Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Winter Storage- Battery Tender for House Batteries

Due to the difficulty of removing my two deep cycle 6 volts wired together to create 12 volts, I'm trying to avoid removing them for the winter. I live in the mid-Atlantic region of the country and while our temperatures don't get extremely low, we do get below freezing.

Is it OK to use a 12 battery tender on the house batteries over the winter so I don't need to remove them?

Thanks for your advice.
MaineToDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #2

Yes.

Think of your 2, 3 cell batteries as 1 bigger 6 cell battery. It adds up to 12 volts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

I have a number of Battery Tender products on cars and on trailers for the winch batteries. I have never had a problem with one of their products. First rate.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Despite the advice by many to remove your batteries for winter, I, like you, do not see the necessity of doing so. If someone wants a virtual guarantee that your batteries will survive the winter, perhaps storing them in a heated area may be the answer. My 2016 Minnie Winnie is currently stored outside and still has its original batteries which are still going strong. I religiously start and run the generator and chassis engine once a month, ensuring the batteries are fully charged and other systems are still functional. And if you haven't noticed, I live in Alaska where the winters aren't as extreme as they used to be, they are still six months long.

The upshot here is that my coach batteries are still performing as advertised. I did have to replace the chassis battery last summer, but that wasn't a surprise; it has to work pretty hard!

Proper maintenance is part of the "secret" to battery longevity and during the travel season I check the water levels regularly and ensure the terminals, cables, etc. are kept clean, corrosion free, and coated with battery protectant. Seems to be working fine for me.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Related thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/elec...-471040-2.html

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Doesn't your coach have a smart converter on board? If so, no need to add a standalone charger. Just hook your coach to shore power.

Richard
Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Doesn't your coach have a smart converter on board? If so, no need to add a standalone charger. Just hook your coach to shore power.

Richard
That’s what I was thinking... I have ours outside and connected to 120v20a shore power. The converter keeps the batteries at 100%.

I will still run the engine and gen monthly to keep everything moving, but the SP takes care of the batteries.
CWP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineToDC View Post
Due to the difficulty of removing my two deep cycle 6 volts wired together to create 12 volts, I'm trying to avoid removing them for the winter. I live in the mid-Atlantic region of the country and while our temperatures don't get extremely low, we do get below freezing.

Is it OK to use a 12 battery tender on the house batteries over the winter so I don't need to remove them?

Thanks for your advice.

Used one on my last coach which had 4 6v house batteries when coach was stored for the winter. I made sure batteries were fully charged prior to storage. Batteries were 8 years old when I sold the coach and were still going strong.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, house batteries, storage, winter