Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Winter RV Camping in Ontario, Help!

Hello all,

I am picking up a new 2016 Georgetown 364TS with Arctic pack this week. I was looking online for summer booking dates and, low and behold, I found winter RV camping in Ontario!

I have plenty of camping experience but only in a trailer. This would be my first motorhome AND winter camping experience so my question is:

Have any of you done this in Ontario? If so, where would you recommend going for a short weekend as close to Quebec as possible? I don't necessarily need hookups but would like electricity if possible and plenty to see snowshoeing.

From a technical perspective what should I be aware of?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Key West - sorry couldn't resist that. There will be a number of other things beyond keeping the tanks warm. We stopped in North Carolina last year and got caught be an ice storm. Frozen water coming into the coach. Questionable emptying of holding tanks, etc. The furnace in the 364 will probably keep you warm.

Gotta say, it is a LOT of work to keep everything working. Thus my Key West comment.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I vote for Key West also.

Never camped in extreme winter conditions but did move to Upper Michigan in late Mar 2011, so close enough. I did not have the artic package. I had 1 20 amp plug for the coach for a small electric heater and another to the basement to run a small ceramic heater.

Check the recommended temp ratings that your coach is good for and I'd avoid colder temps then those. Invest in a remote temp sensor for the basement to keep track of the temperatures. Make sure you are full with propane whenever you go out. Make sure you can start your generator and keep it maintained.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Hey, ADVENTURE is what RVing is all about. Things to consider:

You have a brand new vehicle. Problems often happen early on. Have a good back-up plan just in case. (Someone to come and rescue you if it's a big problem).

I would leave the complete water system winterized. No worry about freezups. Carry enough water in bottles and cans for all your needs. Use a portable chemical toilet or the trusty old bag and bucket.

Carry at least one good set of jumper cables (two would be better) and always park in such a way that a car can get close to your batteries if a jump is needed.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Personally I would advice again it, unless you are very mechanically incline and a good trouble shooting all around RV. New Rig are not trouble free by a long shot, I would stay close to the dealer if I was you. Try camping in your own driveway for two week and see what bugs will be coming up and also drive it around town for a bit before venturing out to far. Tell you why I know this, I own and operated a Truck & Trailer shop for 22 years and also do Motor Home maintenance and repair, mainly DP. I'm semi retired now but still do maintenance and repair on DP. Three of my RV friend have purchase new MH and I spend more time working on them Rig that I do working on my 98 DP. Most people that I have talk to that purchase new Rig spent most of the first year at Dealer doing warranty repair, and they only use it in the Summer months, and your plan it to use it winter months in our cool climate where it twice as hard on the Rig that was not build for that purpose. Sure the Manufacture claim it have Arctic package, but still the same build unit with a bit more insulation and a bit bigger furnaces that I personally would not like to run 24/7. Bottom line for me is this! it you would had this unit for a few years and had all the bugs out and you would know your Rig from Bumper to Bumper sure why not. At that point you would know what you would be up again. But then again if your looking for a adventure that would be one. Good Luck and if you go thought with it, let us know how you make out.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
Personally I would advice again it, unless you are very mechanically incline and a good trouble shooting all around RV. New Rig are not trouble free by a long shot, I would stay close to the dealer if I was you. Try camping in your own driveway for two week and see what bugs will be coming up and also drive it around town for a bit before venturing out to far. Tell you why I know this, I own and operated a Truck & Trailer shop for 22 years and also do Motor Home maintenance and repair, mainly DP. I'm semi retired now but still do maintenance and repair on DP. Three of my RV friend have purchase new MH and I spend more time working on them Rig that I do working on my 98 DP. Most people that I have talk to that purchase new Rig spent most of the first year at Dealer doing warranty repair, and they only use it in the Summer months, and your plan it to use it winter months in our cool climate where it twice as hard on the Rig that was not build for that purpose. Sure the Manufacture claim it have Arctic package, but still the same build unit with a bit more insulation and a bit bigger furnaces that I personally would not like to run 24/7. Bottom line for me is this! it you would had this unit for a few years and had all the bugs out and you would know your Rig from Bumper to Bumper sure why not. At that point you would know what you would be up again. But then again if your looking for a adventure that would be one. Good Luck and if you go thought with it, let us know how you make out.
Good advice that I should heed, but I want the adventure! Yes I am mechanically inclined, done a a few engine jobs, rebuilt a turbo, that kind of stuff, nothing really major.

They advertise the rig as 4 season capable with the arctic pack and I definitely want to dewinterize to have all the creature comforts. I was planning to blow out the line rather than do the fluid thing. Bad idea?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know of any places (eastern Ontario) that are open for winter RVing.

Algonquin park advertises winter RVing and hookups
"Mew Lake Campground has winter camping campsites, RV hookups "

Mcgregor Point, in Port Elgin advertises the same.

Don't know of any others and I would phone first to ensure they can accommodate you.

Most other winter campground expect you to stay in a cabin or yurt.

I did enough winter "camping" in the army and have no desire to do it now, even in a MH

HTH

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Also just found the following blog on winter RVing, some good tips.
E.g. never thought about the wheels freezing in, thought that would only be the jacks.

Spending a Winter in an RV in a Winterized Campground

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I don't use the RV Anitfreeze when I winterize our coach, I blow the lines and have never had a problem. I would hate to do this in the extreme cold but I guess it could be done.

I would advise you to take a look at your rig and see how hard it would be to used compressed air. My Class C was easier to winterize then my Class A, it now takes me about 1 hour to make sure everything is drained.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

You are all correct. Was just excited about using my coach at least once before putting it away.

Plan is scrapped.

Thank you for all the advice!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I knew someone a few years that full times his DP in Ontario winters , he had bought it new and yes things did freeze up mostly the lines for fresh water and sewage lines coming out of the RV but its when we would hit a cold spell going down below -20 -30 C deg. outside and windy .He wasn't in a park I believe it was a on cement pad he poured on a family farm with the hookups right to the MH
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I have a Georgetown with the arctic pac and it quite well insulated. We have never camped in real cold weather I'M to much of wimp. We are in Florida right now and have had some cold nights and were comfortable. We left Ontario on January 8 and it was very cold. I don't put any water in the tank until I can do it with out freezing my but off. Two things I have learned is the valve for the ice maker is expensive to replace. The second one is that if you blow out your pipes the that you have to also make sure that there is no water in the pump and the filter in the line to the pump. I do not have power in the lot where I store our coach so I can't protect my water system with arctic pac.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Falcon, thanks for the advice!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Personally I would not want all the road salt getting underneath a brand new coach

Tags
camping, winter