Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Winter prep

have lived and travelled full time in our Class A for 9 years, always heading to the southern U.S. For the winter. This year we will be staying in Ontario and placing our motorhome in storage. We have found indoor, heated storage so will not have to winterize rig, but am unsure of how to prepare for storage. What do we do about batteries? Inverter? Generator? Appreciate any help you can give us. Happy travels. Verne

shamrock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Everyone's got his own way, and reasons. Mine are below, in no particular order.

Stay warm!

1) Plumbing- Despite heated storage, I winterized with anti-freeze anyway. I wanted to be sure that if the facility's heat went out our coach's plumbing wouldn't suffer. "Belts and suspenders," I know.

2) Batteries- House batteries stayed home with me. Disconnected coach battery once parked at facility.

3) Gas tank- Added Sta-Bil to match current tank level. Ran generator. Filled tank on the way to storage. Added Sta-Bil as needed.

4) Generator- With Sta-Bil in gas tank, ran generator for one hour under load (normal monthly maintenance).

5) Refrigerator- Cleaned. Propped doors open once at facility.

6) Compartments- Emptied. Every compartment, inside or out, got a "Bounce" dryer sheet to keep rodents away.

7) Cover- We stored in a former mill building. Dislodged dirt or occasional bird "visit" could not be ruled out. The facility staff covered the coach after I left it there.

8) Inverter- Didn't have one.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
+1 on what Mark said, and would add to make sure your house batteries are fully 100% charged before taking them off line. They will gradually discharge when in storage, even disconnected. If the indoor storage offers 15 amp hook up, you can leave your charger "on" and you won't have to disconnect the batteries.

You will still want to go and check up on your rig every couple of weeks.
Bob & Joan Alexander, 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2013 Jeep Wrangler (toad)
Lobo & Juniper (woof, woof)
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
You do not say what type of RV you have.
Does it have Aquahot? This requires winterizing also.
A big part of taking the water out of the system is to
get rid of the minerals. Valves get stuck, etc with calcium.
Make sure you also do the outside shower and all the drain valves.

Make sure you have thoroughly flushed and cleaned your black and
grey tanks. Dump antifreeze down the sink, toilet, shower, bathroom
sink, this will keeps some in the traps. I put a gallon down the toilet just to keep the bottom of the black tank wet and into the valve assembly.

You can put a battery minder on your system or just shut them off.

As mentioned.......power can go out and you are in the part of the country where
it does freeze.

You can also put condensation baskets on the floor to prevent moisture buildup.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Mark nailed it. I would add three items:

1) make sure LP gas is turned off on the tank.

2) dump a cup of RV antifreeze in all sinks, toilets, showers, washer drain, etc. Then put a tablespoon of vegetable cooking oil into all the drains. This will prevent the antifreeze from evaporating and opening your gray and black tanks to atmosphere.

3) After you park it, sprinkle some "ant-killer" powder on the floor, all the way around the tires. i.e. if critters want to get inside, they need to walk through the ant powder before they climb up on the tires to get inside
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote