Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #71
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Your owners manual should give you some instructions.
Your faucets and toilets are OK as far as the ice maker I never put pink stuff into it, I would disconnect the top hose off valve behind fridge and operate the wire switch rod on and water would flow back out of water line.
Any water in ice tray would use a paper towel or sponge to remove.
The feed to rear valve I would disconnect and maybe blow out, my feed feeds off a sink water filter I installed.
Others just pump the pink stuff into the ice maker and in spring make a few ice cubes to clear for use.
Here is a post on winterizing for further info.
Enjoy the forums.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
In my case, the cover served as a raceway for mice to enter the popup.
BAM!
Someone nailed my concern, first winter ('12-'13) I had no issues, last winter brought me a major mice issue this season, took most of it to get them all. I suspected that the cover is what aided their entry, maybe those who never used a cover can share their mice experiences???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGarrett View Post
I Have an 2013 Entegra Aspire. I have tried to winterize it myself, I think I did it, but have a couple Questions. Could use some expert advice.

I have the pink water line antifreeze coming out all spigots including the toilets. What I am wondering about is the Ice maker, If I have antifreeze coming out the water line in the refrigerator is the Ice maker safe? ALSO I put a half gallon in the clothing washer and put it on spin cycle, is it safe? And if antifreeze is in all the water lines is my hot water heater safe. Thank you for any help...PatGarrett
I'm no expert and perhaps that link above will further explain but just going by what you wrote:
- not sure about the icemaker but suspect if you ran the pink through you should be ok.
- besides dumping the pink stuff in the washer I would have made sure to run the pink stuff through the lines into the washer, if not and there is water in the line that can be a potential problem.
- as for the water heater, different strokes for different folks but I would have bypassed it altogether and just drain the water heater.

Don't forget to run pink through the toilet sprayers and outside tap, like I did my first winter...I got lucky.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Air is your friend for everything when it comes to winterizing. 15-20lbs. Start there then do the pink stuff. Be careful of any solenoid on the ice maker, everything stops there unless its calling to fill the tray. Bypass the water htr. for sure and drain it, you won't like getting it in there. Craftsman air compressor about $99.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winterized with the pink stuff tonite. Drained all the lines blew out with air compressor, and pumped in antifreeze.

I noticed my bypass valve for the HW tank did not isolate the tank. I still got some pink antifreeze in the tank. I was able to run the pump and get antifreeze to flow out of all the faucets and the toilet.

Poured about half a gallon of antifreeze down each drain. Left it to sit in the holding tanks.

Poured some down the toilet also.

I did drain the antifreeze out of the hot water tank and left it empty.

My only concern is there is still a little bit of water in the fresh water holding tank. I may need to drive the motorhome on level ground and see if it completely drains. It is sitting in the driveway and not real level.

Darn cold weather.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 AM   #75

Most importantly, whether you use the pink, or air method....leave all faucets and valves open......including the holding tanks...
Old 11-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #76
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why? Leaving them all open would dry out seals and washers and may draw flies into your holding tanks.
Place enough pink stuff into tanks to set behind the closed sewer blades and down the traps and close faucets so washers will not dry out.
One other location leave pink stuff in your toilet bowl so its sealed will not dry out and you will not need to replace the seal the following spring.
During the winter you may need to add more into the bowl because it will evaporate.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #77

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I opened the low water drains on my 2014 Tuscany 40EX drained the water heater, bypassed the filter, removed filter and left it out, opened all faucets and then blew air through the lines. Poured enough of the pink stuff down the all the drains to let it settle in the p-traps. That's all. I then went to Wal-Mart bought some cheap ceramic heaters and put them in the bus near the sink and rear bath. (my bus is always plugged into a 30 amp outlet in my barn) That's all I'm gonna do with the exception of the suggestion above from "kidoo" about wrapping the outside shower valve and head with some insulation or a bunch of rags. Never thought about that.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #78

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Overnight Low of 28

I am still good at lows overnight of 28 I'm told as long as the day temp gets above freezing.

We are getting an arctic blast of cold weather in here in North Texas tomorrow. Forecast for Thurs/Fri morning temps is 28-29 degrees.

I guess I can turn on the furnace to make sure there are no issues.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #79

The issue is the pipes that are exposed from outside. Furnace dos not help that much.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #80

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have anything hooked up to the coach except electrical while its at home parked...unless you are meaning the pipes down in the utility bay?
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #81

Some of the RV pipes and plumbings are behind the outside shell of the RV. Having the heater on warms the inside of the RV but dos not help to warm the ones closed to outside. Hence winterizing (using pink stuff) is necessary. Fridge, water heater, washer, are some of these.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Why? Leaving them all open would dry out seals and washers and may draw flies into your holding tanks.

Place enough pink stuff into tanks to set behind the closed sewer blades and down the traps and close faucets so washers will not dry out.

One other location leave pink stuff in your toilet bowl so its sealed will not dry out and you will not need to replace the seal the following spring.

During the winter you may need to add more into the bowl because it will evaporate.

I prefer this method for the same reasons. I have found that the pink stuff doesn't evaporate too fast especially if there is no warm air in the unit. But if it disappears too quickly it tells me it may be leaking pass the seal.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #83

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
I opened the low water drains on my 2014 Tuscany 40EX drained the water heater, bypassed the filter, removed filter and left it out, opened all faucets and then blew air through the lines. Poured enough of the pink stuff down the all the drains to let it settle in the p-traps. That's all. I then went to Wal-Mart bought some cheap ceramic heaters and put them in the bus near the sink and rear bath. (my bus is always plugged into a 30 amp outlet in my barn) That's all I'm gonna do with the exception of the suggestion above from "kidoo" about wrapping the outside shower valve and head with some insulation or a bunch of rags. Never thought about that.
Hi Camato5,

We have the same motorhome, I have the 2013 version EX. I wanted to mention that the ice maker solenoid is behind a small door outside, on the driver's side about eye level. It might be a good idea to drain the ice maker and get pink stuff into the ice maker too, since that valve is on an outside wall.

Also, we ran the washer through a cycle with hot/warm and cold water to get the antifreeze into that system as well.

I thought it was funny that I had to call Thor to find out where the shut off valves are for the water heater, they didn't know! By the time they found it somewhere in the prints, I had already realized it was behind the water heater itself, in the basement, behind a small panel requiring 4 screws to remove.

Good Luck with your Tuscany!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #84

I also saw some lines in the basement water bays that are very close to the outside panel. If you are below freezing and do not have heat in there they could freeze fairly quickly, especially with the wind blowing and quickly freezing things up.

The bay panels are insulated and I do have the 12 volt cargo heat on the valve system side of the RV. But some lines are on the other side of the RV without any heat, or merely just flowing from one side to other. The lines are going to the toilet, and it will get cold in there. I did add a heat duct from the furnace to heat both side of the water reservoirs and I added some pink foam panel between the door and the lines, now even when it get close to freezing like you say in Texas, the lines are protected.

The water lines on my Monaco are all on the inside, running along the walls. One that I am a bit concerned if I do not have pink in is the one behing the shower, no heat in there. But there is a little access panel in the room to get access to the faucet lines, if I open this panel, warm air will get in there.

Tags
winter