Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Winter Travels

So I have a trip thats 6 hours east of here that I am going to be driving this weekend in the motorhome. This will be the first time I have taken the Motorhome on a trip with it being winterized and this cold.

Im going to be doing the normal maintenance checks and balances and that type of thing but does anyone have any tips or advice for traveling in this type of weather?

I live in Ohio and currently the weather is above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. I will be sleeping in the RV at night but wont be staying in it during the day. I have the propane tank full and ready for a 5 to 7 day trip. I wont be using the toilet or sinks or hauling water. the motor home is winterized in that regard. The only thing I can think is to have antifreeze to pour down the p traps after travels to replace the antifreeze that im sure could slosh out during driving.

Is there anything I am overlooking here? some tips or hints?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds good to me.
With my rig I've seen 25° in the morning but my wet bay was 42° and that was with no heat at all other than the outside temps rising to about 45° during the day.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
So I have a trip that's 6 hours east of here that I am going to be driving this weekend in the motorhome. This will be the first time I have taken the Motorhome on a trip with it being winterized and this cold.

I'm going to be doing the normal maintenance checks and balances and that type of thing but does anyone have any tips or advice for traveling in this type of weather?

I live in Ohio and currently the weather is above freezing during the day and below freezing at night.

I will be sleeping in the RV at night but won't be staying in it during the day. I have the propane tank full and ready for a 5 to 7 day trip. I won't be using the toilet or sinks or hauling water. the motor home is winterized in that regard. The only thing I can think is to have antifreeze to pour down the p traps after travels to replace the antifreeze that I'm sure could slosh out during driving.

What an I missing?

You are winterized and going to Keep the Coach above freezing - what is the worry?

Will it be Plugged in? If so, the Batteries will stay charged and the heat will function With no issue, If not you will need to run the Generator so as to have heat while sleeping the the Coach.

The only reason to to replace the antifreeze is if you run Water (It will freeze - air not so Much)

IMHO you are over thinking the issue - enjoy the Coach in the Winter - it has Heat.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
What an I missing?

You are winterized and going to Keep the Coach above freezing - what is the worry?

Will it be Plugged in? If so, the Batteries will stay charged and the heat will function With no issue, If not you will need to run the Generator so as to have heat while sleeping the the Coach.

The only reason to to replace the antifreeze is if you run Water (It will freeze - air not so Much)

IMHO you are over thinking the issue - enjoy the Coach in the Winter - it has Heat.

Best of Luck,
I have the ability to plug into a 110 outlet possibly. I ran the furnace the other day and realized it's possible to run off just the battery but I doubt it will run for a long period of time like that so I figured I'd have to run the generator or plug in. I've never been to the house that I'm going so I don't know what to expect as far as how close electric will be and that sort of thing.

I figured as far as keeping things safe I was good but I could experience some snow and will be in mountains so I'll need to be careful driving but nothing should be too terrible. Thanks for the reassurance
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

If it were me, I would add fresh water to it and use it as it was designed for. If the coldest night time temp will be above 15* and daytime near 40* your furnace should keep everything fine. Even if only plugged into a 15 amp outlet, the batteries will remain charged and the coach will be comfortable to live in. Just keep the propane tank above 1/3 and enjoy the trip.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
I have the ability to plug into a 110 outlet possibly. I ran the furnace the other day and realized it's possible to run off just the battery but I doubt it will run for a long period of time like that so I figured I'd have to run the generator or plug in. I've never been to the house that I'm going so I don't know what to expect as far as how close electric will be and that sort of thing.

I figured as far as keeping things safe I was good but I could experience some snow and will be in mountains so I'll need to be careful driving but nothing should be too terrible. Thanks for the reassurance
All the electric you will need will be 120 in order to keep the Batteries charged. (No Hair dryers or electric heaters)

I always carry a couple Hundred foot 12 ga extension cords just for what I'll call the "Driveway Camping" - Just find a good solid Electrical outlet and plug in to the garage or an outlet - Be careful with GFI's as many will kick out the Motor home because of all the "Phantom shorts - combined they will kick many a gfi.

If the batteries are good you should be fine running the Heat overnight - with a 120 connection you will be fine keeping everything warm - if you need some additional higher amp usage - Hair dryer - coffee pot - .... - just fire up the Generator and it will handle it fine.

Best of Luck,

We love to camp in the Winter.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If it were me, I would add fresh water to it and use it as it was designed for. If the coldest night time temp will be above 15* and daytime near 40* your furnace should keep everything fine. Even if only plugged into a 15 amp outlet, the batteries will remain charged and the coach will be comfortable to live in. Just keep the propane tank above 1/3 and enjoy the trip.
I am only using the motorhome for me to sleep in and to make the trip more roomy for everyone as we are headed to my gf's parents for the week for christmas. We will have 3 people and a dog and clothes, gifts, and food for a week. Could make the trip in the suv and save money on gas but everyone would be cramped. Also their house doesn't have enough place for everyone to sleep so its kind of a bonus to have my own comfy bed to sleep on.

I don't need to use the toilet nor heat the motorhome all day as ill be spending the day at the house not in the motorhome. So 5 to 7 nights of heating the motorhome for me to sleep in should be good with propane. I like to sleep when its colder anyway so I shouldn't have any problem getting the propane to last that long (not sure never camped and needed the furnace before)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
All the electric you will need will be 120 in order to keep the Batteries charged. (No Hair dryers or electric heaters)

I always carry a couple Hundred foot 12 ga extension cords just for what I'll call the "Driveway Camping" - Just find a good solid Electrical outlet and plug in to the garage or an outlet - Be careful with GFI's as many will kick out the Motor home because of all the "Phantom shorts - combined they will kick many a gfi.

If the batteries are good you should be fine running the Heat overnight - with a 120 connection you will be fine keeping everything warm - if you need some additional higher amp usage - Hair dryer - coffee pot - .... - just fire up the Generator and it will handle it fine.

Best of Luck,

We love to camp in the Winter.
I have probably 150 feet of good capable extension cords that I have used for one reason or another over the years that will work. I would think that would be plenty to get me to a plug. They said they have a circuit to their basement that I can plug into that wont have much draw to it. I don't anticipate needing much power at all as I wont be using the Rv for anything other than the furnace, lights to see as I walk to bed, and a phone charger.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Check tire pressure

Buy a ceramic heater
MaryKay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
Check tire pressure

Buy a ceramic heater
I check the tire pressure every time before my trips and I have a ceramic heater but what would the benefit of using the ceramic heater over the furnace?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
I check the tire pressure every time before my trips and I have a ceramic heater but what would the benefit of using the ceramic heater over the furnace?
Ceramic - quiet

If you are at a park you are using its electricity and not your propane.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
Ceramic - quiet

If you are at a park you are using its electricity and not your propane.
Will be at my girlfriends parents house using extension cords to plug into a 110 outlet. Want to be careful to not be tripping breakers or melting any cords. My house has forced air and im used to hearing that run so i doubt the rv furnace will be worse than that.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Will be at my girlfriends parents house using extension cords to plug into a 110 outlet. Want to be careful to not be tripping breakers or melting any cords. My house has forced air and im used to hearing that run so i doubt the rv furnace will be worse than that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJI9XMC..._t1_B00DYCC8J2
Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
No benefit, in this case, likely might just be an Issue with a 15 amp connection and a long extension cord.

Just turn the heat down to say 45-50 during the day - that will use very little Propane and make the coach so much more livable - We have done this sort of thing often and just used the water and the Dump tanks as everything is Heated.

Your Plan sounds sound - Enjoy the Visit and your own Bed.

Tags
travel, winter