Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

winter trips below freezing

I have a 2006 four winds hurricane. We are about to go on a trip were it will be below freezing.
The temps will be in the low 30s and high 20s. I am new to rving and not sure what to do about things freezing up. I will have my heat on and keep it around 65 to 70 for the wife and kids. I am worried about my holding tanks and fresh water tank. Thanks any help would be great.
Sardis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make sure your LP Tank is full and furnace is working before you go have furnace working and check the lower tank compartments and see if you have heat from furnace in there.
Here is some threads on winter traveling.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did a two-week trip last year where probably half of it was below freezing. We always stayed at camps with heated water taps and never put water into the tank; just used bottled water to flush and clean while traveling. We just hooked up to the water for a short time in the evening and morning and disconnected at night. Our MH has the internal furnace vents run through the water bay so the holding tanks and pump (though not used) didn't freeze. We left the hot water heater on. We had no problems the whole trip.

It is fun and enjoyable to camp in the winter. Just plan ahead and fix any problem that might arise. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

Thanks if I dont have heat in my wet bay would a small ceramic heater work to temps up.
I cant fit a heater in my water tank bay but I am going to look at tank pads. Thanks.
Sardis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

It's our first winter with our Thor ACE. We are planning on lots of winter camping, tailgating, skiing, etc. is winterizing necessary If i keep the heat going, do I stand a risk of doing damage? Did I mention we are in Cleveland? Does dip pretty low at times.
chefjay7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #6

Most Class A's that I'm aware of, leak a little heated air from the furnace into the water compartment. Others have heating pads for the tanks. But I've seen some manufacturers put them on top of the tank instead of underneath.

The water in the tank has thermal inertia...meaning it takes many nights of freezing temps to freeze it solid. And even longer if you park your RV so the tank side gets the sun most of the day. I've gone for weeks with 20°F nights and 40°F days. And several days/nights at 0°F nights and 20-30°F days. But when it got down to those temps, I'd put an electric heater in the bays. (Yes, a ceramic heater would work great). And left the under sink cabinet doors open. I also put in wireless thermostats so I could monitor temps near the tanks remotely.

If you don't have double paned windows, think about getting some insulating bubble foil to add a layer to them. And add winterizing pads to all the vents and the shower skylight.

It takes some work, but as long as the nights stay around 20°F +, and you get sunshine on the RV during the days, have a good source of LP for quick fill ups, and your electric is reliable, you'll be fine.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Thanks Jim!
chefjay7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Can the furnace be used while driving down the road?
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

I have a 2012 Newmar baystar and new to raving but last two winters I skied all winter out of RV every weekend in below freezing and no issues at all. I don't winterize and leave RV at 40 degrees during non use. Water tank never froze or holding . I do dump a little antifreeze in both holding tanks . My basement is heater and has prevented any freezing of pump or pipes.bought RV for a mobile ski house and so for 2 years and 14 k mil sit has really exceeded my expectations .
2012newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
Can the furnace be used while driving down the road?
Yes
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter