Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: reynoldsburg, ohio
Posts: 219
winter weather and rust

I have a question for the group..........my rv guy, who I trust, tells me that one of the worst things for an rv is driving in salty, slushy, snow and ice..........while traveling in bad weather might be tough, the salt and other chemicals they treat roads with are extremely hard on your rv........he recommends that if there is any salt on the road, the rv should remain parked.................I welcome all comments as there may be times that I want to leave central ohio for warmer weather, but there may be salt or salt residue on the roads............and I imagine that rinsing off the undercarriage of a 40ft class a isn't an easy job.............thanks
__________________

__________________
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Pelledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 333
Salt is corrosive to nearly all metals and yes our RV's are vulnerable as well. However, parking the RV to wait for the salt to disappear may defeat the purpose of the RV purchase in the first place. That said, the undercarriage as well as the entire RV can be cleansed of the nasty stuff as quickly as finding the nearest truck wash or any other such facility that can fit your rig. We typically go south for February and March and as soon as we reach a southern point where we see grass rather than snow, we seek out a suitable facility, usually a Blue Beacon Truck Wash. The charge is around $75.00 and worth every penny. They have long wands that easily reach all areas of the underside as well as sides and roof. Don't let road salt stop you. Icy roads or snow storms are another story and caution needs to be a priority. But salt and its residue are easily removed.
__________________

__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey 36GSE; 2014 CRV; Blue Ox; SMI AF-1
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Yes, the stuff they put on the roads is horrible for your undercarrage but as said it does wash off. Jim.
__________________
2015 A. C. E. 30.1
2004 F-150 Heritage
2004 Harley-Davidson Softtail Springer FXSTS
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Geocritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yorkville IL for now...
Posts: 562
My 1994 Class A HR lived in New York State from 1994 until 2010 and has quite a bit of rust. Having lived many years in the Chicago area I was used to rust but with the Godzilla size fasteners, on what’s actually a truck frame, the corrosion adds a new level of misery to under carriage repair work. My HR has an aluminum body so I’m sure the rust I see was accelerated by the presence of galvanic corrosion between the aluminum body and steel frame.
Fortunately, since I purchased my RV in 2013 I’ve become a sunbird spending my winters in sunny southeastern Arizona. Oddly enough I actually do miss the cold and northern snow but I definitely don’t miss the salted roads and gloomy northern winters.
Steve
__________________
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
I have a question for the group..........my rv guy, who I trust, tells me that one of the worst things for an rv is driving in salty, slushy, snow and ice..........while traveling in bad weather might be tough, the salt and other chemicals they treat roads with are extremely hard on your rv........he recommends that if there is any salt on the road, the rv should remain parked.................I welcome all comments as there may be times that I want to leave central ohio for warmer weather, but there may be salt or salt residue on the roads............and I imagine that rinsing off the undercarriage of a 40ft class a isn't an easy job.............thanks
jsmmonaco
Never drive in snow/ice.
(One nice thing about an RV is that you can wait out bad weather in comfort).
Avoiding salt residue is more difficult , but it can be somewhat cleaned off by driving over a lawn sprinkler a number of times.


Mel
'96 Safari, (in Wisconsin)
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12
THAT'S A GREAT IDEA. MAYBE ATTACH A BROOM STICK TO IT AND MOVE IT AROUND.
__________________
vstanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Annapolis,MD
Posts: 1,194
Driving your motorhome in winter weather with the
salt and the new brine solutions will be the most destructive
thing you can do. Even if you thoroughly rinsed with Salt-X
you will never get the salt all off, since driving in it sprays
the salty mess in nooks and crannys you could not imagine.
Water alone does not rinse salt off.
Ask any boater or fisherman that goes in the ocean.
JMHO
__________________
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jupiter's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Driving your motorhome in winter weather with the
salt and the new brine solutions will be the most destructive
thing you can do. Even if you thoroughly rinsed with Salt-X
you will never get the salt all off, since driving in it sprays
the salty mess in nooks and crannys you could not imagine.
Water alone does not rinse salt off.
Ask any boater or fisherman that goes in the ocean.
JMHO
Ditto. Others may have no issue but I will never subject the undercarriage to such corrosion. I got caught in snow in NC once and simply waited a few days for the roads to completely dry before moving on. My undercarriage may be out of sight, but it's not out of mind.

cheers,
Joopy
__________________
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Ditto. Others may have no issue but I will never subject the undercarriage to such corrosion. I got caught in snow in NC once and simply waited a few days for the roads to completely dry before moving on. My undercarriage may be out of sight, but it's not out of mind.

cheers,
Joopy

Here in Illinois that doesn't really work that well, it is better than driving in the salt slush though. Even after the snow is gone if the weather stays cold you can see the salt solution laying on the road as a fine white powder. Then you can watch this powder swirl up when a vehicle drives over it. This never really leaves until spring after a good amount of rain to wash it off. Since I also ride a motorcycle I wait for these rains to wash off the fine sand that goes on with the salt. Jim.
__________________
2015 A. C. E. 30.1
2004 F-150 Heritage
2004 Harley-Davidson Softtail Springer FXSTS
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Ditto. Others may have no issue but I will never subject the undercarriage to such corrosion. I got caught in snow in NC once and simply waited a few days for the roads to completely dry before moving on. My undercarriage may be out of sight, but it's not out of mind.
cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter
If the roads are salted while you wait a few days the dry salt residue remaining on the roads gets everywhere on your undercarriage when you move on.
Ask Any Wisconsin driver.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort walton Beach Fl
Posts: 781
Spray Salt Away on the underside with a garden hose, It is a great product to desolve the salt and protect the metal. I used it on boat in salt water for years, really make a difference. Available at West Marine
__________________
Larry
2016 Entegra Cornerstone
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
Spray Salt Away on the underside with a garden hose, It is a great product to desolve the salt and protect the metal. I used it on boat in salt water for years, really make a difference. Available at West Marine
x2
Also available on Amazon.
__________________
2015 Providence 42M, Cummins 450 ISL 9L), Allison 6-spd transmission, Freightliner chassis. Towing - 2017 Jeep Patriot (manual trans) with Air Force 1 brake system.
Save
Save
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jupiter's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Here in Illinois that doesn't really work that well, it is better than driving in the salt slush though. Even after the snow is gone if the weather stays cold you can see the salt solution laying on the road as a fine white powder. Then you can watch this powder swirl up when a vehicle drives over it. This never really leaves until spring after a good amount of rain to wash it off. Since I also ride a motorcycle I wait for these rains to wash off the fine sand that goes on with the salt. Jim.
I hear you, Jim (and Mel) about the salt residue. I've lived in PA forever where we have plenty of salt treated roadways. But usually the majority of salt residue is "driven" off the major highways (Interstate) after a couple days of dry weather. I can live with that. But I refuse to drive when the roads are still wet with salt water mist. But that's just me

cheers,
Joopy
__________________
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 3,863
When we see snow, we pack the skis and head into the mountains! I bought this coach to use and not sit still. How many over the road trucks sit out the snow and salt melt for days do you see? As far as washing the stuff off, I wait for a rain storm and then drive it around letting mother nature do her job.

So far after many years of skiing using the coach as our home, the battery hold down brackets are they only areas I see rust.
__________________

__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2014 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rust, winter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much rust is too much - fix or trade?? AK_smith Class A Motorhome Discussions 21 08-25-2015 07:57 PM
Dolly Winter Storage vettenuts Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 10 10-26-2014 12:35 PM
Flex Seal vs Leak Seal nmbefgror Gear and Product Discussions 2 06-21-2014 01:14 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.