Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
How cold was it?

It was so cold when I threw the pan of water out the door the ice block nearly killed the dog!
badaBING!! There are a lot of, "how cold was it?", questions...and none of them seem to end well.

A MH isn't insulated well enough to weather a northern winter. "nuff said from a newB that's just using common sense about weather patterns. Stay safe, stay south.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone who is fortunate enough to own a motorhome, should drive away from such awful weather. That's one of the advantages of having your home on wheels. If you must be there for the winter, sounds like you should rent a house and store the RV somewhere where it's a little warmer
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
There is nothing so crappy or frustrating than trying to keep ahead of the cold in a unit that was not designed or built for that kind of weather. If you had it in a heated shed you would be fine.

Worst part is - the weather will be absolutely terrible when something freezes and then you are out there trying to thaw it out or fix the problem.

Unless you had to be there because of a job and there were no alternate accommodations I would consider living there in the summer when it is really nice and then heading south for the few months when the cold was intense.

I lived in a winterized 5er in the 80's. I had the 5er built with extra insulation, double windows, heat tapes on the holding tanks, had the bottom sprayed with foam insulation. During two years I had 3 water breaks and 2 grey water tank freezing. The trap in the bathtub froze a number of times. I had the furnace as well as 3 electric heaters running. I had to leave all of the cupboard doors under the sink and the fridge open all of the time. It was not fun but I was working at the time and needed a place to stay.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #18

Brent, I hope you took a moment to click on the links I provided. They include parts one and two of the real life story of how an intrepid RVer winters in snow country. There are many examples of modifications, planning, and gear, to get your RV through a cold winter. I would be shocked if there isn't something in there you didn't know about.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

I would agree with others that unless you must do this, avoid it. As I mentioned, various odds and ends failed on my coach which I really attribute to the extreme cold -- I may be wrong and just the victim of timing, but I've had easily five times the repairs since the exposure to the cold than in the 3 years prior.

And don't underestimate the energy (propane and/or electricity) costs. Unless your coach is heavily insulated you will be going through gallons of propane a day -- so that alone adds up to hundreds of dollars a month.

Steve
Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Check this chart out Weather History for Rapid City, SD [South Dakota] for January

If you don't have to be there, I'd be gone by the end of September
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdxBrent View Post
Greetings,

My wife and I are considering moving to Rapid City in our Class A Winnebago, but we are concerned with possible severe winter weather; ...:

Brent.... You haven't said why you are considering this move. This is serious stuff-- if mishandled it can kill you. So,..... Why?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #22

Contact Rapid City KOA on E. Highway 44 at 605 348-2111. Speak with the manager (Carla). They have seven (7) winterized sites that they keep open for the winter. The snow level varies but serious attempts are made to keep access roads open. All facilities are closed for the season so self contained rigs are mandatory. Last winter was brutally cold so be prepared. External propane tanks (100 gallon type) are a necessity.

Heat tape for the water and sewer lines are absolutely necessary along with some type of skirting and heaters in the bays.

The blizzard on October 2, 2013 brought 10' drifts to the campground.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #23

I've been to that campground several times. 10 foot drifts! GAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gehlen View Post
Contact Rapid City KOA on E. Highway 44 at 605 348-2111. Speak with the manager (Carla). They have seven (7) winterized sites that they keep open for the winter. The snow level varies but serious attempts are made to keep access roads open. All facilities are closed for the season so self contained rigs are mandatory. Last winter was brutally cold so be prepared. External propane tanks (100 gallon type) are a necessity.

Heat tape for the water and sewer lines are absolutely necessary along with some type of skirting and heaters in the bays.

The blizzard on October 2, 2013 brought 10' drifts to the campground.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've lived in South Dakota most all my life. Rapid City is the banana belt of South Dakota. Very warm there in the winters compared to the rest of South Dakota. If they do get snow, it melts about as fast as it comes. Cold days never last for very long. Great place to live.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Read thru both links - lots of good info to consider!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Brent.... You haven't said why you are considering this move. This is serious stuff-- if mishandled it can kill you. So,..... Why?
We want to relocate to SD for various reasons and were wondering if the winters were as bad as we thought.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Be prepared to buy a lot of fuel and electricity and still be cold. There are some things you can do to help but at those temperatures your bound to have some issues with frozen waste tanks and plumbing. If there are other options I would give them serious consideration, it will be a long winter for you.
After reading the numerous excellent responses, we decided against a winter time move. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpark View Post
If you're serious, this is the most in-depth hands-on resource I've seen on the web:

Surviving Winter

Surviving Winter

I would not mind it in a house, at all, but a coach might be too much. I know it would be a test for many marriages. Good luck.
Excellent information. wow - things I wold have never thought of.

Tags
winter