Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Winter Storage on MH Levelers?

Trying to find any information on long term winter storage, with the Hydraulic Levels carrying the coach weight, to help save the tires? You know, flat spots, cracks and so on. Have stored with the tires on wood boards in the past, but would like to improve if that makes sense. Maybe put the MH on blocks with the tires off the ground? Not sure the levelers and hoses would be good the best option under pressure for 5 months and 10 degs.

I have indoor cold storage at my house in Minnesota. Have a 2000 - 36t Fleetwood 5.9 Cummins, Class A, Air Ride system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider using blocks built up to w/i two inches of the height of your retracted jacks with air up. When you dump the air the retracted jacks will sit on the blocks and take weight off the tires and suspension...

Old 09-15-2016, 05:00 AM   #3

Thanks Steve,
Sounds like a simple and safe method.

Sam
Old 09-15-2016, 06:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Use your jacks that's what they are for...if level, you'll still have weight on the tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
x2 on using dunnage to build up under the retracted jacks with the suspension aired up. I build up the dunnage tight under the jack pad and then dump the air. Come spring the dunnage has sunk about 1-2" so once suspension is reaired it's easy to pull the dunnage.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My jacks are down nearly 365 days/year. Wherever we park, including at home in the off season, they are down.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stored our '02 DSDP with the front wheels/tires completely off the ground for 13 winters with no problems, BUT:
Newmar said it was OK
Spartan said it was OK
Koni said it was OK
Reyco Granning said it was OK
HWH said it was OK
Yep, contacted them all for clearance before doing it. Still had the original retraction springs and the rams were working fine without ever having to lube them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

What kind of blocks are we talking about? I'm guessing concrete, not wood. And how would you build them up?
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

Gary, you still have your tires on the ground, yes? My concern is keeping the 15 year old Hyd. hoses under great pressure when it freezes hard here. Breaking and leaking hoses?

Sam
Old 09-16-2016, 06:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
You probably have Power Gear jacks. If so change the fluid in the tank to Mercon V that will take cold better.

After weight is off the tires. Add 20% more PSI to them for storage but not more then the rims are rated for.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My jacks are down nearly 365 days/year. Wherever we park, including at home in the off season, they are down.
X2 down for storage. My coach has A Power Gear system and they recommend spraying the exposed shafts with silicone. Been doing it for 9 years with no problems.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #12

Triker56,
The 36t Discovery has full hydraulic levelers. Would be nice to change out to a full synthetic oil. Your ISB is a 275? Working well for you?
Old 09-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by samschudi View Post
Triker56,
The 36t Discovery has full hydraulic levelers. Would be nice to change out to a full synthetic oil. Your ISB is a 275? Working well for you?
The Mercon V is recommended by Power Gear over the Dexron II for cold weather use.

Your PG hydraulic tank will take 7.5 QT for drain and a refill.

In the 14 years I have owned the 275 I have replaced a cracked manifold once and one lift pump with the dash low pressure light connection.

It also has had the bigger Banks turbo kit put on that is no longer sold by them. And their brain box went out on mine. It also is no longer available.

While you are working on the PG system. It will pay you to seal around the outside top gasket area of the PG motor if it's not too late. Water can get in and cause a lot of rust problems to the motor.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #14

Store on Blocks

Yes you can use the levelers but why not take extra care of expensive stuff.
I store my 2015 Thor Palazzo on wood blocks made from stacked 2x8 pieces cut about 8" square (or whatever size would be slightly larger than your jack pads) Make them tall enough so that they will just slide under your jack pads when they are retracted AND your suspension is aired up. Then park the tires on fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) squares cut from a sheet of FRP from Home Depot. Anything non-organic will help prevent tire degradation better than concrete, wood, the ground, etc. Not as big a deal as sun light UV and atmospheric pollution but again, why not do all you can to take care of your gear? Drive onto the FRP pads, slide the wooden blocks under the jacks then deflate your suspension. Coach now sits on retracted jacks which sit on wooden blocks. Only weight on the tires is the weight of the un-sprung suspension components. Tires are isolated from the ground. This works easiest if parking on concrete but can be done on other firm surfaces. Learned this at the Freightliner school.

Tags
levelers, storage, winter