Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Winter storage

In another month I'll need to store our motor home for the winter. We have to keep it in an outside storage lot. I've seen opinions both ways on a cover, and think as long as it can breath, it's OK. What are your thought on jacks? Up or down? Down to relieve weight and pressure on tires, or up to keep the pistons from exposure? Anything else I need to worry about? I know I need to winterize the water and waste systems. We're in northern Delaware so we do get snow and cold.

Don & Deb, PBGV's Chipper, Harry & Nimrod
2016 Sightseer 36Z. 2015 Chevy Captiva. Roadmaster towbar and base plate, RV2 brake
"Wherever you go, there you are!"
rotorjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Change fluids and filters, engine and generator. Lube chassis.
We are able to keep plugged in to shore power. Check batteries regularly.
Mouse traps, checked weekly. Dryer sheets all over help too.
Tires on plywood, may help. I do it.
Jacks up to keep clean.
Air bags deflated.
This year I am going to leave the parking brake disengaged and block the wheels/tires. Says to do so in OM.
And a cover.

We had a class c that we kept covered for about 4 of the 5 years we had it. Weather got to the cover. It did help, I thought.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
  • Winterize
  • Jacks down just til they touch then a couple seconds to relieve pressure on the tires
  • Tires run up on boards or plastic shields
  • Wheels chok'd
  • Don't know if the dryer sheets really repel mice, but they do leave the coach smelling nice come Spring
  • Fridge & washer doors left ajar so they don't get musty
  • Remove any batteries from detectors
Covers do help, but they will last only 3-4 years. Then as dvmweb said, the weather gets to them. If you decide to cover, rremove anything you can that sticks up &/or has sharp edges (antenna, solar panels) & get a plastic swim noodle & cut it up in pieces to cover anything projecting that you can't remove. If you click on the Photo Albums hyperlink in my sig, look at the ADCO cover album.

If you aren't going to remain plugged in, turn off your battery disconnect switches & take your house batteries home w/you.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

storage, winter