Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #15

I do not winterize and I often go snow skiing and boondock in the parking lot of the Ski Resort. I have survived 17 below zero without freezing. But it takes planning, thinking ahead, and some small modifications. My first motorhome was really good at handling the cold, my latest was very poorly planned and froze up easily. I had to do some re-plumbing to move the water lines up out of a bottom compartment and add a bunch of insulation along with a thermo operated recepticle to operate a heater for really cold (around zero) weather or just a 100w. light bulb for milder freezing weather.
I also have a EC30W automatic Generator starter so I don't have to run my generator 24/7. Keep in mind that there is alot of plastic, (hoses, fittings, etc.) on your motorhome and in freezing weather they break easily.
Plan ahead on when you will need Propane, keep fuel topped off, and plan on where and when you can dump and fill your fresh water tanks. You cannot remain hooked up to outside water as the hose will freeze so plan on running off your tanks. And keep in mind that the dump fittings will freeze, I put some pink antifreeze in my tanks when i dump to keep them from freezing.
Also check your route and find RV parks that are open where you will be wanting to stop.
Good luck, drive safe, and plan ahead.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #16

I flat out just would not do it. Other than traveling the MH will be useless. Yes you can use the heating system on propane or Aqua Hot if you have it to keep from freezing your butt off. Diesels and diesel fuel do not like the cold climates and aside from that, unless you have an engine heater and a very strong starting battery you might have some problems. Put anti gel in the fuel. Introducing water into the system, or waste into the tanks could prove to be very costly. You will be driving a winterized coach and forget about RV Parks or any others. Get used to rest stops and running the generator an awful lot. Getting stranded could prove to be a very, very bad situation.

You are probably saying this guy is really down on the idea. Well I managed to survive a similar trip a few years back but it was touch and go and I would NEVER attempt it again.

Yes you can do the things Stogie talked about. I guess I will be the one to ask why you would want to do this? IMHO I do not think you will get much enjoyment from your travels, other than seeing all the relatives which we all enjoy.

Think and plan VERY carefully

Dick

Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
We have camped in very cold temps and hooked to water and sewer. For water go to HD or Lowes and get a pipe line heating element, there are many lengths tO pick from and i wrap that around the water line spacing every few inches. I use extra line around the spigot. I then incase the water line in black pipe insulation and tape closed. I leave this in place the entire cold weather season. Next I cover the spigot with insulation and tape in place. For the water bay I wrap all pipes with insulation for the season. Remember to insulate, as others have said, the ice maker water line not only behind refrig but through the slide out if appropRiate. I sure there are more ideas out there and I would enjoy hearing about them. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsboyle View Post
We have camped in very cold temps and hooked to water and sewer. For water go to HD or Lowes and get a pipe line heating element, there are many lengths to pick from and i wrap that around the water line spacing every few inches. I use extra line around the spigot. I then in case the water line in black pipe insulation and tape closed. I leave this in place the entire cold weather season. Next I cover the spigot with insulation and tape in place. For the water bay I wrap all pipes with insulation for the season. Remember to insulate, as others have said, the ice maker water line not only behind refrig but through the slide out if appropriate. I sure there are more ideas out there and I would enjoy hearing about them. Good luck and safe travels.
I agree with you are saying and the measures you are talking about. I would think that if you were going up north to stay for awhile you could go to great lengths and somehow manage to fortify your coach against the cold. LA HODAC hit the nail on the head when he said "The OP is asking about using the RV in cold weather, not storing it". As soon as he leaves he will have to winterize the entire coach again. If its 10, degrees when he leaves on Jan 1 he will be in big trouble until he gets far enough south. I am in Illinois and the temp is in the low 20's at night. It just seems like an extraordinary amount of effort to see the folks at Christmas and I would be concerned about the safety of everyone. The family car or an airplane ride seems like the logical choice.

Hope everyone has a beautiful holiday season

Dick