Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Drained all the lines, water heater tank, water tank, and blew out the lines tonight. Supposed to go camping next weekend so I do not want to put in the pink stuff just yet.

Supposed to get down to 29F tomorrow night.

I even removed the lines from the water pump and run it for a second to get all the water out of the pump housing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I use my compressor from the garage and hook it up to the water tank and blow that out then the city water. I have the piece that hooks up like a tire nozzle and start to blow out the system. I open all faucets and then hit the air. Then start turning off the faucets from the closest to the furthermost away . I blow out the water heater. Same with the drains. Open the drains under the MH and blow them out also. Then close
Then I add anti-freeze (for MH water systems) I put in enough to get it to run thru to each faucet maybe 4 gallons and add a cup to each P-trap drains.
I block open the flapper in the toilet with the cleaner brush.
Might be overboard but why run the risk?
Tim
Glad i did it 24 degrees currently
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Silly question perhaps but I have never winterized my new RV. I will be doing that for the first time this year. I have the pink stuff but never used air to clear the lines. I see many on the forum that use air. Can you tell me the specifics regarding the method of using air? Where do you "plug" in the air line to blow out the lines? Can you use the filler hose off the fresh water tank I would normally use to draw the pink stuff? I also have an ice maker and say the pink stuff in the ice tray when I purchased it. I plan on running pink stuff after trying to clear with air. Any assistance and advice greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Anything more than what you posted Spritz? What connector should I use to hook up to the water line and do I need to worry about air pressure?
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You would open each faucet after putting air plug in the city water inlet.
Would let pressure build up in plumbing system and open each faucet until no more water in line, use to do with TT's all the time coach I have now always use the pink stuff to expensive to fix if a freeze problem.
If you have low point drains in your MH should open all faucet's and let water drain out than close faucets and pump in the pink stuff, some motor homes have a siphon hose to do this but you can use your fresh water tank after you have drained the FWT, DO NOT MIX anti with water won't work.
Here is a link to winterizing in first post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I just used one of the same air plugs. Set my air pressure around 35psi. I have read 40psi max but that may be specific to some systems. After allowing the pressure to build went around several times and drained each faucet and the low point drains.
Then put same fitting on the black tank rinse and just purged a few seconds.
Then added the pink making sure it comes out all faucets and low point drains.
If you have a washer and ice maker they require some special care also.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #62

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you 007 and Spk64 for the information. You have confirmed what I plan to do with the coach. Now I will need to get a fitting for the air to the coach. I can easily remove the fill hose from the fresh water tank and bypass it. I do have low water outlets and have drained the system before but not yet winterized the coach.
Previously I have placed pink in the fresh water tank (travel trailers and 5th wheel), ran it through the entire system and never had any freeze issues. The advice on the fitting will allow me to minimize the amount of pink and bypass the fresh water tank. I look forward to the process with the coach. Haven't figured out how to do the ice make in the residential fridge yet but I will make pink cubes if needed to be sure. No washer and dryer in the coach. Never found the need yet as I am still working. Maybe after I retire Dec 2016!!!
Again thank you all for the advice. For those squeaking in last minute trips before the snow have a safe trip.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I don't own a coach yet but have a large boat with all the same systems. On my ice maker I gently loosen the line feeding the ice maker as to control the flow of water coming out as I blow air through that line also with a small compressor hooked to the city water inlet. (This is done with the rest of the systems.) Then if you can I disconnect the small line if you have one on the other side of the solenoid and just blow that line out with my mouth, that water will actually enter the ice tray which is ok. Remember this the highest point in the coach. If it's too late to do that at this point try disconnecting that line behind the fridge and let it drain back. Just another idea.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #64

For those who aren't lucky enough to have a garage, do most of you bother with a cover or not?

I bought one, used it for the last 2 winters but thinking about not bothering this year, good or bad idea?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #65

I used it for one season...could not sell so discarded. A good wash will do the work.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
For those who aren't lucky enough to have a garage, do most of you bother with a cover or not?

I bought one, used it for the last 2 winters but thinking about not bothering this year, good or bad idea?
I recommend a cover any chance it is not being used. Previously I owned a 36 foot 5th wheel. It was a 2007 Cameo. The cover although heavy was put on every winter. Remember there are uv rays that also cause damage. I had one of our roof vent covers shattered into very small pieces without anything that I am aware of hitting it. I immediately replaced all roof vent covers. Depending on the location you might have a build up of leaves that could stain the roof and hold moisture.

You also have the roof, caulking and all plastics that might be subject to the uv ray damage. I am by far no expert but figure any cover is better than no cover. Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have no covers but if I did I would use it.
I have coverers for the AC units and I use them.
My MH sits in the driveway so I can remove the snow if need be.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
A possible word of caution with covers - I had a hard sided popup trailer a few years ago that I has a cover on it (stored outdoors). In my case, the cover served as a raceway for mice to enter the popup. Also, it raised the humidity level and caused mildew inside the popup.

Except for mice, this likely is less of an issue if stored under a metal canopy or indoors).
Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Will add also if a MH and you want to make a quick get away with the MH may not be able to if you live in north country and snow and ice will require some extra work to get cover off if your even able to.
We have to evacuate family because of chemical plant explosion and needed MH to live in for couple of days.
Never used them on 6 MH's they all seemed to survived with out one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #70

I Have an 2013 Entegra Aspire. I have tried to winterize it myself, I think I did it, but have a couple Questions. Could use some expert advice.

I have the pink water line antifreeze coming out all spigots including the toilets. What I am wondering about is the Ice maker, If I have antifreeze coming out the water line in the refrigerator is the Ice maker safe? ALSO I put a half gallon in the clothing washer and put it on spin cycle, is it safe? And if antifreeze is in all the water lines is my hot water heater safe. Thank you for any help...PatGarrett
PatGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter