe if I parked way down at the base of the mountain and drove the toad up every morning.

But no way would I drive the RV up the hill to most of those places in the winter.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Good choice
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #11

No way I'd do that trip.

Plus Colorado (and maybe other states) have traction laws.
Sylphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Even if you make it there, being from OH, I would think you know what salt is going to do to a MH that is not protected as well as modern cars...think a 60s car driven in salt.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #13

Just for people that don't know about this trooper that helped save a lot of lives that day. This is what happened in Montana a while back. I know it's not motorhome related.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ot/3183020002/

Ken...............

91 Metro Convertible and 92 Suzuki Swift GT toads
givemeaboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #14

The only motor homes you see on the road in Montana after the first snowfall are the ones from Canada on I-15 that are getting a late start heading south......

Tags
montana, winter